why people love, and hate, moleskines

limesally

Moleskine notebooks seem to provide such a variety of experience that it almost seems as if we're talking about different notebooks. In fact, it does seem as though we're using different notebooks. A while ago I was about to finish using a large blank journal and start on a large ruled, so I took note of my currently inked pens. Big difference between the blank and ruled books - for this batch, at least!

I'll link to larger images, in case someone wants to really see bleedthrough and feathering :)

Blank moleskine:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2093/2269524702_6056238f13_b.jpg

Ruled moleskine:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2201/2268733797_dd2f2c6c20_b.jpg

That said, I'm using the ruled moleskine anyway. I might have a higher tolerance for bleedthrough than a lot of other people - but once you write on both sides of the paper, the appearance of bleedthrough is minimal. I still find that the overall design of the hard cover, and lie-flat-ness (please! someone tell me the real word for this!) and the feel of the paper while writing on it trumps the minor inconvenience of bleed.

Edited by limesally

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• limesally

• adair

• dapv

• tawanda

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen the same difference between the blank versions and the weekly planners, with the planners bleeding less than the blanks.

<span style='font-size: 12px;'><span style='font-family: Trebuchet MS'><span style='color: #0000ff'><strong class='bbc'>Mitch</strong></span><span style='color: #0000ff'>

=======

http://exploratorius.us

Limesally,

I agree, once you write on both sides of the paper, the appearance of bleedthrough is minimal. The overall look and feel, design of the hard cover, the lie-flat-ness, availability, and price trumps the minor inconveniences some many have mentioned. And ... now I can get a leather cover from gfeller.

d.

CFTPM

My experience has been the opposite, with the blank page journals giving the most show/bleed through and the lined being a bit better. Like others though, I have accepted a bit of show through so that I can share the wonderful notebooks that so many great artists used...actually I never bought into that (Potty Mouth), I just like the form of the journals.

Limesally - I like your handwriting. Very pretty!

I've been using $5 lined notebooks (hardcover, black, "JOURNAL" stamped on the front, which I cover with one of my photos) from Barnes & Noble.

I like the Moleskin, but I end up pasting e-mails I print out and photos on the pages (in addition to writing in it), so it doesn't make sense for me to pay a premium for notebooks.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

• 2 weeks later...

Your handwriting is stunning limesally! Just beautiful.

I would say our Pelikan Royal Blues do the same thing for both of us. I am impressed by the Noodler's Bulletproof Black, but I'm not sure I can bring myself to write with black (I prefer a visually softer colour).

The Pelikans seem to give you the biggest problem of all the pens, perhaps I do need to look at changing that aspect of it. I was getting very fond of my little Pura though.

Thanks for this link, awesome post, very helpful.

-----

Just a glitch in your matrix

The Moleskin reporter's notebook (large size) is one of my favorite traveling notebooks. I have never had a problem with my Lamy Accent, Safari, or AL-Star pens (F, F, and M respectively) using Lamy and Waterman inks in the Moleskin. The only caveat I have is that if your hands are oily and you rest them on one spot on the paper for too long, you can create a "null-spot" that the ink won't disperse on. I have noticed this phenomenon with other papers as well, so it is not unique to Moleskins.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer when it comes to the notebook format and paper types that you choose based on your pens, inks, and writing style. The real blessing is that, thanks to online shopping, it is possible to buy paper and notebooks from all over the world at reasonable prices.

There is a psychology to writing that goes beyond the act itself; the tools of the craft can help to personalize and create enthusiasm for whatever type of writing you're working on. I know that my newfound interest in fine writing instruments and inks has definitely sparked my interest and creativity for working longhand, something that I'd thought I'd lost with my growing collection of computers, my other expensive hobby... :ltcapd:

Cheers,

A.J.

In an infinite universe, everything must exist.

The Pelikans seem to give you the biggest problem of all the pens, perhaps I do need to look at changing that aspect of it. I was getting very fond of my little Pura though.

