13 replies to this topic

#1 JJBlanche

JJBlanche

Lost in a sea of ideas...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 18:32

Attached below is an image of a writing sample with Noodler's Legal Lapis, and below that, the review proper. Regarding the image, "lorem ipsum" is a nonsense language used by printers to showcase a font/color (ie: it takes focus away from content and puts it on aesthetics). The water test was performed by submerging and agitating a sample swatch of the given ink in reverse osmosis water for thirty seconds, then letting it drip dry.

A key has been added, written on Clairefontaine paper, with a number of different inks for reference.

Standard Disclaimer: Image provided only to give a general sense of the color. The vibrance and nuance are typically lost when an ink is digitized.

Review

When I write a review, I first focus on color, and award an ink 0 to 100 based upon that alone, separate from other considerations. I then deduct points from the color score for defects (ie: lack of flow, creep, etc), to arrive at an overall score.

Color

Noodler's Legal Lapis is a pleasing shade of grey-blue. Out of all the inks I've tested, it very closely resembles Sailor Blue-Black, albeit bluer. It does not exhibit much shading in my pen. Overall, I find Legal Lapis to be a decent color, but it's ultimately drab and uninteresting, at least from my perspective.

Color Score = 80

Deductions

Legal Lapis is the messiest ink I've tested to date, but has less nib creep when compared to other Noodler's inks (although creep is still present).

Bonus Points

I was simply amazed at Legal Lapis' performance on the water test. When I was pasting the swatch to my review sheet, I had to remind myself that I'd actually dunked it (the only give away was the wrinkled paper). 100% bulletproof
+6

Overall Score = 81

#2 The Bantam Scribbler

The Bantam Scribbler

"Peel Slowly and See"

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:06

Thanks for this review! I agree that the color doesn't seem quite as deep or complex as Diamine Blue-Black or Noodler's Navy (my two "Holy Grail" Blue-Blacks), but the waterproof characteristics certainly are interesting, and I've heard no less than a hundred people recommend Legal Lapis with as much surety and strength of conviction as might be expected from a small religious movement. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I'm going to end up having to try LL sooner or later!

#3 lws

lws

Engineer, mathematician, artist, geek.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2010 - 02:11

@ The Bantam Scribbler:

Just buy a bottle already. Depending on pen/paper, it can either be a dull blue-gray or a rich blue-green; as for the permanence, I really value the knowledge that the words I put on the paper will still be there in ten year's time - unlike the stuff I've written in Parker Quink (most of which has faded after a scant three years.)

- Lewis.
Li-aung Yip (Lewis)
B.Eng. (Elec&Electronic) + B.Sc (Mathematics) James Cook University - MIEEE GradIEAust
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 drifting

drifting

scramblin'

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 06:07

The scan is accurate on my monitor, though it seems more lively in person, in my opinion. As lws says, LL is a highly variable creature, and if it seems drab and uninteresting (as the OP describes) in one pen, try another, and you might be surprised!

Just how did this review go two years without a comment?

Ryan.

#5 tnmike1

tnmike1

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:31

I switched from a lot of Noodler inks to Herbin just recently, but kept my bottle of Legal Lapis. Don't care much for the color, but OOO the permanence. Put a paper with Lapis written on it under running water and nothing happens: nothing washes away, but the ink just sticks there. Plus, unlike other Noodler waterproof/bulletproof inks, there's no nib creep in any of the pens I use it with.

So I keep several Herbin colors that I enjoy, but for letters and check writing, always turn to the Lapis

Forgot to mention: using this in a Pelikan with "M" nib and a Pelikan with "F" nib and they both shade wonderfully in my Rhodia tablets. Your experiences may vary--as I find they often do in these reviews, but for me the shading is a real plus. BTW--nibs were "tuned" by Richard Binder

Edited by tnmike1, 11 September 2010 - 13:18.

Knoxville TN & Palm Coast FL

#6 Glenn-SC

Glenn-SC

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 13:19

Sorry, but that color does nothing for me.

