My everyday notebooks and pads

inkypete

Office Depot composition books.

But I might switch to Mead.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkypete

• Jake

• xena

• Gawain

Top Posters In This Topic

For my journal, a disc bound journal with covers made from my DS9 dvd case, I cut and punched some 32# resume paper (pinstripe style). For daily notes at work I've got junior and letter size disc bound notepads that may have a variety of my own paper, punched handouts, and I use the back of scrap paper before it is thrown away. If those notes end up being something I need to keep, I generally recopy them, or at least summarize salient points onto nicer paper.

I've always cut scrap paper in fourths and used the super jumbo binder clips for my phone pads. But I think I'm going to start disc binding that as well. The binder clips annoy me by getting in the way all the time. I think the annoyance factor will more than cover the small time it takes to punch a bunch of it.

RIght now I use Miquelrius notebooks for class... although classes just ended. Moleskine for my personal journal alhtough I might switch back to a large Rhodia pad again, they're a great size, solid and cheap(er)

Mostly I use Clairefontaine and Circa (old stuff from Levengers), pretty much switching off when the mood or subject matter varies. I have a Circa punch, so it's easy to add the Clairefontaine pages to a Circa notebook (yeah, the pages are a little different in size, but it doesn't matter to me).

For my journal, I'm using a Moleskine (fortunately, with good paper). I have several others that I bought at the same time, so I'm hoping the paper will be of the same quality. If so, it will be a while before I need to see what is available nowadays.

I do have some Apicas but they are soft cover so I don't reach for them very often since I sometimes - though not often - write where I don't have a hard surface to write on. The Circa notebooks have leather or plastic covers and I can write in them without support for a little while. Same with the Clairefontaine, with an especial favorite being the hard-backed pads.

I have been known to buy whatever will work with fountain pens when I'm out and don't have my tote with me. Since I have a stash of the "good stuff" that's over a foot and a half high, I certainly don't need any more paper! I guess what I do need to do is remember to take my tote with me more often. B)

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

For school/note-taking

- Apica is the new favourite for a variety of factors. The size, cost, paper and quality.

For other purposes

- Rhodia notepads (both A5 and A4)

- Whitelines

Clairefontaine paper is really good, but ink dries too slowly on the paper for my taste. I want to like it but it's just not practical for me.

For note taking at work I usually use a Cambridge Limited notebook, or a Tops Docket Gold (20 lb.)

Don't really care for recycled paper - it seems to suck the ink right out of the pen - my fine nib writes really heavy lines.

I just picked up a Staples brand composition book. I like the college ruled styles best.

For casual note taking while walking around I use 3x5 lined index cards. I always keep a few in a leather holder in a hip pocket. Easy to carry and super easy to write notes on.

GeneF

Sick of using blank printing-paper and not satisfied with notebooks, I recently went out and bought three pads. They're 'Quill' brand notepads. A4-sized lined paper. Smooth, strong and seem to put up with fountain pens pretty good. They're the kind of pads where the pages are all glued together at the top on the back of a cardboard backing sheet, and you can just rip the pages off neatly when you're done. Both sides of each page are lined. I'm really liking these pads...wish I bought more. Must do it next week...

Pretty cheap, $2.50 for a 100-sheet writing-pad. I bought 300 sheets'-worth.

I'll second the Quills. I just bought three from a local newsagents, and they perform really well, especially for the price. In fact, so well, it's the only paper I've found so far that I can write with the otherwise-troublesome Noodler's Concord Bream, that bleeds so badly on any other paper I have that it's unusable. Good find, so will now get some A4 size white and try that. (The ones I have are an A5 spiral-bound with purple paper (!?!), an A6 hard-covered spiral-bound w/white paper, and a reporter-style spiral bound A7 with a mid-blue paper: all good! Total cost around AUD8.)

Edited by effrafax

Cheers,

Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"

Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").

Most of what I write is stuff like 1st and 2nd drafts, details of client's problems with their printers, stuff like that, that I don't want to keep for posterity. So I don't want to spend a lot of money on paper that might have a working life of a few days. On the other hand, I want to have some tactile/physical pleasure in the writing process, and I want to see what the inks look like, really, and I don't want feathering, bleeding, and the like. (And I want peace on earth, goodwill to all men, mildly left-wing governments installed in all nations, an adolescent son that gets up before noon and does his chores without grumbling...)

If I am going to spend $20 on a notebook, it is for final copy, stuff that I'm going to keep.

I have finally found some cheap ($3, $4, $5) notebooks that I am happy to use for day-to-day stuff. It's an Australian brand called Phaze I, made by a company called Dats. The company is Australian, the paper is Chinese, but it is more than good enough for normal scribbling. It is very thin, hard paper that doesn't bleed or feather with anything other than my Jinhao firehoses. As well, it really shows up the colour of the inks and their shading relatively well.

I also make little shirt pocket notebooks by taking a piece of A4 paper, folding it down to A7 and stapling the binding edge. I then slit the pages to give me an 8 leaf / 16 page notebook that neatly fits into a shirt pocket. I use one of my nice cut sheet papers like OCE or Clairefontaine in 100 gsm.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

For my planning i use a combo of items- a hipster pda from hp inkjet copy paper and run of the mill oxford index cards, and a filofax for longrange calendar planning. The hipster pda rides with me in an ancient levenger pocket briefcase i nicked from my dad who was no longer using it.

For my back pocket, I carry a miguelruis flexible notebook.

For major writing, my standard bearer is the "Porta Desk" rigid back notebook, by National. I use the version that has the spiral wire at the top instead of the side. Depending on the ink, there can be a bit of bleed through. I used to use Clairefontaine for both large and small notebooks. I love 'em, yet the price on the Porta Desk is sooo much kinder on my bank account.

