Parker italic nibs

Inkanthropist

Does anyone have experience of Parker's italic nibs? (I'm referring to their own versions, not ones adapted by someone else.) I've been wondering about a Sonnet with a medium italic nib, but this is not the kind of thing that my local pen shop is going to have in stock for me to try out.

Neil

[FPN ACCOUNT ABANDONED. I AM NO LONGER ACTIVE HERE, BUT AM SADLY UNABLE TO CLOSE MY ACCOUNT AND DELETE MY POSTS.]

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inkanthropist

• Maja

• Flere-Imsaho

• FrankB

Hi,

I believe they are nice and sharp, but I have only used one... :D

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Does anyone have experience of Parker's italic nibs? (I'm referring to their own versions, not ones adapted by someone else.) I've been wondering about a Sonnet with a medium italic nib, but this is not the kind of thing that my local pen shop is going to have in stock for me to try out.

Neil

The Parker italic is a true italic with very sharp corners giving wonderful line variation but does require a little more 'work' in keeping the pen from rotating and digging into the paper. This last just might be me as I tend to rotate my nibs counterclockwise.

All in all a nice italic nib.

Kurt H

Thanks, Dillon and Kurt, for your quick replies. That's just the kind of information I was looking for.

Neil

[FPN ACCOUNT ABANDONED. I AM NO LONGER ACTIVE HERE, BUT AM SADLY UNABLE TO CLOSE MY ACCOUNT AND DELETE MY POSTS.]

Neil,

I have just received my Duofold with fine italic nib #98 from Jean Michel Lewertowsky. (He is a great Parker/Waterman seller on eBay.)

As with all stub/italic nibs, it is important to keep pen at same angle.

If I compared it to Omas stub nib, Parker italic nib is sharp and crisp. Line variation is quite profound. It is sharper than stub nib. But if you keep correct angle, it is not difficult to write with. I can keep almost same speed as with round nibs. Meaning that it is more than suitable for business writting, but there could be an issue with taking notes in the classroom. (I would still do it.)

Another issue is the ink you will be using. I simply cannot use Herbin or Omas ink with stub or italic nib on fine Clairfontaine paper. Pens don't start and are skipping. Waterman, Diamine, Private Reserve and Noodler inks are much better. (I love Herbin ink in round nibs.)

Thanks for your comment, Klemenv. It's good to know about the ink situation.

Neil

Neil

The Parker italic is a true italic with very sharp corners giving wonderful line variation but does require a little more 'work' in keeping the pen from rotating and digging into the paper. This last just might be me as I tend to rotate my nibs counterclockwise.

All in all a nice italic nib.

Kurt H

I agree with Kurt. In my experience this standard medium italic nib is easy to use, alltough you will notice some more drag when writing due to the bigger contact surface than with a more rounded normal nib. This is not a nib polishing issue, the nib is very smooth under the microscoop. All in all a very nice italic nib. No need for a nibmeister here.

However, if you are using very smooth paper, like for instance the Clairfontaine hardcover notebooks, then you will probably be less than happy due to problems with starting. But then it can also be me, since I have problems with starting in the Clairefontaine notebooks with almost every nib above normal M.

This is a photo of the standard Parker medium italic nib on my Parker Sonnet.

http://home.planet.nl/~flere-imsaho/parsonchi/parsonchi04.jpg

Regards,

-Hans.

smilehttp://home.kpn.nl/geele160/pinno.gifand enjoy the moment

I have really gotten into the Duofold italic nibs, and I currently have a dozen pens with those nibs. I have found the F intalic nibs to be too narrow for me to get good line variation. To me they are more like stub nibs than true italics, especially on the International size nibs. I have a couple F italics on Centennial pens, but I have changed to M or B italics on most of my pens since I get my best results with the larger nibs. And I love them and they are my benchmark for italic nibs!

