Dearest Friends and Visitors of the Fountain Pen Network,
We have started implementing the changes we promised here: Upcoming Changes To FPN
Please do read the linked message above.

Photo

Taccia Staccato

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 patrickrhone

patrickrhone

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:25

Finally made a visit to a pen store here in the Twin Cities called Ink. Three words... Completely Blown Away! Proprietor Barry Rubin has created, what has to be, one of the most amazing pen shopping experiences I have ever had. If you live in the Mpls/St. Paul area, make an appointment as soon as possible (visits are by appointment only). You will not be disappointed

The big purchase I made while there today was a Taccia Staccato in Lunar Blue

DSC_0002.JPG

Words simply can't explain what a big beautiful pen this is. This is not a pen for small hands. The thing is a full 7.25 inches when posted. If you want a big showy pen, this just may be your ticket.

The nib is extremely smooth. It is German made and if you are familiar with the smoothness of a Lamy you will appreciate how smooth this is. It is effortless to write with. I almost feel at times that the pen is barely touching the paper.

I am kind of a pen noob so not sure what else to write but if you have any further questions about this baby, well, post them here and I will do my best to answer them.

#2 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:03

Nice call, Patrick. That's a fantastic pen, speaking as a fellow Lunar Blue owner.

What'd you ink it up with first?
Posted Image
Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

#3 patrickrhone

patrickrhone

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:33

QUOTE(rroossinck @ Mar 3 2008, 11:03 PM) View Post
Nice call, Patrick. That's a fantastic pen, speaking as a fellow Lunar Blue owner.

What'd you ink it up with first?

Noodlers Ottoman Azure. Seemed like the perfect match for the pen.

#4 ArPharazon

ArPharazon

King of Men

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 13:24

It's beautiful! Your pic really shows off the nice resin.

I have one in 'Starry Nights' . . . blue with some streaks of red. It's gotta be the best looking pen I own. I love writing with it.

"Thus Ar-Pharazôn, King of the Land of the Star, grew to the mightiest tyrant
that had yet been in the world since the reign of Morgoth . . ."

— J.R.R. Tolkien, Akallabêth —

#5 dwmatteson

dwmatteson

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 13:28

Gack! I'd just recently talked myself out of a Staccato because it's too large for my hand. Your photo of the Lunar Blue has re-awakened the pen-lust for the Staccato. Not only that, but now I want the black and red ebonite and the Lunar Blue. wallbash.gif

Don

Edited by dwmatteson, 04 March 2008 - 13:29.

#6 Stephen-I-am

Stephen-I-am

Allergic to gold trim

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 14:51

Did you see the green and black ebonite Staccato at Swisher? Beautiful. I'd like this material in a smaller pen (M6xx size).

Stephen

Edited by Stephen-I-am, 04 March 2008 - 14:52.

Current Favorite Inks
Noodlers La Reine Mauve Noodlers Walnut

#7 patrickrhone

patrickrhone

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 16:00

I have to say, the more I use this pen the more it almost seems like I am writing with a brush. If you like the feeling of the nib on the paper then this pen is probably not for you. The nib glides so effortlessly across the paper. Now, having done a side by side comparison, I can say that this nib is more smooth than the Lamy.

And here is the thing, this is an affordable pen. This is easily attainable and feels like you are getting real value for a small sum.

I have uploaded some additional photos to my Flickr account if any of you need further temptation. I don't know why the comments already made about this pen would not be enough.

#8 ht1

ht1

I don't want to miss anything...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 21:52

Your new pen looks great. I have a new Staccato, and it is a great writer, too. I agree with your description.

ht

Edited by ht1, 04 March 2008 - 21:53.

#9 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,712 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 22:07

Very pretty!
I ink; therefore, I am
Fleekair <--French accent.

#10 I am not a number

I am not a number

Missing believed somewhere else.

• Member - Gold

• 4,973 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 23:09

I've just bought one from the Market place in my old Squadron colours.

