• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• 1nkulus

• Yohaanrods

• Abhishek Walwaikar

Hari,

This is a great post. I have to admit. This is what I am going to do after my studies abroad. Come to Mumbai and pen Hunt, he he he,

Regards,

Rohan.

P.s. I have to ask you Hari, How was the condition of the Parker duofolds and the the other NOS that were on display by Mr Taher? Any idea of the pricing too? :happyberet:

This post made me feel nostalgic! My first fountain pens were from my visit to Mumbai years ago, when I was a child. My dad had described fountain pens to me, but I never saw one in person until that trip to Mumbai. I was gifted a Camlin fountain pen, and I loved it, despite the fact that it was rather cheap (though, to my untrained eye, it was a rather fancy pen :P). Before returning home, I purchased two more fountain pens (another Camlin and a Chinese Hero FP). I barely used them - because I really didn't know how to care for fountain pens, and because we only used pencils in school - though I treasured them very much.

I still have those fountain pens - I should bring them out again and test them!

I also must admit that this post is making me rethink my decision not to visit India this year! :P

Hats off to you Hari. दिलखुश मन्न्खुश

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh306/rcmirani/Nisstiiv/rcm.gif

View pens

Email me

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh306/rcmirani/Nisstiiv/nisstiiv.gifhttp://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh306/rcmirani/Nisstiiv/Sterling%20Silver/nisstiiv_fountain_pen_Grain%20dorge_silver_300_zpsnkexhez7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Were those REALLY PFMs, Vacs and NOS Mk1's? Are any of these expensive? How much for that PFM??? :drool: It's driving me CRAZY!

I'm not your 'friend', bud

Hari, would you happen to know whether vintage flex pens (specifically super flex and wet noodles) are common in any of the shops you listed?

Hari, would you happen to know whether vintage flex pens (specifically super flex and wet noodles) are common in any of the shops you listed?

Flex nibs were not at all popular here. It is very difficult to find a good vintage flex locally.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Flex nibs were not at all popular here. It is very difficult to find a good vintage flex locally.

Ah, pity! Thanks, though.

• 2 weeks later...

do visit India, we have much more than pens!

What is the language barrier like for those of us that only speak English?

politician and idiot are synonymous terms - Mark Twain

do visit India, we have much more than pens!

What is the language barrier like for those of us that only speak English?

Most of the people in Mumbai can understand English. Language is a barrier even for Indians, we have so many languages, with dialects changing every few kilometres. haha.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

In which store do they sell the cheapest Parker 51 and Snorkels? My parents have planned a trip here (we're all bored of the usual sites) and I've talked my dad into getting me a pen. So...can anyone tell me where they are cheapest?

In which store do they sell the cheapest Parker 51 and Snorkels? My parents have planned a trip here (we're all bored of the usual sites) and I've talked my dad into getting me a pen. So...can anyone tell me where they are cheapest?

There is no guarantee that you will find the said pens. It all depends on what pens came into the shop to be sold. There is no regular supply. However you can check at Apsara pen mart, usually they do have a few. The gold cap ones go for less than 100USD IIRC. Bargain hard!

Edited by hari317

Thanks for taking us on a great tour. The number of stores is overwhelming. There are no stationary/pen stores in our community unless you want to consider OfficeMax or the Super Walmart. Again, thanks for sharing.

Steve

Dip Pens

There is no guarantee that you will find the said pens. It all depends on what pens came into the shop to be sold. There is no regular supply. However you can check at Apsara pen mart, usually they do have a few. The gold cap ones go for less than 100USD IIRC. Bargain hard!

Wow...thanks! Seems like I'll be taking $100 from my dad's wallet, then :lol: I think that "51"s and Snorkels were, and still are, the best pens ever! Any price below a 100, I will manage for these :D

• 2 months later...

wow..thats an excellent post...i have been to mumbai lately but never knew of these shops...hope to make a trip soon...and its nice to know that u too are an enfield owner... cheers!

Hari,

It is wonderful to see a country with such a strong culture for a more traditional object, such as the fountain pen. And it is even better to have a great person like yourself sharing that with those of us on the other side of the planet! I have had two pens made of ebonite made for me in the past few months by the Ranga company in Chennai, and they have been impressive pens! Certainly traditions run strong in your land, more so than in many, and what a treasure that is in our time! :thumbup:

If I ever make it over to India in my future, I will be sure to look around Mumbai for some pen shops! :D

Gobblecup ~

• 1 month later...

Hi Hari,

Really great tour I must say. Being from Mumbai I know those places you mentioned very well and will go there soon as I am thinking of starting using Fountain pens again.

Any idea what beginners should choose? Parkers? I see online many people prefer Lammys.

-Thanks.

Any idea what beginners should choose? Parkers? I see online many people prefer Lammys.

I would in fact recommend the Sheaffer NoNonsense from Apsara with a F or M nib.