Montblanc Alexandre Dumas

Bryant

Initial Impression: 10/10

I never saw this pen in person until after I had bought it. It is much more amazing then it looked in all pictures I had seen. (As most pens do) I hope I can capture its beauty. As soon as I took it out of its package, it really lit up for me. It really has a unique look to it, and I feel it’s the most unique, though not my favorite of all the Writers Editions.

post-6300-1214293060_thumb.jpg

Look/Finish/Hardware: 10/10

The iridescent barrel really shines in the light. I don’t know what material it is, but it almost looks like Mother of pearl. The detail on the gold trim is fantastic and really classes up the pen. They could have easily put a cheesy strip of gold trim with no design, but I feel the detail on this pen really makes it. The Clip has a sword detailed on it, and feathers on the trim of the bottom of the cap. And of course it has his signature on the cap in gold. The nib is one of the best parts of this pen. It’s huge, just like a 149 nib but has a Fleur De Leis on it.

post-6300-1214293103_thumb.jpg

post-6300-1214293099_thumb.jpg

post-6300-1214293049_thumb.jpg

post-6300-1214293076_thumb.jpg

post-6300-1214293068_thumb.jpg

post-6300-1214293081_thumb.jpg

Feel/Balance: 7/10

The pen on a whole has a nice feel to it if you like larger pens. It’s not as comfortable to me as 149. I think this is because it is a little thicker. I think after some time I will grow to love this size more, just like the 149 grew on me.

I know that a lot of collectors say that you should not post your pens, but I don’t like pens as much that I cant post. This one is post able; in fact it feels off balance when I don’t post it. The weight is great. It feels solid in your hand but it’s not too heavy like some LE’s can be. This is important to me as I keep my pens in my top pocket.

post-6300-1214293093_thumb.jpg

Filling System10/10 Nib: 7/10 (would be a 8 but without flex, 7 will do)

The filling system is a Piston filler… So need I saw more? It stores a ton of ink for a rainy day of your favorite flavor. Just like the nib looks… It writes! The pen came with a Medium nib sticker, but it really puts a full wet Medium or Broad line down. It has an 18k Gold nib with the normal 4810 on it, but it also has the year 1996, which this Writers Edition was released. Broad nibs are not my favorite, but this pen has been great for check writing and signatures. The nib does not have much give, and for me that’s kind of bummer. I like a little flex, if not a lot! In fact, out of every Montblanc only my Starwalker has less flex. I don’t know if all of them came like this, but I cant imagine they would do that on purpose.

post-6300-1214293042_thumb.jpg

Price/Value: Price I paid: 9/10 Normal Ebay Price 7/10

Ok so obviously this is subjective, but I bought this NOS and without box and papers, and I feel got a great “deal” on it. For some collectors $1,000 is acceptable, and to a Bic user $10 is ludicrous. For a “limited Edition” (20,000+ the “accidental” releases) this pen mint with box and papers can pull down anywhere from $750-$1200 depending on the Ebay weather. I think this pen is worth the money, but I just have a hard time spending that much…

post-6300-1214293088_thumb.jpg

Overall: 9/10

I am extremely happy with my purchase. This pen was on my hit list, but it was not at the top. Amir (Good guy) pointed the sale out to me, because we both have love for MBs and he knew I was on the prowl for something new and exciting. I just want to thank him in the open forum for giving me the heads up on this great deal. So, thanks… And of course… It’s yours if I ever decide to sell it.

post-6300-1214293054_thumb.jpg

Chatterley Luxuries and Pentime

Web: Chatterleyluxuries.com

Email: Info@chatterleyluxuries.com

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bryant

• goodguy

• Brian

• Blade Runner

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've always liked the Dumas, but I also have a weakness for the Jules Verne. Not sure which I would buy if I was given the choice.

Great review. You're an awesome photographer, too.

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib

One of my favorite pens in the Writers Series.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2359/2194567056_5371b933a5_b.jpg

Cheers,

Sean

PenRx is no longer in business.

I've always liked the Dumas, but I also have a weakness for the Jules Verne. Not sure which I would buy if I was given the choice.

