10 replies to this topic

#1 Aldo in Avila

Aldo in Avila

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:13

I've had my Gentleman since the mid-eighties when I purchased it new from an art store in Berkeley, CA. Recently it developed a small leak near the nib that would all too often stain my fingers with ink. I sent it to the Waterman/Parker service center to have it fixed. Although these pens carry a lifetime warranty, I could not come up with the original purchase receipt, thus I agreed to pay $62.00 for the repair work. The pen is back in my hands, but with a new problem, now it stops writing half way through the second page of my notebook. Plenty of ink still in the converter (I have a Carene that does that also). As it turns out, the nib was not reassembled correctly. It is visibly offset from the feed (see picture). I bet that's the problem. Have you folks had any issues with this service center or is mine an isolated case?

Aldo

Attached Images

• Watermn_nib.jpg

#2 LouisA

LouisA

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 21:45

Based on my discussions with them all pens are sent to France and worked on there. No work is actually done at the Service Center.
I use a fountain pen because one ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to write a few reasonable words with a fountain pen.

#3 Jeff E

Jeff E

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2008 - 00:55

I recommend you contact the service center to explain the situation. For $62 the pen should have been correctly repaired. Frankly, in my opinion, you have received poor customer service. How many people save 20 year old receipts. Parker/Waterman has sunk to a new low in service.

Jeff
Change is inevitable, except from vending machines.

#4 DeSuisse

DeSuisse

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:05

crybaby.gif
The Waterman service in Nantes is now bad and prices very hight more than new pen wallbash.gif bawl.gif

#5 phillychuck

phillychuck

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 12:30

I sent in a Man 200 about a year ago for a leak -- around the top of the section, and it got returned in about 10 days, with the only charge being $5.00 postage -- and they did not ask for a receipt.

#6 DeSuisse

DeSuisse

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 13:44

for a ballpen etalon 280 swiss francs about 260 US $

Just to compare with Lamy service, which is excellent good information about the old production and quick answer by telephone or e-mail. to have someone in stanford service we have to wait for a long time and it is never the good man or woman (test for parker and for waterman except in Paris) thumbup.gif

#7 satrap

satrap

chgosatrap

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 18:02

Sending to France for repair is a recent change, within the last year, I believe. I was going to send in a pen for service a couple of weeks ago, but when I spoke to the rep, I decided not to. crybaby.gif I mean, for what they are going to charge me, they could sdend me to France happyberet.gif with the pen so I can wait until they finish the repair!

No, it's Yard-o-led for me from now on (Yard and Lamy are served by the same service center in CT) bunny01.gif
"... because I am NOT one of your FANZ!" the INTP said to the ESFJ.

#8 Aldo in Avila

Aldo in Avila

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 05:32

I sent a letter with a picture of the nib assembly to the Service Center in Wisconsin. That's where I sent the pen originally for the repair work. Am I to understand that Waterman/Parker ships the pens from there to France for the repair work?

Aldo

#9 Sandborn Redford

Sandborn Redford

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 12:31

I own four Waterman pens. One of them has skipped incessantly since I purchased it in 1989. I sent it in for repair years ago. It was sent back to me with a sloppily handwritten note that said "there is nothing wrong with your pen, you just need to learn how to clean it...it was dirty." "It was dirty" was highlighted with a yellow marker. I know enough about fountain pens to know whether or not one of my pens is dirty---and I also know enough to clean a pen before I send it in for repair. This particular pen was not dirty and the note was not only insulting, but it lacked any assemblance of professionalism. The pen still skips until this day and the whole experience has left a very sour taste in my mouth concerning what is now Waterman/Parker. If my pen was dirty then why does it still skip after these geniuses cleaned it? Answer: they are simply inept at their craft. I have two Pelikans that I use daily that have not been cleaned since 1989; funny thing; they never skip!
It is no use saying 'we are doing our best.' You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.

#10 satrap

satrap

chgosatrap

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 23:23

QUOTE(Aldo in Avila @ Mar 1 2008, 11:32 PM) View Post
I sent a letter with a picture of the nib assembly to the Service Center in Wisconsin. That's where I sent the pen originally for the repair work. Am I to understand that Waterman/Parker ships the pens from there to France for the repair work?

Aldo

Aldo, you are exactly right. According to teh Center, even if you send in a rOtring Core, it will be sent to France. lticaptd.gif
"... because I am NOT one of your FANZ!" the INTP said to the ESFJ.

#11 letartes

letartes

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 03:36

My experience with the US Waterman service center was bad. I sent a fountain pen for repair because the inside cap was defective. They said it is because I dropped the pen so it would not be covered under their lifetime warranty. Like it was not enough that this Waterman Expert II was poorly constructed, the customer service would not listen to me. I never dropped it. It was a bit scratched because I carry it in my bag, but it is an everyday writing instrument for me, not a fancy piece of desk jewellery. I chose to not get it repaired and invest that money in a decent pen like a Pelikan instead. I don't think I will ever buy a Waterman again.