• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arnav

• wimg

• Titivillus

• TheNobleSavage

As might be expected, I voted for ultra smooth. Unless it's a flex nib, of course; then, I really prefer a little road feel, so I can better track what the nib is doing.

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

Like buttah! :D

A hot wind was blowing around my head, the strands of my hair lifting and swirling in it, like ink spilled in water. ~ Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin

Like butter, except on flexxys.

I just love the sailors it is just an incredible and amazing expierence to have.

Tim: The Music Pen Guy

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/images/pelikan_images/concerto.jpg

http://www.penmuseum.co.uk/images/pelog4.jpghttp://www.penmuseum.co.uk/images/pelog1.jpg

Pelikan Nest

Well, I don't mind a little feedback. I would describe it more like that from a soft lead pencil.....

I guess that's why I keep wanting to hate my Ellipse. It has quite a bit of feedback and I think part of it is the design, which transmits it to the hand. But, it is also rather miserly on ink flow, so there isn't that cushion of ink. So I cannot hate it because it lasts a long time per fill and writes great and true to a fine point (as least in my expectations), especially on cheap paper: it is very resistance to bleedthough and featering.

Such a dichotomy.

-Bruce

Edited by FLZapped

By the way, I really like the description of a nib as "Shy, like a dry finger across textured paper." I would have said "smooth but with a hint of tooth" and I think my description puts people and buyers off.

nice, jc

I would have to say smooth as well. My ultimate nib quest has lead me from various Pelikans, to Duponts, to Namiki Nippon Art, to finally Dani Trio - with some others along the road.

So far, the Namiki has been the most amazingly smooth writer. Sooo fast and smooth!!!

Ron

I love my ultrasmooth Omas, Pilot/Namikis, and Cross pens, but I also enjoy pens with a touch more feel on cotton paper, because they give me more precise control in getting around my letters. Modern Auroras and a few vintage Sheaffer balances I have provide this experience.

The different nib types fill different niches, so my answer is both of these. J

Let's see what the general preference is.

I think there is something more to the writing experience than just the smoothness of the nib but I can't put the words together to describe it.

K

Smmmmooooooooooooooooottttttttttthhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Since I draw/doodle more than I write , I guage pen/ink on how fast I can crosshatch without a skip. If doing detailing, a bit of feedback or friction is ok. /:)

All the best,

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

Ultra-Smooth, gliding on paper like butter in a hot non-stick pan,and Ultra-Wet flows like Amazon River :D

Take Care

Emrecan

Greetings from İstanbul

the pen is in my avatar is LAMY Studio Palladium 14K

As with a fast car, I like a little bit of feedback from the steering, but I don't want to have to wrestle with it!

J

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

Guest Denis Richard

I think there is something more to the writing experience than just the smoothness of the nib but I can't put the words together to describe it.

K

I agree Kurt. I think there are factors way beyond the "performance" or technical capabilities (flex, smoothness, springyness, etc...). One thing for example is the pure size/shape of the nib (not the tip, the full nib). I find that a small slender nib helps me to have a more precise writing. On the other hand, larger and wider nibs are "comfort nibs" (as in "comfort food").

Edited by Denis Richard

K

I agree Kurt. I think there are factors way beyond the "performance" or technical capabilities (flex, smoothness, springyness, etc...). One thing for example is the pure size/shape of the nib (not the tip, the full nib). I find that a small slender nib helps me to have a more precise writing. On the other hand, larger and wider nibs are "comfort nibs" (as in "comfort food").

Yes I think that a poll like this is fun but there is more to writing than just the slickness of the nib on the paper.

Kurt H

I might be wrong but it is my opinion.

My preferences might be a bit odd, because I have to accommodate a never-properly-healed injury in my writing hand.

What I seek is a nib that gives me a feeling of control in forming the letters, without requiring that I apply pressure or grip the pen tightly. What does this "control" come from? It arises from a kind of kinesthetic feedback that allows me to gauge the contact between the nib's point and the paper. "Contact" isn't "tooth" and it isn't "friction", though these might also be present. So far I've found this "contact" sensation in some very "soft" old nibs which have definite, but moderate, flexibility. I think what's most critical is a soft springiness -- rather than mere "mush" -- when the nib lifts off the feed.

In my very limited experience, I have the impression that the English were the masters of this species of nib. What's the "official" vocabulary to describe this? Can it be found among other nationalities of pens?

-Arnav

- Arnav