The Best Pen Brands

jkrewalk

Funny you should ask that question, jkrewalk: yesterday, I managed to write with my father's Parker 51. He died in 1980, and no one had used his pen since then, so that's 28 years. All I did was 'suck up' a tiny drop of water with the pump. The ink it contained got diluted a little bit and the pen started almost immediately. I couldn't believe it.

WOW - Now THAT's a well made pen that knows how to write!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing that story.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jkrewalk

• PDW

• Garageboy

• langere

Omas - my 360 mezzo starts every time without a fuss. Perfect.

It seems I must try some Pelikans :)

I also love my Omas - But I must admit the results of this poll shows the Pelikans as the reigning champions as the best starting pen brand in the world!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations Pelikan!

John

Krewalk.com

My Sailors, Pelikans, and VP's haven been my most reliable pens. But alas, my Lamy's have given me some problems. While I like the ink flow and feel of the nibs, my recently purchased Accent skips on the first stroke (using Lamy ink and PR), and my blue AL Star also occasionally skips. :hmm1:

My vintage Sheaffer's with Triumph nibs that wrap around the big feed are amazing for instant smooth no skip starts first time , every time! :thumbup:

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

I also love my Omas - But I must admit the results of this poll shows the Pelikans as the reigning champions as the best starting pen brand in the world!!!!!!!!!!!

I find it funny to read about 'starting' pens because I'm old enough to have learned to write first with a lead pencil, then with a dipping pen, graduating to a fountain pen a little later. I'm not sure whether I would manage to write with a FP if I'd never used one before and after years of using nothing but ballpoint/gel pens. How difficult is it? Just curious. :-)

Hello,

Usually, when a pen is inked it enters my "working" rotation and seldom rests for a day.

Then my wife made a Delta Dolce Vita Medium as a Xmas present to me, and I feel,like this is a too big and flashy pen for the work I'm done. However I didn't resist to ink it to try. I was surprised on how smooth and good it writes.

Now the Delta is in my pen stand, I use it on the week ends only to make some journaling, few times i did not use it for a forthnight. But it is surprising: every time it touch paper, leave a beautiful, even line. I am impressed.

Even with my Lamys (that, I agree with others, write immediately) the first centimeter of "morning" ink is slightly darker... this is not happening with my Delta, I love it!

Cheers,

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

My vintage Sheaffer's with Triumph nibs that wrap around the big feed are amazing for instant smooth no skip starts first time , every time! :thumbup:

Then mine must be a bit "messed up", cuz after a day I always have to give it a slight push to start, and even while writing it will occasionally "skip" on the first stroke of a word. Hmmmmmmm.

Though I will put in another vote for Pelikan, even though I don't like their nibs, they do start reliably. And, at least for me, Cross has been extremely dependable.

Edited by karcirate

I would have to say that my Pelikan and my Lamys are my best writers. Unfortunately, I would have to say that it is my Mont Blanc that always has trouble getting started. A very annoying problem considering the cost.

I can second this and the Parker 51. No problems with any vintage or modern Pelikan or Lamy. My Parker 51s have no starting problems either.

Unfortunately I cannot get my MB 144 to work properly. My vintage MBs are picky about ink (e.g. great dislike of MB black with skipping, starting problems and clogging) but work fine with troublefree inks like Waterman blue. One of my best writers is a MB 342.

• 6 years later...

I used many brands of fountain pen, and I concluded that Parker is the best starting pen. Obviously, this is my opinion, so I apologize if Parker is not your favorite pen brand.

My Parker Sonnet and 75 tied for the 1st place, beating all other pens. They started flawlessly every time I pull my cap off.

The brand that was close of beating Parker was Waterman. It also started nicely, but on my 3rd trial, I had a fatal skip.

This are my pens, so your results can be different from mine. Therefore, I you disagree with me, please do not beat me up.

-William S. Park

Edited by william2001

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane. - Graham Greene

Pelikan, my Hero and my Aurora fall into that category...Up until recently a Platinum 3776 Century was probably the BEST starter ever. I rid myself of that pen because it was a medium nib and unusable for me but it never failed to start...ever.

Edited by FountainPages

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

I used to have major league starting issues. Scratch pad central. Once I moved away from primarily ink cartridges, most of those problems went away. Cross, Pelikan, Mont Blanc and Parker seem to be fine. But I even have good luck with Jinhao once I replace the nib and sometimes the converter. I think careful ink choices and a little TLC make for as much difference as the pen brand.

• 2 months later...

Thus far all my pens are great. I have 2 montblqnc, one pelikan, one pilot, one sailor, and one platinum.

WTB Sheaffer Balance oversized with a flex nib, semi flex, broad, or medium in carmine red or grey striated.

Wtb Sheaffer Pfm in black or blue with a medium or broad nib.

QUOTE(Robert Hughes @ Feb 21 2008, 10:01 PM) 521748[/snapback]
QUOTE(georges zaslavsky @ Feb 21 2008, 02:15 PM) 521651[/snapback]
The Omases I own never had a single starting problem.

Wouldn't that be 'Omasses'? 'Omassus'? Or perhaps, 'Omai'?

Oh, my!

Omasi is correct. Obviously

Omates - 3rd declension, increasing. Omasi only if Omasus in the singular (2nd declension) :D

Edit to correct grammar

Edited by PDW