Hero Pens

Macuser

I recently came across some posts about Hero Pens. I found a couple of sites that have them for very affordable prices. I would like to know who owns (and uses) Hero pens. What styles do you like?

I read somewhere that they actually use old Parker equipment to make the pens. Is that correct?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Macuser

• pvdiamon

• Betty

• Kelly

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Hero 329, which is currently out of rotation, but which makes me very happy, and a few Hero pens from the 1980s and early 1990s. (I really should take photos, and see if anyone can identify them.) I've found them to be good sturdy pens, comfortable and forgiving of much abuse.

The 329 is a nice shape, and gives a very fine line, which I prefer. Mine is green, but I think the black ones are prettier.

Hi Macuser,

I received the Hero 160 yesterday and really like it so far. Here's a picture from www.isellpens.com where I purchased it, great service, very nice to work with (no affiliation just a satisfied customer)

http://www.isellpens.com/Images/HERO%20160%202B.JPG

It's a really good weight with a nice balance, not heavy but not a lightweight either. It's fairly slender as well and it fits perfectly into my checkbook slot. It's got an aero. filler, no problems with the filling and it started right off the bat. The line is pretty fine but ideal for check writing, etc. For $20.99 (including shipping) I can't complain and won't feel terribly bad if it somehow gets lost. The cap snaps very securely and rotates freely while snuggly attached (perhaps for ease while carrying it in a pocket?)

I'm not sure how long the black scroll/filigree impression on the cap will last but I'm hopeful :D

I've heard the Hero 100 (a Parker 51 idea) is also a pretty good little pen.

A hot wind was blowing around my head, the strands of my hair lifting and swirling in it, like ink spilled in water. ~ Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin

I have a 329, a 330, and three 100s. I like the 100s better than the others because their nibs run a bit broader. Set up to be wet, they're very nice pens indeed. The coolest one, though not the best in my hand, is this very Italian-looking chrome-and-gold beauty that became mine in a trade with Rong Lu:

http://www.richardspens.com/images/collection/zoomed/hero100chrome.jpg

The reason it's not the best in my hand is its weight, which is more than I like. The others, a black one and a "flighter," handle very much like a Parker "51".

http://www.richardspens.com/images/collection/zoomed/hero100.jpg

http://www.richardspens.com/images/collection/zoomed/hero100posted.jpg

Hero pens are made in the former Parker factory in Shanghai, probably still using some of the Parker machinery; Mao's goons expropriated all foreign holdings in 1948, and Parker had to pull out.

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

I have a few Hero pens:

4-100's

1-200

1-58

2-616's

1-50

3-330's

and 1-328.

I have had a lot of fun and excellent service with mine. They appeal to my miserly tendancies.

Larry

I have 4 Hero pens as of now, 2 616's, a 329 and a hand painted 343.

My favorite is the 329, which accompanies me to work everyday. I bought it from Norman Haase at HisNibs.com, for $15.00US. I have no affiliation with Mr. Haase, but am a very satisfied customer.

The other 3 (and a third 616 that I gave to my nephew) were bought from an eBay seller.

I'm very pleased with the 329. It writes as well as my aerometric P51, everytime I take the cap off, even after a week or two of sitting while I'm on leave. Like the aerometric P51s and P61s it's designed to mimic, it holds tons of ink, and the nib is very smooth considering the fine line.

The 616, though a cheaper pen, is still a fine pen for the price, considering I got 3 of them and the 343 for $19.95. The fit and finish isn't as nice as the 329, but the 616 does look nearly exactly like a P21 Special, with the nicer P51 style aerometric filler and nib. It writes better than my P21, though not as well as my P51 or Hero 329.

The 343 is the same nib, section and filler as the 329, with a more squared off barrel and plastic cap, and performs exactly the same.

Overall, I'm very pleased with all of my Hero pens, and am looking forward to buying a Hero 100. I've heard some very nice things about them and can hardly wait to add one to my collection.

Tom

A pen is a good deal like a rifle; much depends on the man behind it. Paraphrased from John Philip Souza

I have one hero 100, a very good pen, and was the first that I bought, very stiff, it is my "math" pen/grading pen, very nice look to it.

Tim: The Music Pen Guy

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/images/pelikan_images/concerto.jpg

http://www.penmuseum.co.uk/images/pelog4.jpghttp://www.penmuseum.co.uk/images/pelog1.jpg

Pelikan Nest

Ok, you convinced me! I just ordered a Hero 100 Stainless Steel from ISellPens.com for $23.99 and a red Hero 329 for $4.99. I can't wait to get them. I will let you know how I like them.

Macuser, you're going to love them.

There is nothing out there for the price that delivers the performance of the Hero 329 (particularly if you get it for $5 from Todd at isellpens.com -- standard disclaimer applies). The 329 caligraphy model Todd's selling is pretty cool too. And don't forget Norm has good prices on Heros too at HisNibs.com.

The Hero 100 is a poor man's Parker 51 and the 616 is indeed the next best thing to a Parker 21.

I have all three of these pens and enjoy them. Heros are great pens to turn people on to the joys of FPs and are cheap enough that you won't cry if you lose them.

Hi,

I have 253, but I don't really like writing with it much...smells nice...I use it every day none-the-less. :)

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

You can't go wrong with the price. The 329 may even be the pen that I let others use to nudge them in the direction of fountain pen usedom!

The Hero 100 is a poor man's Parker 51 and the 616 is indeed the next best thing to a Parker 21.

Depending where you get the Hero 100 ;). At $23.99, it's the poor man's alternative, but at $55 and higher, you can pick up a Parker 51 around the same price on ebay.

Nevertheless, even if not comparing to the Parker 51, I think the Hero 100 is worth the $55 price tag, though I'm more than happy to be able to get it at $24 :) I hope Todd doesn't see this and raise his prices :P

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I've ordered a Hero 187, waiting for it to come. This one has an interesting matte finish. What does it mean that the filling system is removeable? Is it recommended to fill and drain several times with a small amount of detergent in water before using? I know that is recommended for converters, but I wasn't sure about these bottle filling pens.

I'm also wondering if you find the Hero fine nibs to be more like an EF, M, or "true" Fine nib?

John in NC

The passion not to be fooled and not to fool anybody else..two searching questions of positivism: what do you mean? How do you know? (Bertrand Russell, Dominant Passion of The True Scientist)

The Hero 329, 330, and 616 run more towards the US EF, which is a dream come true for me. However, the 2 Hero 100's I have states that it is a "medium fine" and I think it resembles a US fine.

Now if only the Hero 100 comes in EF too...I'd be prancing in heaven :)

The Hero 329, 330, and 616 run more towards the US EF, which is a dream come true for me. However, the 2 Hero 100's I have states that it is a "medium fine" and I think it resembles a US fine.

Now if only the Hero 100 comes in EF too...I'd be prancing in heaven :)

I love XF nibs. I can't wait for these pens.

I've got a few Hero's. I bought a couple from Norman Haase at HisNibs.com, and one from isellpens.com.

My oldest one (I don't even know the model number) is my best detail pen (Ultra Fine?).

I use a Hero 508 Stainless as my main carry around pen (with a Speeno for backup) . :D

All the best,

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

I just received my shipment from Todd. The Hero 100 Stainless Steel is gorgeous. It feels well made, and I think it could withstand a nuclear fallout. The Hero 329 doesn't impress me as much, as it seems a little cheaper (it is a LOT cheaper money-wise.)

I will ink them up tonight when I get home and let you know what I think.

Fountain pens have taken over my life and this forum is partly to blame ;)

I LOVE the Stainless Steel one! The 329 looks and feels cheap, but it writes nice. It's a bit finer than the 100, which is the only reason I like it.

But my Burgundy 100 is thicker than my Stainless Steel 100...grr..

I just got my 187, which is brown matte, looks like a cigar, and writes great. However I don't think I know how to fill it with ink! No instructions come with it. It has a "pump" style filler (is that the same as aerometric?) but I don't think it is filling much. One place I read suggested you have to pump it 5 times or so while dipped in the ink. Another made me think I push the soft part down, then submerge, then let go. SO, can anyone tell me how they fill these pens? (Most of my converters I fill via syringe, but I'm not sure how to do that on this pen, since this isn't really a converter.)

John in NC

The passion not to be fooled and not to fool anybody else..two searching questions of positivism: what do you mean? How do you know? (Bertrand Russell, Dominant Passion of The True Scientist)

I inked up my Hero 100 Stainless Steel fountain pen with Noodlers Legal Lapis. It writes fantastic! The fine line is perfect. It was as smooth of a fine nib as I have. I inked the red 329 with Waterman red ink. Although the pen is not as attractive as the 100, it writes great. It is a bit scratchy, but it writes a finer line than the 100. I think that I will primarly use it for marking up documents with red ink (circling, adding comments, etc) so it will be perfect. Both of these pens were well worth the money. I will give them a better workout tomorrow as I plan on using them all day at work.