I am a bit puzzled by references to Sonnets having M italic nibs. A couple of years ago, I called the Parker service center to ask if they had italic nibs available for Sonnets. When they said they did, I sent off a new Sonnet for a nib exchange, but I got back a nib clearly marked (on the in feed) "S" which can only mean "stub." It writes quite well, but it is a stub. I called to inquire, and was told the service center had provided me with an italic nib. I kept the pen and the nib as is, but I don't use it frequently.

Earlier this year, I bought a Sonnet from the Pentrace green board that was advertized as a M italic. That pen, too, is marked "S." It writes with a little more line variation than my original Sonnet "S," but it is still a stub. I do not feel the seller was being deceptive at all, and I intend to keep that pen, too.

This narrative leads me to my question: has Parker introduced a series of italic nibs for the Sonnet in standard F, M, and B? Is there only a M italic available for Sonnets? Or is the nib the same "S" that I have and it is being referenced as a "M italic?" (I am sure that is what the seller of my recent purchase did.)

Frank

I'm not sure that I can answer your question, but here's my story. I emailed Parker via their website on Friday morning, and a reply came back from their European office in under an hour. They kindly sent me an Excel spreadsheet file containing information about what's currently available for the Sonnet. I'm attaching a screenshot of the document here (well, I hope I am, as I've never tried to attach an image before!). As you'll see, there's no reference to a stub, but they do distinguish between italic and oblique nibs.

Neil

Okay, trying again with the image...

I have recently ordered a medium italic nib for my Sonnet. And indeed I also received a nib unit marked S.

In the Dutch language general Parker information there is no mentioning of a stub nib, only of differrent types of italic nibs.

Possibly Peter Twydle of the Penmuseum nib sale webpage can answer your question. He sells all the different types of Sonnet nibs.

My bet is that Parker just puts the S on all their italic nibs.

Also check out George Kovalenko article on the (non) difference between stub and italic.

In this article Richard Binder explains the difference between the stub and the italic as the lengthwise rounding of the nib. I have checked my Sonnet S-marked medium italic nib and my conclusion it that it is shaped more as an italic than as a stub. It has also a very big linewidth variation between the up-down and sideways strokes.

Regards,

-Hans.

For the Dutchees the dutch info is here. :D

Well, I managed to upload the file, but it's not showing in the body of the message itself. Can anyone tell me how you post an image like Hans did above? I can't seem to find an answer in the 'Help' section.

Neil

My even more clever guess :eureka: is that the S on the feed means a Special nib, to differentiate from the normal rounded nibs.

Regards,

-Hans.

Thanks, Neil and Hans. By the way, did you notice that on the Sonnet nib chart the M and B italics are not indicated as available? <_< I wonder?

At least I am not alone in my Sonnet nib quandry. I do wonder whether "S" would mean anything other than "stub." Pen manufactureres are pretty conservative about nomenclatures, and an innovative use of an accepted marking would be unusual. Someone will have to help me here, but I recall a couple of years ago some pen manufacturer attempted to change the "B" designations on nibs to "G" for "grande." Wasn't that the deal? The try lasted a matter of weeks and died a sudden death because it was not "standard."

Richard Binder indicates in his narrative that stub nibs are considered a form of italic. He differentiates between stub, cursive italic and crisp italic, maintaining that all are italic nibs. Perhaps Parker is using the same criterion. But the nib chart indicates M and B italics are available, presumably as "crisp" italics.

I am putting all this energy into this discussion because I would love to try a M or B italic if I was sure they existed. :drool: I am going to call the Parker service center later today to see what they say about the italics.

Thanks for the info, gents! It will definitely help me make my decision when I get the nib info sent to me :)

Update: got the nib exchange info from Viv ("einv" here on FPN) and the chart from Parker (USA, I presume?) says that the nib choices for the Sonnet are:

XF, F ,M ,B , BB (extra broad), Medium and Broad Oblique (looks like your left foot---preferred by most right-handed writers), Medium and Broad Reverse Oblique (looks like your right foot---preferred by most left-handed writers) and Medium and Broad Italic nibs.

I think I will go with a Medium Italic...

Oooh, exciting! Do let us know how it turns out, Maja. I'm still trying to decide what to do.

Neil