Now I'm really looking forward to it.
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

#11 kiavonne

kiavonne

Still An Antique

• Member - Gold

• 3,173 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:00

I have two Staccatos, one in Honey Bee, and the other in Emerald Green (with red swirls, looks very Christmassy). I've inked the Honey Bee with Walnut. It writes extremely well. BIG pen but lightweight enough for me to use without posting and enjoy the experience. The nib does glide along very effortlessly. I still prefer my Bexley BX701s, but I'm not at all disappointed in the Staccato.
Scribere est agere.
To write is to act.

#12 Stylo

Stylo

Polisson

• Moderators

• 3,006 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:56

You seem to have the newer Lunar blue. It looks swirlier than the older one which looked a little more speckled.

#13 aka

aka

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 07:25

wow.. that looks stunning!!! congrats on a beautiful pen! I'd love to pick one of those up, but no one carries those up here in Vancouver. Might have to order one online after seeing the picture though! Just a some questions though..

Does the cap screw on?

Is there any line variation at all?

and it's a c/c filler, right?

thanks!

#14 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Moderators

• 4,683 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:33

As a fellow Lunar Blue owner (a most unexpected gift from a dear friend), I'll field this one. It does have a screw-on cap, and it is a c/c filler. There's really not much line variation from my (F) nibbed version, although judging from the (cool.gif version of a very similar nib (another Bock #6 that I have), there's some variation in that one. It would, however, be a terrific candidate for a custom grind on the nib.

Or, if you're lucky enough to have a Bexley 18K stub, I believe that they're a direct swap.
Posted Image
Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

#15 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• Moderators

• 18,002 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2008 - 05:29

I gave in and bought a Taccia Staccato in Vanilla Latte, haven't even had a chance to ink it yet.

#16 John Cullen

John Cullen

John Cullen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:40

patrick---What a nice pen. Thanks for the photo. Which nib did you get? Gold or Steel? I have one with a Medium steel nib and it is wonderfully smooth but perhaps a bit too heavy on the flow for me. By any chance did you get a steel fine nib? Anyone, a steel fine nib? Looking for feedback.......uhhh, that would be from you, not the nib. Also, someone mentioned a red and black ebonite one? Any web photos of this one? j

#17 I am not a number

I am not a number

• Member - Gold

• 4,973 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:56

QUOTE(I am not a number @ Mar 4 2008, 11:09 PM) View Post

It's arrived and by the Lord Harry is it a thing of beauty...
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

#18 Deirdre

Deirdre

Stipula Ventidue Ti Nib Adoption Agency

• Member - Gold

• 10,122 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 13:01

QUOTE(I am not a number @ Mar 23 2008, 05:56 AM) View Post
QUOTE(I am not a number @ Mar 4 2008, 11:09 PM) View Post

It's arrived and by the Lord Harry is it a thing of beauty...

Is a picture available?
deirdre.net
"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

#19 I am not a number

I am not a number

• Member - Gold

• 4,973 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 13:32

With my old flying jacket and LXX Squadron Badge.

The memories come flooding back...

#20 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• 10,712 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 17:21

Gorgeous.

The pen, too.
I ink; therefore, I am
Fleekair <--French accent.

#21 Deirdre

Deirdre

• Member - Gold

• 10,122 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 19:01

Sweet!
deirdre.net
"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

#22 CraigR

CraigR

Bibliophile, Writer and Philosopher

• Premium - Emerald

• 1,458 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2008 - 21:51

As of Friday, I am the proud owner of a new Taccia Staccato in Lunar Blue also. I enjoyed the posts here about the pen and once I saw it in person and wrote with it, I was sold. Pictures do not really capture how pretty this pen is. The pen came with a steel medium nib that writes very smoothly and evenly. The first tank of ink is Noodler's Luxury Blue and it seems to like it quite nicely. This is a large pen. I also have a Taccia Doric, fine nib, in Turquoise that is heavier, but the Staccato is longer. Thanks I Am Not A Number for the recommendation. /Craig