#7 drgoretex

drgoretex

zookeeper of teenagers

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2010 - 18:00

Two bottles on the way. Can't wait.

#8 Alexandra

Alexandra

Inked and Ready

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2010 - 18:26

Thanks for this review! I agree that the color doesn't seem quite as deep or complex as Diamine Blue-Black or Noodler's Navy (my two "Holy Grail" Blue-Blacks), but the waterproof characteristics certainly are interesting, and I've heard no less than a hundred people recommend Legal Lapis with as much surety and strength of conviction as might be expected from a small religious movement. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I'm going to end up having to try LL sooner or later!

Is that an alternative to the BSB cult? It makes me think of iron gall ink that doesn't turn black.
Posted Image
www.lettermatters.com
P.O. Box 196 Kingsburg, CA 93631

#9 Possum Hill

Possum Hill

It's just ink. Get a grip.

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,399 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 21:30

Is that an alternative to the BSB cult? It makes me think of iron gall ink that doesn't turn black.

You can belong to more than one cult at once here, no need to look for alternatives.

LL is my overall favorite general purpose ink just because it exactly fits some notion I have of how real ink should look. I used Skrip blue-black for years but it just wasn't quite right. As soon as I tried it I knew LL was the one.

However, I recently bought a bottle of Diamine Registrar's Ink from Goulet Pens and it is clearly real ink in the same sense as Legal Lapis. The color change is fascinating and the final blue-grayish black is very attractive, though I'm not sure I've been using it long enough to see the real final color.

So, by all means give LL a try and whatever you think of it, you can expect there will be even more good stuff to try after that. (And BSB is very nice, too.)
"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it." -- Winston Churchill

#10 Alexandra

Alexandra

Inked and Ready

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2010 - 23:43

You can belong to more than one cult at once here, no need to look for alternatives.

LL is my overall favorite general purpose ink just because it exactly fits some notion I have of how real ink should look. I used Skrip blue-black for years but it just wasn't quite right. As soon as I tried it I knew LL was the one.

However, I recently bought a bottle of Diamine Registrar's Ink from Goulet Pens and it is clearly real ink in the same sense as Legal Lapis. The color change is fascinating and the final blue-grayish black is very attractive, though I'm not sure I've been using it long enough to see the real final color.

So, by all means give LL a try and whatever you think of it, you can expect there will be even more good stuff to try after that. (And BSB is very nice, too.)

"You can belong to more than one cult at once here, no need to look for alternatives." In that case I'll have to order a bottle. Then I can have my bright blue days, my subdued blue days, and every day a waterproof day. :lol:
Posted Image
www.lettermatters.com
P.O. Box 196 Kingsburg, CA 93631

#11 JohnS-MI

JohnS-MI

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2010 - 00:03

"You can belong to more than one cult at once here, no need to look for alternatives." In that case I'll have to order a bottle. Then I can have my bright blue days, my subdued blue days, and every day a waterproof day. :lol:

Yup. more ink is ALWAYS the answer.

LL is not my favorite color, but it is a waterproof, bulletproof, cellulose reactive ink, and it is extremely well behaved and flows well. Some of the nicer blue permanent inks give various causes for concern, and LL isn't a bad color, just not a GREAT color (in my view).

(My three main inks are Noodlers Black, Noodlers Legal Lapis, and Mont Blanc Blue-Black. I better think of something important to say, as my words are there to stay.)

#12 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,645 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2010 - 00:26

I like Legal Lapis because it reminds me of an old aged ink like on some old legal document. It does tend to have some nib creep but I really enjoy using it in my 1928 Parker Duofold.

#13 RayOski1

RayOski1

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:09

This is really a green-black. If you want a true blue-black, go with Noodler's Ellis Island.

#14 jgrasty

jgrasty

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:13

When I first bought this ink at the Dallas Pen Show last year, I didn't like it at all. It grew on me, though, and I've used it for the past 2 weeks in my daily workhorse.
Regards,

Joey

In use: Pelikan M200 Green Marbled (EF nib) with Noodler's Black and Pilot Fermo (M nib) with Noodler's Legal Lapis.