5 replies to this topic

#1 gravitas

gravitas

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 23:16

This pen is most like the Lamy Vista in that it is totally clear. You can even see the nib when the cap is on.

First Impressions (5/5)

I saw this pen in a display case in Gibert Joseph in Paris. For only 14 euro (24 US dollars) it seemed like a great buy. I filled it with some J. Hebrin and it wrote well right out of the box. This is not an expensive pen and

Appearance (5/5)

If you like the Vista you will like the Phileas. It has a few more curves than the Lamy designs and looks a little less intimidating. The cap is less obstructed than the Vista. As a demonstrator I find it superior to the Vista in appearance.

Design/Size/Weight (4/5)

The pen is all plastic. The weight is not too heavy but still feels a little hefty. The waterman converter performs better than the Lamy converter. With the cap posted it feels like it fits in the hand better than the Vista although both are well balanced.

Nib (3/5)

The nib is all steel like the nib on the Vista. It is smooth but not overly so. It writes neither really wet or really dry. I have had problems with the feed where it doesn't lay down the same line when it first starts when using Noodler's Zhivago. I think overall the Vista has a superior nib.

Total: 17/20. A good buy for a nice pen to carry around.

#2 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 23:43

Also known as a Kultur.

Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...
The Blue Fingers Blog is live! Ramblings and musings (and occasional repair tips) from the bench.

#3 Ondina

Ondina

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,923 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:45

Thanks for the nice review on the Waterman Kultur demostrator, specially compared to the Lamy Vista. Does it come with the converter, or did you buy it like you must do with the vista? Good price, by the way.

#4 Hans-Peter Ording

Hans-Peter Ording

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:06

Nice review. I agree that the Waterman Kultur is a beautiful demonstrator.
In my opinion the nibs are of the same quality as Lamy's, if not better (concerning writing pleasure). One disadvantage is that some of the Kulturs dry out quite fast if not used regularly.

Regards
Hans-Peter
Pens I own: TWSBI Vac 700 (clear F), 2 × Lamy Safari (Savanna F, Lime 2008 M), Waterman Kultur (orange F)
Pens I got rid of: Cleo Skribent Chiffre 05; Lamy Joy, Logo; Pelikan Future, M250, Pelikano; Waterman Philéas

#5 lisa

lisa

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 12:17

I have 4 Kulturs at the moment (see here) and the nibs differ a lot on mine. Go from a very smooth fine to an extra fine and one in between that is scratchy even though the tines are aligned. They all say F on them. That and the fast drying when not used for a few days are the only things I'm less happy about. Otherwise they are great pens. thumbup.gif

#6 gravitas

gravitas

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 14:31

The convert was not included at that price. I agree that the nib will dry quickly when not in use for a few days.