A rising tide lifts all boats

LetterExchange_sm.png

https://www.facebook...up/146644665309

#23 Deirdre

Deirdre

• Member - Gold

• 10,122 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 21:53

I have a Taccia on backorder, but I can't recall which one I fell for at the last moment. It'll be a surprise!
deirdre.net

#24 John Cullen

John Cullen

John Cullen

• Member - Gold

• 1,867 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 23:26

craigR is your fine nibbed Taccia steel or gold? If steel, can you comment on the smoothness compared to the medium. thanks, jc

#25 Kakaze

Kakaze

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 00:53

I bought one of these—my first fountain pen!—about a week ago now with a bottle of Ottoman Azure. I got the Starry Night version...it's a beautiful pen but I haven't had any chance to write extensively with it yet. What writing I have done has been quite pleasant, however.

#26 CraigR

CraigR

Bibliophile, Writer and Philosopher

• Premium - Emerald

• 1,458 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 March 2008 - 20:54

QUOTE(John Cullen @ Mar 24 2008, 04:26 PM) View Post
craigR is your fine nibbed Taccia steel or gold? If steel, can you comment on the smoothness compared to the medium. thanks, jc

My Doric is a fine steel nib. I have tried Pelikan Royal Blue ink and it flows nicely with very little scratchiness. When I tried Private Reserve Black Magic Blue, it was less fluid and a little scratchy. Certainly not a problem however. The new Staccato has a steel medium nib and seems be a lush, in that it drinks everything and loves what it drinks. thumbup.gif /Craig

A rising tide lifts all boats

LetterExchange_sm.png

https://www.facebook...up/146644665309

#27 FrankB

FrankB

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:56

Thanks for your impressions of the Staccato, Patrick. At this point I have several Taccia FP's, including a Staccato, all with steel nibs. I find the Taccia pens I have to be an excellent value. They are well made and with their "Italian resin" appear to be much more expensive than they are.

My Staccato resembles I am not a number's. I think the color is so tutti frutti it is downright fun. I have a M steel nib on mine, and it writes a fairly true M line. It is smooth and reliable. The pen itself is a nice large handfull that is comfortable and well balanced. I do not doubt that I will get a second.

Edited by FrankB, 26 March 2008 - 12:57.

#28 jonro

jonro

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,528 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 13:25

How many turns does it take to twist the cap off the barrel of these new Staccatos?

#29 John Cullen

John Cullen

John Cullen

• Member - Gold

• 1,867 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 14:21

Thanks for the comments on the steel nibs. I got a steel M on mine and a gold M on my Binder edition. Both are a little wet for me but write smoothly. I have been thinking about trying a Fine steel nib. The nice thing is the steel nibs are not expensive. Swisher wrote me and told me they would order me an extra nib in a collar with the feed for about $24. So I guess I should just order a steel nib in Fine point and see how it is.

Jonro---If I hold the barrel in my left hand with the clip facing me and turn the cap off with my right hand, it takes one and one third turns of the cap for it to disengage from the barrel threads. I do not know if mine is an average pen, but that is what it takes.

In comparison, my Pelikan 800 cap takes about 4/5 ths of a turn to come off. My Pilot 823 cap takes almost as much of a turn as the Staccato. My Namiki Bamboo takes about one and 3/4 turns to unscrew. My Omas full sized Paragon takes a little less than the Bamboo. So in comparison to those pens, the Staccato does not take an excessive distance (Iguess that is a relative term) to unscrew.

The Binder LE takes a little more distance to screw on and off if I remember correctly, and if my Binder pen is average if you put your steel nib in the Binder pen the nib will end up with a crunch in the end. Don't ask. j

Edited by John Cullen, 26 March 2008 - 14:24.

#30 hardyb

hardyb

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,246 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2008 - 16:24

Got one in Green Ebonite and love it. My third Staccato! (I am a picture borrowing weasel. Credit to Swishers from whom I bought the pen)

Edited by hardyb, 26 March 2008 - 16:30.

The Danitrio Fellowship