Sheaffer NoNonsense FP

TMann

I recently purchased an old style NoNonsense from Ebay and it has a medium italic nib--I suppose it was part of a calligraphy set. Does anyone know where I can get a nib/section with a regular medium or fine nib? Or just buy a whole 'nother pen?

Thanks.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WhosYerBob

• lovemy51

• czanguine

• TMann

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Bob,

zxc asked the same question and a fellow FPNer kindly referred him to e-mail Dave "Stubhead" Mason on Pentrace. He posted some for sale yesterday here(link). He's a regular contributor and has an ad on the Pentrace homepage. No affiliation, but I've heard good things about him. Oh, the "vintage" Sheaffer No Nonsense pens Dave's selling have GP (gold-plated) trim and a GP metal disc embedded on top of the cap (no function, but it dresses up the pen a bit :) ). They're handsome pens and are worth the money, IMO....

Edit: :doh: The Vintage No Nonsenses above are being sold with medium nibs.....but Dave probably has spare nib-section units he is willing to sell, I am guessing. Sorry!

Edited by Maja

• 2 weeks later...

Just received two NN's from him this morning (a Fine Italic and a Fine, both in black).

I can't recommend him (David Mason) enough, Good communication, Nice Packing...probably one of the best transfers I've had.

Though I would like to ask a question on what kind of cartridge/converter these take since I've never owned a Sheaffer before and can they be used an ED without "sealing them" as I've read before?

EDIT: I think I've found out the answer to my own question. Sheaffer Skrip cartridges and Sheaffer Classic Converter (or possibly the Piston?).

EDIT 2: I put a tiny bit of Vaseline on the threads and filled the barrel with ink and so far so good as far as my first ED conversion goes :).

Edited by zxc

• 1 year later...
I had one a long time back.

Want one now.

Can anybody suggest a place online?

Always turning up cheap on ebay, so worth looking there.

Andy

I'm wondering - do these have problems of spitting out ink too easily when shaken, like the similar nibb/feed slip-cap Sheaffers of the drugstore variety that we had in elementary school (about 20-25 years ago)?

These pens wrote wonderfully as well, but spat ink out much too easily, leaving to constant messes inside the cap from the slightest knocking around. Having them in a schoolbag was a recipe for inky hands... indeed, this is the very feature that originally set me out looking for other FPs, at about eight years old, and started me off in the direction of this hobby!

I'm wondering - do these have problems of spitting out ink too easily when shaken, like the similar nibb/feed slip-cap Sheaffers of the drugstore variety that we had in elementary school (about 20-25 years ago)?

I have three NoNonsense pens that I've had for many years - the old kind, not the newer calligraphy pens with the rubber grip. I've never had the problem you describe above. They flow beautifully and are very good writers.

Judybug

So many pens, so little time!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

My Blog: Bywater Wisdom

Ditto Re: Judybug. Many of my NNs are decades old. They never leak or blop, They nearly always start right up even after weeks/months of sitting capped; at most they'll need a drop or two of water from the tap to start up. Truth be told, they put many $100 or $200 pens to shame.

• 11 months later...

Is it possible to get replacement nibs, non-italic ones, for the new viewpoint?

«This statement wouldn't be funny if not for irony.»

-Randall Munroe

Hi,

Don't own any of the newer models, but I am pretty sure they came individually with ordinary nibs, so should be possible to get replacements, have you tried contacting Sheaffer to ask.

Andy

I love these pens--if I ever see a Nononsense stainless I am going to buy it sooo fast. I have the "old timer" and love it--It has created thousands of drawings while in art school. It was the only FP that will draw through crayon, paint and glue and still write!! Wish they still made them or any Sheaffer flat tops for that matter.

www.stevelightart.com

I just received one Sheaffer Nononsense calligraphy set. I get it only about $6 including delivery. It's vy nice. Now practicing to write with it...

• 5 weeks later...

:happyberet: I also have a Sheaffer calligraphy set with 2 pens and 3 italic nibs purchased in 1985. Great performers and wouldn't trade them for anything. I use them all the time and they always start. Nothing wrong with the looks either. :D

Henrico

• 5 weeks later...
Is it possible to get replacement nibs, non-italic ones, for the new viewpoint?

Nib replacement: Last summer I sent five (5) No Nonsense nibs to Sheaffer for exchange. They charge $5.00 per exchange provided the nibs sent in are usable. I also exchanged some older gold nibs, same deal.

David

• 1 year later...

I have two of them on my desk inked right now. One I found some weeks ago in my golf bag. Who knows how long it was in there and then I left it in my car for nearly three weeks in sub freezing temps. It wrote perfectly when I checked to see if it had dried out. It has an italic F nib and I've learned to really enjoy the writing experience.

What a great pen.

Marvin

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go. My own wisdom, and that of all about me, seemed insufficient for the day." Abraham Lincoln

• 2 months later...

I agree! These pens are top performers. Here's my collection of them. Like Rique, I've had the one on the far left for over 20 years--since 1981. It was in a goody bag with other products from vendors that I received at the first U.S. calligraphy convention. Several of the others I've had for almost as long, and I've given several away to former students. Just got the purple one a couple of months ago.

http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/288/nononsense1sm5vt.jpg

Wow! What an impressive collection! I have just recently began collecting NN pens, and got 4 already, similar to the white (M), black (fine italic) and transparent blue (F) pens in the photo. I also got a cadmium yellow NN (M) that is just so beautiful! I can't stop staring at it for it's a very happy and uplifting color. :)

My other wish, aside from getting more of this pen, is to know how many colors Sheaffer really made. :)

Clem/diarcher

I had such bad experiences with both Shaeffer No Nonsense and those dimestore school shaeffers during my growing up year that I have never bought a more expensive Shaeffer. I have never had one that didn't drip ink at the slightet provocation. I spent my middle and high school years with my finger a lovely shade of washable blue. Then I went to Czechoslovakia (yes, this was a long time ago) and bought a bunch of Centropens that were just about a cheap, and behaved perfectly.

In fact I think the horrors of years of being blue is what spurred my interest in good cheap pens. Making a really good, inexpensive pen is an art in iteslf.

My son found one with a translucent green F italic on the way home from school last year and gave it to me. I LOVE IT!!!. Loved it so much I went out and got a Viewpoint (the rubber grip sectioned replacement) with a M italic. Wow, not even close. The No Nonsense is close to my favourite pen and the viewpoint my least.