• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JulioPB

• jdboucher

• NeoTiger

• simonrob

Can anyone provide a writing sample using a Namiki Falcon?

I love mine, but don't have a scanner hooked up right now (plus, my handwriting is awful). There's one by 30cal in the penmanship forum at:

click here

Jon

Does the Falcon nib design have the shoulders of the nib with a cut-out to increase flexibility? Or is that just one interpretation among several? Which is the most popular version? I have heard both Pilot and Sailor mentioned with similar frequency.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

There are two different Falcon nibs, both by Pilot/Namiki.

First is the FA nib from the Custom 743 series, which is the nice big nib with the side cutouts for flexibility.

The other is actually not just a nib, but a pen called the Pilot Falcon or Namiki Falcon. This pen only comes with the flexible nib, which does not have the side cutouts but rather a unique fold across the nib that gives flexibility.

First is the FA nib from the Custom 743 series, which is the nice big nib with the side cutouts for flexibility.

The other is actually not just a nib, but a pen called the Pilot Falcon or Namiki Falcon. This pen only comes with the flexible nib, which does not have the side cutouts but rather a unique fold across the nib that gives flexibility.

Hi NeoTiger:

I am planing to buy a Namiki Falcon for normal writing (not calligraphy), just want to try the smothness and the flexibility. I was thinking a B nib, because I don't like the too narrow Japanesse nibs; but I am fine with my VP with an M nib.

Do you think the B nib in the Namiki Falcon would be too wide?

Appreciate your comment.

Julio

Hi NeoTiger:

I am planing to buy a Namiki Falcon for normal writing (not calligraphy), just want to try the smothness and the flexibility. I was thinking a B nib, because I don't like the too narrow Japanesse nibs; but I am fine with my VP with an M nib.

Appreciate your comment.

Julio

In my experience (I have two Namiki Falcons, a medium and a broad) Namiki Falcon nibs don't run narrow; my broad, perhaps because it's a wet writer and fairly flexible, is at least as broad as any Western broad I've encountered (not counting italics, etc., which tend to run wider).

Incidentally, there's another range of flexible Pilots, their so-called "soft" nibs (which are available in their less expensive Custom 74 series as well as 742 & 743); these are available in four widths (f, m/f, m, broad). They aren't as flexible as the FA nib, but that's only available in one width. I've not compared my 74 soft m with my Namiki Falcon m side-by-side, but I suspect that overall they offer similar performance if all you're going to use it for is "normal writing".

Simon

[edited to remove errant emoticon]

Edited by simonrob

Hi NeoTiger:

Appreciate your comment.

Julio

In my experience (I have two Namiki Falcons, a medium and a broad) Namiki Falcon nibs don't run narrow; my broad, perhaps because it's a wet writer and fairly flexible, is at least as broad as any Western broad I've encountered (not counting italics, etc., which tend to run wider).

Incidentally, there's another range of flexible Pilots, their so-called "soft" nibs (which are available in their less expensive Custom 74 series as well as 742 & 743); these are available in four widths (f, m/f, m, B). They aren't as flexible as the FA nib, but that's only available in one width. I've not compared my 74 soft m with my Namiki Falcon m side-by-side, but I suspect that overall they offer similar performance if all you're going to use it for is "normal writing".

Simon

Hi Simon.

Thank you for your comment, and thanks God for looking this thread and the writing samples.

Do you think the Namiki Falcon M nib has a similar width than a Pelikan M nib? in a normal writing, with no pushing it for flexibility.

Really appreciate your response

Julio

My Medium Falcon is finer than my (ex)Pelikan fine.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I, like Julio, enjoy the width of my medium pelikan. Does that mean i should get the Falcon in Broad?

Well of course, everyone has their own preference for nib widths. My advice would be to get one that's smaller than your usual preference, in order to be able to appreciate the thick-thin lines that the nib will produce (ie, I prefer the lines to be thin and thick, as opposed to thick and thicker).

I have a Falcon, with a fine nib, and have to say that it writes a wider, wetter line than most of my medium-nibbed pens, so much so that I almost never use it for anything outside addressing letters. Thought it would be a nice thin, though expressive, line, but it hasn't been the case so far. My Lamy fine is a much, much narrower line.

It's on the way back to Pilot shortly for a tune-up, since it's a relatively new pen.

Other than that, it's a nice pen - well-made, good balance, holds a reasonable amount of ink (couldn't they all hold a little more?).

I have a Falcon, with a fine nib, and have to say that it writes a wider, wetter line than most of my medium-nibbed pens, so much so that I almost never use it for anything outside addressing letters. Thought it would be a nice thin, though expressive, line, but it hasn't been the case so far. My Lamy fine is a much, much narrower line.

It's on the way back to Pilot shortly for a tune-up, since it's a relatively new pen.

Other than that, it's a nice pen - well-made, good balance, holds a reasonable amount of ink (couldn't they all hold a little more?).

Thank you Met:

I am very confused about Pilot Namiki Falcon width nibs. Some threads say that nibs are narrow as usual Japanesse pens, and other say they are wider. And the pics showed here seem to demonstrate they are wider as you say.

That is why I have asked as well as JDBoucher did.

Still confused,

Julio

The reason for the wide variety of opinions regarding the nib widths of the Falcon is because everyone writes with slightly different pressure. People who write with a very light hand will say it is fine, while those who write slightly heavier will write wide.

The reason for the wide variety of opinions regarding the nib widths of the Falcon is because everyone writes with slightly different pressure. People who write with a very light hand will say it is fine, while those who write slightly heavier will write wide.

Thank you NeoTiger:

That means that in a "normal" way of writing, no pressure, the Namiki Falcon nibs are narrower than europeans nibs, as usual in Japanesse nibs, Is that true?

Julio

Another variable is choice of ink. I have a medium nibbed Falcon. With any ink other than Noodlers Bulletproof Black, it writes too broadly for me (and feathers too much when flexed). However, with Noodlers black, I can get nice hairlines that are as fine as the lines produced by a typical firm Asian fine nib with other inks.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Another variable is choice of ink. I have a medium nibbed Falcon. With any ink other than Noodlers Bulletproof Black, it writes too broadly for me (and feathers too much when flexed). However, with Noodlers black, I can get nice hairlines that are as fine as the lines produced by a typical firm Asian fine nib with other inks.

Again thank you Lloyd,

Julio

Hi Simon.

Thank you for your comment, and thanks God for looking this thread and the writing samples.

Do you think the Namiki Falcon M nib has a similar width than a Pelikan M nib? in a normal writing, with no pushing it for flexibility.

Really appreciate your response

Julio

Sorry, I can't answer that (assuming you're talking about modern Pelikans) - I only have one Pelikan M nib, and it's a vintage one with a good deal of flex that probably doesn't compare to a modern Pelikan M nib.

Simon