Sometime soon, I hope to try out Field Notes. Just because.

Edited by jde

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

By the way, I sent a note to Marta Curry and Silvia Trenta at Moleskine inquiring about their paper quality but haven't heard anything back.

-Jake

I did similar and got a reply about 6 months ago. From memory it said they were aware that some paper in Moleskins may not be FP compatible and were working to improve the quality.

In my opinion their marketing world wide has been so good they are selling thousands anyway so I don't think they are particularly concerned at the market share they don't have because of the FP issues. I would buy the books again tomorrow if they had quality paper but not as they stand now.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Perhaps because of their world-wide reputation Moleskin will improve their paper, or market a fountain pen-specific book. They had lots of requests for a watercolour-specific version. It was developed, marketed and now available.

I suppose I believe in the power of the people to move the power of the corporation. :D

By the way, I sent a note to Marta Curry and Silvia Trenta at Moleskine inquiring about their paper quality but haven't heard anything back.

-Jake

I did similar and got a reply about 6 months ago. From memory it said they were aware that some paper in Moleskins may not be FP compatible and were working to improve the quality.

In my opinion their marketing world wide has been so good they are selling thousands anyway so I don't think they are particularly concerned at the market share they don't have because of the FP issues. I would buy the books again tomorrow if they had quality paper but not as they stand now.

Perhaps because of their world-wide reputation Moleskin will improve their paper, or market a fountain pen-specific book. They had lots of requests for a watercolour-specific version. It was developed, marketed and now available.

I suppose I believe in the power of the people to move the power of the corporation.

Likewise—or at least I hope so. Still, I haven't received a response from them.

I suppose I believe in the power of the people to move the power of the corporation. :D

I believe in people power too but in this case only if it equals $$$s. I am sure Moleskin will do the maths and decide if an upgrade of paper is worth it. Hope they do.

-Jake

I just let my e-voice be heard (read).

I have to wonder how many people who have had problems with Moleskine paper quality were using the Cahier notebooks. Some of the Cahier's have much different paper than the hardcover notebooks. I have had a ton of the hardcover Moleskines and not once have I run into subpar paper in them. The cahiers are another story, but for my uses it still doesn't really matter.

Anyway, I'm back to a Moleskine for the time being, as I just filled up my last Apica today.

I have to wonder how many people who have had problems with Moleskine paper quality were using the Cahier notebooks. Some of the Cahier's have much different paper than the hardcover notebooks. I have had a ton of the hardcover Moleskines and not once have I run into subpar paper in them. The cahiers are another story, but for my uses it still doesn't really matter.

Anyway, I'm back to a Moleskine for the time being, as I just filled up my last Apica today.

My problems with Moleskin have all been with the flagship notebook. Never again for me - the paper is garbage for such an expensive notebook. My first Moleskins purchased around 4 years ago were fantastic but the later ones are rubbish. I am a very disappointed user.

There has been a lot of discussion over many threads about notebooks. I have tried many including paying the postage to get the product not available in Australia sent in from (mainly) USA.

My summary:

Everyday: Clairefontaine notebooks stitched and spiral, anything with Apica written on it, Rhodia pads, Kokuyo (Campus) notebooks and Field Note notebooks. All quality stuff. Field Notes in larger sizes would be sensational.

Forget them: Moleskin - paper quality is rubbish.

Maybe: Rhodia webnotes - really nice book, but paper doesn't suit all pens.

Still to try: Quo Vadis Habana - really keen to try them.

So many notebooks, so little time.

I think I can understand yr frustration with journals that just don't work with FPs.

I too spent a long time in journal-hunting.

I gave up one day and decided to actually have mine custom made by a bookbinder. It worked really great.

That set me off to making my journals myself - ie DIY journals. These are my everyday writers at a carry-with-you-everywhere size. I make sure the paper I choose will also take pencil and washes without any probs whatsoever so I can do sketches as well when I fancy. So far, my experience tells me that 120gsm paper will do fine.

You might want to try making yr own journals. That will end yr frustration. Just find a paper merchant and your problems are all solved. You only need to learn how to stitch them together. At the moment , I am making a journal using Rhodia grid paper, pad No.16. It folds half into a nice backpocket size journal.

For larger sketchbooks , like Paddler here, the simple saddle stitch works great. Fast and simple , plus you decide what paper to replenish for your own needs. I was given a nice Italian saddle leather sketchbook using such a stitch. The paper doesn't take ink well. But its fantastic for pencil.

I too have given up on Moleskine paper.

Ciak is good but the paper is pretty toothy and not comfy for FPs. They are perfect for pencil sketching though. I have trouble making them stay open flat. Anyone here solved this?

PaperBlanks are goodlooking but the paper is inconsistent. I enjoyed their smythe sewn exposed spine sketchbook. My subsequent purchase (their antique journal) was inconsistent. Some pages feathered and bled badly. Others did not. I am still puzzled.

Days ago I chanced upon this Paperstyle journal made by Ryland Peters & Small. To my surprise, the paper does take FP ink beautifully. My only complaint are the cover illustrations and the ruled lines which are pretty distracting. (the best ruled lines are that done by Paperchase journals - grey and feint. Ruled lines need not be dark at all. All you need is just a semblance of a line. Even dots will do the trick. )

Monologue and Monoliza journals are Ciak and Moleskine look-a-likes. Their papers are disappointing. Nice covers though.

Seems to me the majority of journal makers are often pre-occupied with the attractiveness of their designs , often overlooking the quality of the paper. I am not sure whether its intentional or not. Maybe its just plain business sense. The general public don't use FP ink? Then you have those that are plain cahiers with great paper like that mentioned by Richard Binder.

What are some journals that have got it right both ways ? I guess this is covered in other threads.

Edited by TMLee

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram