Universal Pen Company

Treuman

I have recently acquired a fountain pen that is marked on the barrrel as "Universal Pen Company, Dyna-Flo, New York, N.Y. USA". This pen is uninked and appears to be an eyedropper fill pen. Does anyone have any information on this company and its pens?

Thank you: Treuman

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tweel

• virgilio

• M10E

• Zeeppo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been wondering about this company too. Some time ago I picked up one of their pens on Ebay--a "Uni-Flow" (they seem to have had a "flow" theme going), a striped lever-filler that looks like celluloid so I'm guessing it's from the 1930's. It is in terriifc shape and the 14 kt nib is remarkable springy and smooth. It's an absolutely great writer, one of my (very few) Ebay bargains.

• 3 years later...

I have a "Universal Pen Coy" "Dyna-Flo" of 1960s cheap pen type, made of grey plastic with a metal cap, a feed like a pouter pigeon, a mean nib, and a cheap-looking squeeze filler - there's a hole in the back of the metal sac protector through which you can see a normal-looking J bar. In addition to the name, the imprint also states "New York, N.Y. U.S.A." Despite the cheapness, after a bit of nib straightening the thing actually works!

So either the brand was long-lived, or revived at a much later time than those examples above.

Treuman,

I don't have much information on Universal other than it was on 146 West 26th Street in New York City in the mid 1930s. Here is a link to something I wrote in 2007 about a Universal Fountain Pen, that probably dates to that period.

Universal

Without seeing a photo of your pen, I can not guess as to the date, but if it is an eyedropper, it may be earlier.

Enjoy your pen.

Phil

Edited by philm

• 3 years later...

My grandfather, H.D. Morris, founded the Universal Pen Company. He died in 1982. I don't know anything about it but I will ask my 87 year old father. I was born in 1959 and my grandfather was no longer associated with the company. When my grandmother passed away in 1987, I inherited much of her furniture. The attached photo are the Universal pens and pencils I found in a desk drawer. Thanks. post-121571-0-04067700-1427229597.jpg

Edited by Gort81

Thank you for posting that information, Gort81 and philm! Somewhere I have a celluloid Universal Stylograph that I bought in an antique store 'round about 1974, and in more recent years, as I've become a pen collector, haven't come across any information about the company. It's nice to at least have a name and place to associate with the pen.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

• 11 months later...

Gort81, Sorry for jumping onto an old thread, but I have a Uni-flo (the pen on the extreme left in your photo) that I picked up for $1.00. I have to say, that it's one of my favorites; BobR is right, the nib is super springy and a real joy to use. It travels to work with me every day,

• 6 months later...

There is a big Italian fountain pen company called Universal that makes excellent school pens. I wonder if it is the same company.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Universal SPA from Italy was founded in the fifties. So probably not the same company.

They are distinct companies. Both have made quite exceptional pens in their beginnings, but also rather bad ones in more recent years. The Universal STYLOGRAPH NYC MADE IN THE USA is a nice copy of European stylographs.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.bermond.be

The Universal STYLOGRAPH NYC MADE IN THE USA is a nice copy of European stylographs.

That's interesting. What is it about Universal stylographs that reminds you of European models?

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

• 4 weeks later...

My grandfather, H.D. Morris, founded the Universal Pen Company. He died in 1982. I don't know anything about it but I will ask my 87 year old father. I was born in 1959 and my grandfather was no longer associated with the company. When my grandmother passed away in 1987, I inherited much of her furniture. The attached photo are the Universal pens and pencils I found in a desk drawer. Thanks. attachicon.gif IMG_0501.JPG

I have a UNIVERSAL Buck-Ball ballpoint pen, probably made between 1946 and 1950, that looks very much like some of the pens in your picture. The imprint says Ball-O-Matic Corp. NY, NY

fpn_1565195030__universal_buck-ball_capp

fpn_1565195115__universal_buck-ball_unca

The Moonwalk Pen - honoring Apollo lunar landings
4-x-2-advertisement-copy-reduced-size.jp

• 2 years later...

Here is an example of the Italian Universal pen company.  Ir is the same size as the Pelikan 120 type 2 and the caps are interchangeable.

20211027_163005.thumb.jpg.ea659a30f27cedfa54450684a2639bfe.jpg

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I'll take this older thread up because I have the option to buy an "Universal Pen Company"  (USA) fountain pen made in the early 60s.

It is a cartridge filler. So does anyone know which kind of cartridges these models need, e.g. international standard cartidges like Pelikan etc., or some special format? The seller does not know. Thank you in advance, regards