Noodler's Baystate Blue - comprehensive review

WhosYerBob

What a marvelous approach to reviewing inks. Thanks ever so much.

BSB sure is a good news-bad news ink. I ruined a linen summer sports coat when the pen's cap came unscrewed in the breast inside pocket; the dry cleaner said they'd never seen anything like it. Also made the mistake of letting my spouse fill her pen with it which then was dribbled over the maple flooring (and I tried alcohol, bleach, etc., and two years later, its still prominent). It feathers on papers where no other ink (out of maybe twenty) has caused a problem and does fine on some previously problematic papers.

As many have noted above, if you like the colour, and I do, nothing else is in its league. It seems worth living with the difficulties given how it sings on the right paper.

first fountain pen: student Sheaffer, 1956

next fountain pen: Montblanc 146 circa 1990

favourite ink: Noodler's Zhivago

favourite pen: Waterman No. 12

most beautiful pen: Conway Stewart 84 red with gold veins, oh goodness gracious

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DaveBj

• WhosYerBob

• Strombomboli

• kiavonne

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"As many have noted above, if you like the colour, and I do, nothing else is in its league. It seems worth living with the difficulties given how it sings on the right paper. "

I agree wholeheartedly. Anyone who really loves this ( and many who may be undecided ) should bite the bullet and sacrifice as inexpensive a pen as possible to do this dye justice. I have never come across a better blue in my humble view.

Just gotta always be careful about jackets and carpets etc.

Live Long and Prosper.

I love the color. I usually don't like blue, but this is my one exception.

I don't mind the staining. I always try to be careful, so the most I've done is splash a little on a cheap wooden TV tray. (My hands also looked like I slaughtered a smurf the first time I used an eyedropper with it.)

The two biggest faults I've seen are the feathering and the way it soaks through most papers. Even my expensive papers have some feathering and bleed-through. On the better papers, the bleed through is little enough on the good papers that I don't mind. On cheaper papers, it makes the second side useless.

As noted above: it makes a fun color for correcting papers.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

My long awaited and much anticipated bottle of BSB arrived - and I immediately inked a Noodler's Konrad flex. Pretty disappointing as the ink wouldn't and still won't flow well. Scratchy and railroading. So I inked up a Safari with a broad nib. Seemed better initially, and the colour far more vibrant than in the Konrad. After a few light test runs, it seems the flow is drying up and the railroading becoming apparent. I love the colour and would happily use it in a daily writer, but the flow is killing me. Does anyone have any tips on how to improve/resolve this? I've read as many of the reviews as I can find, but can't seem to get much help.

Thanks in advance

I love the colour and would happily use it in a daily writer, but the flow is killing me. Does anyone have any tips on how to improve/resolve this?

I don't use this ink, but I have tried it. The standard advice is to add some distilled water.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

• 1 year later...

I inked up the Levenger that my son gave me, using a brand new converter, wrote the pen dry, and then flushed it. Everything came out squeaky clean and crystal clear. However, I didn't care for the color. If I'm going to use a blue ink, I want it to be BLUE, and for me, BSB comes out too close to black. I may try diluting the remainder of the sample that I have and see how that works. But so far I've managed to not get it on anything, so no staining.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

I used BSB for the first time the other day with a medium nib Jinhao, and I really didn't see anything special about it. It also took a while to clean out the tip of my converter and bathroom sink, so I don't think I'll be using it again.

If I'm going to use a blue ink, I want it to be BLUE, and for me, BSB comes out too close to black.

This is most interesting. In my pens, BSB is as blue as blue can be, I mean, it is the bluest blue there is. That's why I like it so much.

Do you write with very fine nibs? Could you post an image of it? I'd really like to see how BSB can be anything else but blue.

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

This is most interesting. In my pens, BSB is as blue as blue can be, I mean, it is the bluest blue there is. That's why I like it so much.

Do you write with very fine nibs? Could you post an image of it? I'd really like to see how BSB can be anything else but blue.

Yes, I do use fine-to-medium nibs. I'll poke around and see if I can find something. I've written the pen dry and have flushed it out because I have more inks coming.

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

DaveBj

I have used BSB in nibs ranging from gnats eyelash extra fine to 1.5 italic

Always blue blue (maybe a hint of purple) if you are getting black, there is an issue, but it may not be the ink.

I have used BSB in nibs ranging from gnats eyelash extra fine to 1.5 italic

Always blue blue (maybe a hint of purple) if you are getting black, there is an issue, but it may not be the ink.

I dunno. It was a brand new converter, and I had thoroughly flushed the feed and nib. It was very dark through the whole converter-full.

DaveBj

@DaveBj, I have to agree with the other posters - BSB is so garishly blue it borders on purple. I've never seen it write dark enough to border on black - unless your sample has been mislabelled, is contaminated, or has somehow gone off???

@DaveBj, I have to agree with the other posters - BSB is so garishly blue it borders on purple. I've never seen it write dark enough to border on black - unless your sample has been mislabelled, is contaminated, or has somehow gone off???

I'm going to try it again, and I'm going to flush the pen until . . . I was about to say something naughty, but never mind. The important thing about my comment a few spaces up was that I had thought that it might stain the inside of the converter, but it didn't, not at all.

DaveBj

I inked up the Levenger that my son gave me, using a brand new converter, wrote the pen dry, and then flushed it. Everything came out squeaky clean and crystal clear. However, I didn't care for the color. If I'm going to use a blue ink, I want it to be BLUE, and for me, BSB comes out too close to black. I may try diluting the remainder of the sample that I have and see how that works. But so far I've managed to not get it on anything, so no staining.

I just got a letter from you and noticed how dark your writing is. My Baystate Blue is nothing like this, so I wonder what happened?

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Well I would have loved to own this ink but I am disgusted to find that it is not for sale anywhere in the UK.

I can buy it from the states but it would end up costing $20 more than it should and for that money I could get 250 ml of Diamine.

@DaveBJ: Maybe you could produce a sample for us with a little strip of paper which you would put into the bottle and then unto paper. (Sorry for my clumsy description, I can't remember the English word right now.) Thus, we could see, if the ink looks like Baystate Blue and so decide if the problem has got to do with your bottle or with the pen.

Edited by Strombomboli

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

I don't use this ink, but I have tried it. The standard advice is to add some distilled water.

I recommend an EF nib. I just used one this morning [Nemosine Singularity/EF] to test BSB on eleven paper samples: Clairefontaine, Rhodia, Fabriano Ecoqua, 32lb HP Premium Choice, 24lb HP Laserjet, Tomoe River, Black N' Red, Staples Double Pad [yellow][Egypt], Costco/Tops yellow pad [uSA], Staples Filler [brazil], and Up&Up Reinforced Filler [Argentina]. (By the way, these are abbreviated tests: four lines of writing per pen-ink combo; but they tell me what I need to know when I'm trying to match pen to ink to paper.) Except for the severe show-through and/or partial bleed-through on all but one [staples Filler!] of the cheap papers, I found BSB to be surprisingly well behaved. Only one paper suffered feathering [up&Up, Target's brand], and it was so slight I had to squint to see it.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

post-112166-0-75256800-1407171184_thumb.jpg

DaveBj

Oh, what a relief! Now you know, what BSB is all about, and it's good to hear that you like it.

Iris

The sample posted above looks about the same blue as mine but the face-slapping brightness seems to have gotten lost in translation.

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens