44 replies to this topic

#31 millerb7

millerb7

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 18:31

I've had mine in my Pilot M90 for about 2 weeks now, and it's been AMAZING! Great ink so far.

#32 ildbig

ildbig

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:27

I've had good luck with Baystate Blue in an old Eversharp fountain pen.

#33 Chi Town

Chi Town

Collectors Item

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 September 2012 - 15:01

Nice Review!
I use my BSB in a no name India FP that writes forever. I can set it down and a week later it starts right up for me with no problem with BSB in it.
Mike

Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE F/P, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado,Genkai, Nakaya Decapod Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain!, Vintage Fountain Pen's
Marlen Yellow Liberty LE 113/382, Santa Fe Style Custom "51" Made by Ralph Prather

Danitrio Fellowship

#34 Mags

Mags

Life is more vibrant with a fountain pen and a bold wet ink line

• Member - Gold

• 923 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2012 - 13:59

I am going to sacrifice my TWSBI with a juicy 1.5 mm stub nib to trying out and using my bottle of this ink. I have 2 of the 540 diamond TWSBI pens and the 1.1 stub is a favorite and the other one lays a very wet line which with this bright blue will stand out. A noodler rollerball will also be sacrificed if I choose to use the ink at the office for quick signatures and long note taking sessions.

Thanks for the review and the ph caution will keep it out of medium and higher priced pens. I have a Lamy studio to sacrifice later if I really like this ink and it becomes my go to ink over cactus eel green from Noodlers. Are all ph levels the same with Noodlers?
Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)
I use a RIM PlayBook and a fountain pen.

#35 reval

reval

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2012 - 14:44

Are all ph levels the same with Noodlers?

No, most Noodler's inks are (close to) pH neutral, the Baystate series are an exception to this. I have tried BSB in several pens, so far no problems.

#36 WhosYerBob

WhosYerBob

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 939 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2012 - 18:05

No, most Noodler's inks are (close to) pH neutral, the Baystate series are an exception to this. I have tried BSB in several pens, so far no problems.

Be very careful with BSB. I had three (3) gold-plated No-Nonsense italic nibs crack right at the underside of the feed where it meets the section when charged with BSB for several days. I'd owned these particular pens for a long time prior and they were my favorites at the time, so I was not a happy camper when it happened.

As much as I love the color, I don't use it anymore.
Mitch
=======
Personal blog
Flickr

#37 2GreyCats

2GreyCats

Never met a Sheaffer I didn't like

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 December 2012 - 17:31

"Great barking cheese" ....

:roflmho:
"What the space program needs is more English majors." -- Michael Collins, Gemini 10/Apollo 11

alt="NerdTests.com says I'm an Uber Cool Nerd Queen. Click here...">

WTB: Looking for Sheaffer NN Nib section, Fine point (not italic).

#38 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky!

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,035 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:39

Do you have any pictures or scans?
When I grow up, I want to be a great lawyer. Until then, I practice.

#39 rustymac40

rustymac40

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:20

I am a big fan of this ink. I use it in a Sheaffer Targa Slim and have had no problems so far. I absolutely love the color...but yes, get it on your clothes and it stays there!

Regards, Russ

#40 chris.hale

chris.hale

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:54

I love BSB, I've tried quite a few blues now and I've never found anything that quite hits the blue spot like this does. IMO it's not necessary to dedicate a pen to it, but it does make life easier as you need to be thorough in your cleaning before filling with something else.

It's currently in my Lamy Vista with a fine nib, and it may have found a permanent home. The fine nib seems to more or less eradicate the feathering I was getting on some paper, although it works perfectly on Rhodia anyway.

#41 Belles-lettres

Belles-lettres

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2013 - 23:35

What a marvelous approach to reviewing inks. Thanks ever so much.

BSB sure is a good news-bad news ink. I ruined a linen summer sports coat when the pen's cap came unscrewed in the breast inside pocket; the dry cleaner said they'd never seen anything like it. Also made the mistake of letting my spouse fill her pen with it which then was dribbled over the maple flooring (and I tried alcohol, bleach, etc., and two years later, its still prominent). It feathers on papers where no other ink (out of maybe twenty) has caused a problem and does fine on some previously problematic papers.

As many have noted above, if you like the colour, and I do, nothing else is in its league. It seems worth living with the difficulties given how it sings on the right paper.
first fountain pen: student Sheaffer, 1956
next fountain pen: Montblanc 146 circa 1990
favourite ink: Noodler's Zhivago
favourite pen: Waterman No. 12
most beautiful pen: Conway Stewart 84 red with gold veins, oh goodness gracious

#42 loqutus

loqutus

What me worry?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:01

"As many have noted above, if you like the colour, and I do, nothing else is in its league. It seems worth living with the difficulties given how it sings on the right paper. "

I agree wholeheartedly. Anyone who really loves this ( and many who may be undecided ) should bite the bullet and sacrifice as inexpensive a pen as possible to do this dye justice. I have never come across a better blue in my humble view.

Just gotta always be careful about jackets and carpets etc.
Live Long and Prosper.

#43 Waski_the_Squirrel

Waski_the_Squirrel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:17

I love the color. I usually don't like blue, but this is my one exception.

I don't mind the staining. I always try to be careful, so the most I've done is splash a little on a cheap wooden TV tray. (My hands also looked like I slaughtered a smurf the first time I used an eyedropper with it.)

The two biggest faults I've seen are the feathering and the way it soaks through most papers. Even my expensive papers have some feathering and bleed-through. On the better papers, the bleed through is little enough on the good papers that I don't mind. On cheaper papers, it makes the second side useless.

As noted above: it makes a fun color for correcting papers.
Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

#44 luckyseven

luckyseven

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:02

My long awaited and much anticipated bottle of BSB arrived - and I immediately inked a Noodler's Konrad flex. Pretty disappointing as the ink wouldn't and still won't flow well. Scratchy and railroading. So I inked up a Safari with a broad nib. Seemed better initially, and the colour far more vibrant than in the Konrad. After a few light test runs, it seems the flow is drying up and the railroading becoming apparent. I love the colour and would happily use it in a daily writer, but the flow is killing me. Does anyone have any tips on how to improve/resolve this? I've read as many of the reviews as I can find, but can't seem to get much help.

Thanks in advance

#45 mhosea

mhosea

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,375 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:37

I love the colour and would happily use it in a daily writer, but the flow is killing me. Does anyone have any tips on how to improve/resolve this?

I don't use this ink, but I have tried it. The standard advice is to add some distilled water.
I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.