My everyday notebooks and pads

inkypete

It is my belief that the modern Moleskines were designed for the ballpoint pen market, and the company really doesn't give a hoot that their paper doesn't work for fountain pens.

Where they went wrong was in allowing their advertising to emphasize their "continuity" with the vintage Moleskines of yesteryear. THOSE Moleskines were clearly fountain pen compatible.

I think a lot of fountain pen users today think that Moleskine has a moral obligation to fix the paper in the modern notebooks -- because of the advertising!

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkypete

• Jake

• xena

• Gawain

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been pretty lucky I guess with Moleskines and haven't had any huge paper issues.

I started making my own daily planners but for quick notes and project notes, I use the Apica CD-11's, they are cheap, hold ink really well, they are thin and paperbacked making them easy to keep laying around and easy to carry.

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.” - Robert McClosky

It's so disheartening to read all this talk of the unreliability in Moleskine. I got my first one today (I also got a No. 16 Rhodia because I had already read such poor reviews of Moleskine here) and I absolutely love the paper. The journal itself is good, though I'm not as in love with the style as many people seem to be. It's depressing that (apparently) I might not ever get another one with the same good paper.

The Rhodia is really nice, though. I'm not too big on the cover folding over the top bit, but it's not really a big deal. The paper's pretty gorgeous, though a big problem I have with it is the margin. (I get lined because if I don't my lines tend to sink at the end) There's no margin on the right side of the paper, and on the left (this is a 6" x 8" notepad, mind) there's a 1.5" margin! Nonsense!

Despite these shortcomings, both already observed (in the Rhodia) and expected (in the Moleskine) by me, I'll probably buy both again, at least until one disgusts me enough to put me off it.

To answer the original question, though, No. 16 Rhodia for lists and letter-writing (I just ignore the margin) and a large Moleskine for journaling, random observations, poetry, etc.

Lectori salutem

Hi,

Everyday: [...] Rhodia pads [...]

How do you get Rhodia pads? Do you just ship them, or have you found a local distributor?

-s

Hi,

How do you get Rhodia pads? Do you just ship them, or have you found a local distributor?

-s

I'm not sure where you are. If they aren't available locally I recommend you order online from Pendemonium. They have great online service and are very reliable.

www.pendemonium.com

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

I've gone from spiral notebooks to extra compostion pads the kids were required to get for school.

I presently have a moleskin for my work journal and I have a generic journal for home, both bought at Barnes and Noble. Both seem to be ok with fountain pen ink. I am going to check out the Apica and Rhodia papers.

I have a Sheaffer Life time with Borealis Black Noodlers Ink (free bottle in the goody bag at the Triangle Pen Show) and it does show through to the other side of the page. This can be a little distracting. I am still playing with a new Lamy Safari with the original cartridge with blue ink. This does not show through the paper.

The key to life is how well you deal with Plan B.

I have found the perfect notebooks for me six years ago. They are produced by the German company König & Ebhardt, Europe's oldest account book factory. An example can be found here.

Regards

Hans-Peter

Hi,

-s

That will really depend on where you are. I'm in the Minneapolis/St Paul MN area of the US, and I have a local art store that carries them. I just got my first #18 pads, and I really like them. The store sells online, so you could check them out for mail order. Wet Paint Art.

Nota Bene in Canada also sells them, if that works out better for you.

Standard disclaimer: I am not associated with either of these stores except for Wet Paint being the ruthless enablers of my art supply addiction. I haven't even bought from Nota Bene. :)

Like I said, I just got those #18 notebooks, and it's great. All my pens just glide on it. I also picked up a ream of Neenah Classic Linen (natural white) to use for correspondence and maybe making some journals. That's also really nice paper. Perhaps a bit less impressive than Strathmore Writing, but it was $12 instead or $22, which is nothing no sneeze at.

http://www.dragonseptarts.com/images/favicon.gif Dragonsept Arts and Publishing - Free and open culture

My Public Key: F1BC60E6

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind." — Rudyard Kipling

"In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act." — George Orwell

Office Depot composition books.

But I might switch to Mead.

James- I picked up a couple of Staples Comp Books over the weekend. The paper is smooth,and work well will all my pens, except a very wet and juicy writing Ancora Perla pen with a med nib that writes like a broad. And they cost me $2.49 apiece.

I use basic ruled Moleskines. What's wrong with the paper?

Those black stitched Clairefontaine notebooks look attractive, but 6 x 8 is too large for my pockets. If the company made one in a size identical to the Moleskine, I'd try it.

After having 3 or 4 Moleskin I am an "absolutely never again" person. The paper variation is remarkable. They feather and bleed way too much for an expensive notebook. Clairefontaine, Rhodia and Field Notes use fabulous paper.

About five years ago I tried my first Moleskin, one large and one pocket-sized, and just fell in love with the silky paper. It took me a long time to use them up (I'm not a very consistent journaler), so I finally ordered a second just last fall. Totally different paper - rough and patchy. Has anyone ever compiled the oodles of representative complaints about Moleskin paper quality from forums like these and sent them to Moleskin (or whoever owns them)? I'm not volunteering... I just wonder if they're responsive to consumer feedback!

I have been trying a Paperblank recently, but find it a bit feathery. And when I use non-FPs, the writing shows through the backside with a strange yellowish halo. Weird.

MM

Recently I came across my stash of Clairefontaines, which I bought in France in 1983 and tucked away as too special for casual use. I suppose that now that they've been readily available here for many a year, I could go ahead an use them--but now they're vintage, historical artefacts!

I have oodles of gorgeous worked leather notebooks but unfortunately they are all filled with the most abominable Soviet paper, sort of like paper towels that have been ironed. Mostly I'm a sucker for hardbound journals that are either sombre black or totally glitzed up. But overall they are too large and heavy to carry around for my meagre daily needs.

I'm not sure I should confess this, but mostly what I use are all those return envelopes sent out with begging letters. They're so practical: make a list on the outside; stuff any relevant coupons or directions inside; they're flexible and can be folded to fit any pocket or purse; economically and ecologically a sound use of otherwise unneeded material.

OK, OK, maybe I need to make a sophisticated set of silk covers to hide the envelopes in.

Swanquill, a.k.a. Lea

I'm not sure I should confess this, but mostly what I use are all those return envelopes sent out ...

Great idea.

I'm not sure I should confess this, but mostly what I use are all those return envelopes sent out with begging letters. They're so practical: make a list on the outside; stuff any relevant coupons or directions inside; they're flexible and can be folded to fit any pocket or purse; economically and ecologically a sound use of otherwise unneeded material.

Great confession! I'm going to start doing that! I've done it inadvertently once or twice, needing to scribble a number down quickly or whatever, but now that you mention it, it's worth doing on purpose! That's a great tip. (as a notebook supplement, not replacement)

• 2 weeks later...
Recently I came across my stash of Clairefontaines, which I bought in France in 1983 and tucked away as too special for casual use. I suppose that now that they've been readily available here for many a year, I could go ahead an use them--but now they're vintage, historical artefacts!

I have oodles of gorgeous worked leather notebooks but unfortunately they are all filled with the most abominable Soviet paper, sort of like paper towels that have been ironed. Mostly I'm a sucker for hardbound journals that are either sombre black or totally glitzed up. But overall they are too large and heavy to carry around for my meagre daily needs.

Wow: most impressive. I was born in 1983, and my most recent nice notebooks date from four or five years ago.

-Jake

I'm not sure I should confess this, but mostly what I use are all those return envelopes sent out with begging letters.

Too funny, I save all business reply/postage-paid envelopes from junk mail and let my neighbors' kids (don't have any of my own) draw pictures and send jokes in them. We figure their employees can use a laugh once in awhile. ;)

All the Clairefontaine and Rhodia fans will not like it, but, after buying a few varieties of each, I am nowhere near impressed enough by either of them. They're both kind of unpleasant to me. I actually find myself going back to the Moleskine more often. For correspondence, it's Strathmore 100% cotton wove, for notes, Colonial Williamsburg handmade papers are just cool.

I also tried the Staples comp books and didn't like them at all, I'm wondering if the Mead are any better.

ETA: My new six-pack of Apica CD-11s arrived today via Molly, and I'm sold. I really like it so far, the paper isn't slimy or spongy the way I found the Fancy Fwench Clairfontaines, and much crisper than the Rhodias I tried. Plus, they lie flat, have cool (albeit a little wimpy) covers, and wider rules. Added bonus, they're cheap!

Now, do I want to go for the leather cover???? :)

Edited by AfterMyNap

—Cindy

“This is the sort of pedantry up with which I will not put.”

—Winston Churchill (attributed)

I'm a new type fountain/pen and paper lover!

I bought a Waterman Phileas which I fell in love with.

The other day I was at Barnes and Noble and bought the Moleskin quad ruled journal. OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!! It seems like the pen doesn't even touch the paper! Ink is laid down on my moleskin journal effortlessly. It is truly the most amazing writing experience I have ever encountered in my 54 years of life. Its like millions of ball bearings are between the pen and paper. Actually, smother than that. Its like I'm writing on air!

Thoreau "for every thousand hacking at the branches of evil, there is one chopping at the root"

i have not been disappointed in my moleskin pocket hard bound, nor in the regular cahiers. I just don't use a really really wet writer on it

my phileas does just fine.

As a leftie, I struggle with finding the right notebook. So like some of you, I've gone to the printers with my own design.

I use Cornell notetaker format. I've found A5 ideal.

Here's a picture.

http://jonathan.hs.cheng.googlepages.com/notebook.jpg

http://jonathan.hs.cheng.googlepages.com/SigGoodMen.jpg