I too have a weakness for the Jules Verne, and eventually I own it. I say, why settle for just one? Go for both... :thumbup:

Edited by Bryant

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

This is another good review. I find this model to be unique in that there are no other 149 sized MBs other than the 149. I've used this pen since 1996 when the original model I had was stolen. I was very fortunate to purchase another replacement (in fact two of them! as a kind of overcompensation) that wrote as well as that original model. Keep yours close and enjoy it for many years to come.

Best regards

This is another good review. I find this model to be unique in that there are no other 149 sized MBs other than the 149. I've used this pen since 1996 when the original model I had was stolen. I was very fortunate to purchase another replacement (in fact two of them! as a kind of overcompensation) that wrote as well as that original model. Keep yours close and enjoy it for many years to come.

Best regards

Thanks for your kind words... Since you have had 3 of them. Did all of them have stiff nibs?

Really good photography, very nicely captured details!

Thank you very much!

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

Bryant,

Great review and stunning photography of my favourite WE. Some of the best photos I have seen of the detail of this pen. You really have captured the highlights in the resin barrel. Congrats.

Mark

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try" Mark Twain (American Humourist, Writer and Lecturer. 1835-1910)

Bryant,

Great review and stunning photography of my favourite WE. Some of the best photos I have seen of the detail of this pen. You really have captured the highlights in the resin barrel. Congrats.

Mark

Thanks Mark! It was a little hard to capture how the highlights look. It really does not do the pen justice as it looks amazing in person... Well you know!

B

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

Beautiful pen! Although, I am not a big fan of the cap, maybe if it had some GT around the top. Maybe I am just comparing it to the Proust pen... Congratulations on another fine pen, and thanks for sharing it with us.

Beautiful pen! Although, I am not a big fan of the cap, maybe if it had some GT around the top. Maybe I am just comparing it to the Proust pen... Congratulations on another fine pen, and thanks for sharing it with us.

Those were my thoughts at first as well. It kind of looked to me that it was a Frankin-pen... But after a few years its grown on me...

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

Hands down my favorite WE pen.

I will get me one of those pens some day.

Great review Bryant

Thx

Respect to all

Thanks for a very good review and photos.

Most WE pens are based on the 146. I love the MB 149's size and the nib's writing chacteristics, but only two of the WE's are 149 based - the Hemingway and the Dumas. The prices on Hemingways are run-away absurd, so the Dumas is the only one I can come close to affording. Hence, I have one on my long range want list. I have not heard anything bad about the FP version yet, and I appreciate your affirmation of the pen's quality. Dumas is not one of my favorite writers, but I love the pen. :thumbup:

Edited by FrankB

Hands down my favorite WE pen.

I will get me one of those pens some day.

Great review Bryant

Thx

Thanks Amir! And thanks again for the find!

Thanks for a very good review and photos.

Most WE pens are based on the 146. I love the MB 149's size and the nib's writing chacteristics, but only two of the WE's are 149 based - the Hemingway and the Dumas. The prices on Hemingways are run-away absurd, so the Dumas is the only one I can come close to affording. Hence, I have one on my long range want list. I have not heard anything bad about the FP version yet, and I appreciate your affirmation of the pen's quality. Dumas is not one of my favorite writers, but I love the pen. :thumbup:

I wish more WEs were 149 based as well. And you are right the Hemingway's are ridiculously priced now. Whats your favorite WE then?

Follow us on...

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

Best regards

Thanks for your kind words... Since you have had 3 of them. Did all of them have stiff nibs?

Yes, all three Dumas (2 pere & 1 frere) were stiff nib models. The nibs were/are: OB/B and M. While I miss the OB I have an Agatha with it and a 146 with a OBB. I love using them for signatures.

The dumas was a very unique pen, a sort of 138 with a very luxury finish, an exquisite pen.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

You've got to be kidding, 20,000 pens a limited release??? :roflmho:

5,000 pens souns more like a limited release. Looks like MB is desperate to sell some more of their overpriced "precious resins"

Ok, other than that, it is a beautiful pen with nice details!

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

You've got to be kidding, 20,000 pens a limited release??? :roflmho:

5,000 pens souns more like a limited release. Looks like MB is desperate to sell some more of their overpriced "precious resins"

Ok, other than that, it is a beautiful pen with nice details!

I'm telling you there is a MB pen in your future.

Respect to all