The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Sheaffer Triumph

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BearsPaw

BearsPaw

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 16:50

First, I just wanted to say thanks to the board for helping me out with my Sheaffer. I've been using it for a while now, and it's fine yet smooth and hold quite a bit of ink. I enjoy the fact that I can write with the same pen my grandfather used when he was my age.

I still have one question though. Sometimes, when I'm am inking the pen, a small amount of ink will appear where the plunger comes out of the barrel as I pull it up. Is this normal?

Sponsored Content

#2 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,825 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2008 - 21:47

That's a sign of a problem developing, alas. The felt packing within should prevent anything like that from happening, and if it doesn't, that means the packing is going awry. A possible short-term solution: First, empty and clean the pen, and let it dry. Run the filler right out, and apply a good dose of pure silicone grease to the shaft, then run it back in. Do this a couple of times, in the hope that the grease with reimpregnate the packing. If it does, you've bought a little extra time before a serious refit is needed. If it doesn't work, you're out the cost of the amount of grease you've used, which is not so great.

Edit-- one word which starts with "w" is much the same as any other, right? Apparently not. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Ernst Bitterman, 18 May 2008 - 13:03.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

#3 BearsPaw

BearsPaw

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 22:35

That's too bad. I'll probably just have it restored, I'd rather fix it properly than try stopgap measures.

Thank you for the information.

Sponsored Content

|