• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DaveBj

• WhosYerBob

• Strombomboli

• kiavonne

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I noticed that for fine-nib pens, Baystate Blue could become a killer by clogging up the nibs. But wet broad ones achieve their top brilliance with it. It's the most beautiful bluest blue I have ever seen.

Not necessarily. I've had it for three weeks in a fine nibbed Sheaffer Valor and for nearly that long in a black cross-hatched Pilot Elite with a Japanese fine nib (EF western) with no problems at all. Both start up as soon as they touch the paper even after sitting nib-up for a few days without use. I think it's a case of YMMV.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

• 1 month later...

When you say that it stained some nibs, what was the nib material that became stained? Thanks for a very thorough review.

I image there is no more bit of information that one could think of in an ink review that hasn't been provided here yet! Very well done! It's not an ink review - it's a scientific approach to a very good ink! Hope you could do more reviews like that. I've enjoyed reading your review a lot - outstanding!

Here is another vote for terrible feathering! Although it does not feather on the office letter head, so a great signature ink.

I tried Baystate Blue in two of my pens: a Waterman Edson Diamond Black and a Waterman L'Etalon. The ink performed very well, with a nice bright blue color that hasn't changed since I set it to paper, but also a tendency to stain tremendously. After seeing it stain my kitchen sink I decided I'd had enough of it and discharged it from both of my Watermans. It turned the bottom rounded feeder of my Edson a purple color and I was not able to clean it off with a paper towel. After no success, I decided to grab a couple of Q-Tips and 70% isopropyl alcohol and voila! the Baystate came off of the feeder at once, with no damage. Thank goodness!

I'm going to be very careful about the pens I use it in in the future.

• 2 years later...

Working in a hospital and sitting next to a bottle of Purell Instant Hand Sanitizer whti Moisturizers and Vitamin E with the active ingrediant of 62% ethyl alcohol

and inactive ingredients of ....the kitchen sink.....

It works great to take Baystate Blue off my skin. It works not so great to take the stain out of my light blue Mabie Todd Swan. I love the color but it gives even black

pens a gunmetal blue tint. My advice is pick the pen you want to use Baystate in and expect it to be stained permanently.

Agreed! Be prepared to sacrifice a pen for it. It works great in a Medium Nib Lamy Safari. I love this color. In fact, I can honestly say that I found and joined FPN because of BSB! Go figger.

- OPG4711

• 2 weeks later...

BSB is truly awesome! If you are prone to mix inks there are two Noodler's Baystate inks available, Cranberry and Concord Grape. Personally I think BSB is purple enough but would like to see it's vibrance with some red in it. Be carefull if you try mixing non-compatible inks. My first experience with BSB and ink from a Jet Black cartridge turned to solid sludge. Glad is was not inside of a good pen!

-watchin-

Wow! That was a great review! Thanks!

You'remyBob.........

Edited by dnb

What else do we have in life if not to help each other?

• 1 year later...

Nice Review!

I use my BSB in a no name India FP that writes forever. I can set it down and a week later it starts right up for me with no problem with BSB in it.

• 3 months later...

I am going to sacrifice my TWSBI with a juicy 1.5 mm stub nib to trying out and using my bottle of this ink. I have 2 of the 540 diamond TWSBI pens and the 1.1 stub is a favorite and the other one lays a very wet line which with this bright blue will stand out. A noodler rollerball will also be sacrificed if I choose to use the ink at the office for quick signatures and long note taking sessions.

Thanks for the review and the ph caution will keep it out of medium and higher priced pens. I have a Lamy studio to sacrifice later if I really like this ink and it becomes my go to ink over cactus eel green from Noodlers. Are all ph levels the same with Noodlers?

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

Are all ph levels the same with Noodlers?

No, most Noodler's inks are (close to) pH neutral, the Baystate series are an exception to this. I have tried BSB in several pens, so far no problems.

No, most Noodler's inks are (close to) pH neutral, the Baystate series are an exception to this. I have tried BSB in several pens, so far no problems.

Be very careful with BSB. I had three (3) gold-plated No-Nonsense italic nibs crack right at the underside of the feed where it meets the section when charged with BSB for several days. I'd owned these particular pens for a long time prior and they were my favorites at the time, so I was not a happy camper when it happened.

As much as I love the color, I don't use it anymore.

<span style='font-size: 12px;'><span style='font-family: Trebuchet MS'><span style='color: #0000ff'><strong class='bbc'>Mitch</strong></span><span style='color: #0000ff'>

=======

http://exploratorius.us

"Great barking cheese" ....

:roflmho:

"What the space program needs is more English majors." -- Michael Collins, Gemini 10/Apollo 11

Do you have any pictures or scans?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I am a big fan of this ink. I use it in a Sheaffer Targa Slim and have had no problems so far. I absolutely love the color...but yes, get it on your clothes and it stays there!

Regards, Russ

• 2 weeks later...

I love BSB, I've tried quite a few blues now and I've never found anything that quite hits the blue spot like this does. IMO it's not necessary to dedicate a pen to it, but it does make life easier as you need to be thorough in your cleaning before filling with something else.

It's currently in my Lamy Vista with a fine nib, and it may have found a permanent home. The fine nib seems to more or less eradicate the feathering I was getting on some paper, although it works perfectly on Rhodia anyway.