Noodler's Heart of Darkness

Viseguy

I received a sample of Noodler's Heart of Darkness (a/k/a Au Coeur des Tenèbres) courtesy of an FPN member. What strikes me about this ink is its dual personality. On some paper, it looks and behaves like a darker version of Noodler's Lexington Gray (not quite coal black, with a very slight greenish tinge -- although that could be due to the fluorescent lighting I was viewing it in); on others, it's very similar to Noodler's bulletproof Black or Swishmix Nile Ebony. Bottom line for me: A nice, smooth-writing bulletproof black, but not different enough from Black or Nile Ebony (or a mix of the two) to justify a purchase.

post-483-1208223297_thumb.jpg

Viseguy

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RwsRichard

• Viseguy

• Rapt

• Deirdre

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yup, definitely an eye-popping black -- except when it's not... :unsure:

Indulging in a bit of self-censorship here... After living with Heart of Darkness for a few days, I'm beginning to think that the similarity to Lexington Gray that I noted in my initial review was a fluke. Was there possibly some residual moisture left in the pen when I filled it after flushing it out? Because the past couple of days, HoD has been nothing but black.

Viseguy

Yup, definitely an eye-popping black -- except when it's not... :unsure:

Indulging in a bit of self-censorship here... After living with Heart of Darkness for a few days, I'm beginning to think that the similarity to Lexington Gray that I noted in my initial review was a fluke. Was there possibly some residual moisture left in the pen when I filled it after flushing it out? Because the past couple of days, HoD has been nothing but black.

That has been my experience with HoD. Very black... If you dilute it a LOT with water it keeps its very neutral colour and just shows as gray. Back before I had several pens on hand I ran out of HoD in my Pelikan at work and just filled with water. The residual HoD made a gray that looked like pencil, and worked just fine.

RAPT

Pens:Sailor Mini, Pelikan Grand Place, Stipula Ventidue with Ti Stub nib, Pelikan M605 with Binder Cursive Italic, Stipula Ventidue with Ti M nib, Vintage Pilot Semi-flex, Lamy Vista, Pilot Prera

For Sale:

Saving for: Edison Pearl

In my dreams: Nakaya Piccolo, custom colour/pattern

In transit:

If you dilute it a LOT with water it keeps its very neutral colour and just shows as gray. Back before I had several pens on hand I ran out of HoD in my Pelikan at work and just filled with water. The residual HoD made a gray that looked like pencil,...

That's consistent with what I saw that first day (Lexington Gray reminds me of pencil), and supports the theory that there was some water in my pen that eventually got "written out". Once the moisture was gone, HoD feathered less, too, although nothing beats straight bulletproof Black for anti-feathering (except maybe X-Feather, or Anti-X Feather, or whatever it's called, but I'm not willing to wait forever for the ink to dry).

Viseguy

I think the HoD Black acts more like Polar Black than regular Bulletproof Black (to me). It seems to spread a little more than the Bulletproof so I use it in a Sheaffer needlepoint nib I like. The Bulletproof Black tightened the line up too much for me, but I like the Bulletproof in my flexies and X-fine to Med. nibs.

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

Just got my HoD eyedropper bottle with fountain pen. While the pen is usuable at best, the HoD is a very nice black in my Shaeffer Valor with Fine point nib. I bought it to use in my Sheaffer, and I like the way it flows. Not too wet, smooth, and starts flowing right away.

All in all a good black ink, and since I was out of black ink at work it was a good purchase. Plus now I have a cheap travel pen that I do not have to worry about.

Here is my review of Noodler's Heart of Darkness ink.

Sorry, no photos as my camera is out doing something else, with someone else.

I love how dark it is, smooth flowing with no runs, drips or errors. I tried it with all four fountain pens I have.

I "thought" it was bulletproof, BUT after using about 10 different grades of papers, letting it set over night, then dripping some water over them - they "ALL" ran and/or smeared!!

So I am back to the drawing board on trying to find some 'bulletproof' ink.

If anyone could suggest something, I will give it a try.

RwsRichard

I "thought" it was bulletproof, BUT after using about 10 different grades of papers, letting it set over night, then dripping some water over them - they "ALL" ran and/or smeared!!

What papers did you use it on? Are you sure it was Heart of Darkness that you used?

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

What papers did you use it on? Are you sure it was Heart of Darkness that you used?

Thaks for responding Deirdre:

Says 'Heart of Darkness' on the bottle. I got it in the mail a little over a week ago. Been 'itching' to try it.

Used different printer/copier paper, 5 with cotton ranging from 30% up to 100%.

Used some high grade notebook paper.

Used my daily 'business' journal.

Used my leather bound personal journal.

Used some writing paper.

Used a steno note pad.

I also used some 4x6 cards that I take phone-notes on.

Says 'Heart of Darkness' on the bottle. I got it in the mail a little over a week ago. Been 'itching' to try it.

Used some writing paper.

Used a steno note pad.

If it is HoD then I'd say its a matter putting down way too much ink so there's a layer of unused "dry" ink on top of the soaked in stuff.

RAPT

Pens:Sailor Mini, Pelikan Grand Place, Stipula Ventidue with Ti Stub nib, Pelikan M605 with Binder Cursive Italic, Stipula Ventidue with Ti M nib, Vintage Pilot Semi-flex, Lamy Vista, Pilot Prera

For Sale:

In transit:

Used some writing paper.

Used a steno note pad.

If it is HoD then I'd say its a matter putting down way too much ink so there's a layer of unused "dry" ink on top of the soaked in stuff.

Thanks Rapt.

Going to be disappointed if that is the case, 'cause it sat undisturbed for about 18 hours before trying the moisture test.

I have some blotting paper coming in the mail. Will give that a try.

RwsRichard

I don't have that problem with mine in the pens I've tried.

Blotting paper should help, because ts not that it hasn't dried, but that it hasn't reacted with the paper. Basically its pooling on itself.

If you decide to get rid of it let me know. :)

RAPT

For Sale:

In transit:

Pictures of what's going on would also be interesting.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Blotting paper should help, because ts not that it hasn't dried, but that it hasn't reacted with the paper. Basically its pooling on itself.

After reading this, I wrote on some more paper and let it set for about 2 minutes, then wiped across the ink/paper with a napkin. It did not smear, so to me it did not seem to be pooling. Is that a vaild test to see if it is pooling?

Before I get rid of it, I think I am going to experiment with some other paper(s).

Pictures of what's going on would also be interesting.

Yea, I know it would help, but my camera is still out taking pictures with someone else.

Should be back in pretty soon, then I will take some pics.

PS: Nice collection of pens you got on your avatar.

Edited by RwsRichard

After reading this, I wrote on some more paper and let it set for about 2 minutes, then wiped across the ink/paper with a napkin. It did not smear, so to me it did not seem to be pooling. Is that a vaild test to see if it is pooling?

Before I get rid of it, I think I am going to experiment with some other paper(s).

I'd blot it right away and then test for run off after a minute or three. You can use a napkin for a blotter if you want.

RAPT

For Sale:

In transit:

• 3 weeks later...

Would you say this is a wetter writing black than the standard Bulletproof? BB has been really dry in all my pens, even my normally-very-wet M200.

http://www.dragonseptarts.com/images/favicon.gif Dragonsept Arts and Publishing - Free and open culture

My Public Key: F1BC60E6

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind." — Rudyard Kipling

"In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act." — George Orwell

Would you say this is a wetter writing black than the standard Bulletproof? BB has been really dry in all my pens, even my normally-very-wet M200.

It's certainly too dry for the dropper-filler pen that it came with!