Oh, don't give up on your Pura! It's just the inks I happened to have in my Pelikans at the time - and for that matter, the school pens (GO, Pelikano) are very wet and broad writers. If you have an F on your Pura, you might happen upon the right ink.

At the moment I have Lamy Blue in my M150 and it's working wonderfully in my bleedy moleskine - bright colour, lovely shading, crisp lines. My only reservation is that it's not waterproof - but it's in my home journal anyway so I don't care so much.

AJ above reminded me that I have also used Waterman blue with pretty good success as long as it's not in wet nib (a Pelikano F is not exactly an F, you see :) )

Re: Pelikan FPs. Do yourself a favor and speak with John Mottishaw. Jon can tweak it specifically to your liking.

Just a thought.

CFTPM

I have found Moleskins pretty much useless. I keep my notebook in my back pocket. My Moleskins fell apart after a few weeks. I now have a Clairfontaine which seems to be holding up. The Moleskins always bled through for me with more or less any ink and pen I tried. They were fine for ballpoints. So while they seem to be trendy, I've found them less than ideal.

I'm not a fan of Moleskines, but I really like your handwriting! Just wanted to drop that comment into this thread...

Doug

thank you for the kind comments on my handwriting. Certainly playing with pens, ink and paper are additional reasons to practice going a little beyond mere legibility :)

And of course, one keeps looking for the just the right combination....

• 6 months later...

I use Moleskine and none of them bleed through or have feathering problems. I suspect this: the type of nib and ink used might be of matter. I use basically exclusively F nibs (mostly Japanese F nibs).

My pens are: Pilot Décimo, Pilot 78G, Pilot Birdie, Rotring Core XS nib.

My inks are: Noodler's Bulletproof black, Pelikan 4001 royal blue, Visconti Sepia, Quink black, Skrip black.

I can imagine that with a medium or broad nib that there will be bleed through with Moleskine paper.

* I do have a Lamy Studio with XF nib but I'm sending it in to have a proper Japanese F or Japanese XF nib. I guess I can't stand these European XF nibs. They're like medium or broad to me.

m( _ _ )m (– , –) \ (^_^) /

I use Moleskine and none of them bleed through or have feathering problems. I suspect this: the type of nib and ink used might be of matter. I use basically exclusively F nibs (mostly Japanese F nibs).

Right, but the point of the scans is that even using the exact same ink and nibs, paper in one notebook will behave differently from that in another notebook.

But actually, my new point (and I do have one :) ) is that I've found that it isn't just a fine vs. medium nib thing. There's an assumption that fine nibs - especially Japanese ones - will be better. For me, wetness and the way the line is delivered makes more of a difference - I have a Namiki Falcon F that writes a fine, but very wet line, and I will often get bleedthrough with the same ink that will actually behave better in a M nib, because it spreads the ink out a bit more. I've occasionally had a similar problem with my F Sapporo. In fact, I'll sometimes get better results with a M Sailor 1911 nib than a F Sapporo, using the same ink.

So while *most* of the time a fine nib will help control the bleed, it ain't necessarily so, and as always, YMMV.

Edited by limesally

Would you have any recommendations for a beginner. I have always used pocket pc's, palms, symbian devices to organize my life.

Best wishes.

Great writing! I think I may be a diehard Moleskine fan. I just like them, everything about them; I've tried all the other major names and just keep going back to Moleskines. I agree with the others who said that it's such a personal choice that no number of discussions on it will ever generate a definitive answer (especially since Moleskine itself has no definitive product).

The lay of the book is a huge matter for me and no other comes close. I enjoy the feedback from the paper under the nib and the only bleeder I've encountered is PR Plum in a M or a wet fine.

I recently got a RenArt cover and I'm in 7th heaven with it. A couple actually noticed the book at a coffee shop recently and wanted to know all about it. LOL, we lead by example! ;)

Shoppy: My advice is what I was once advised: Get your hands on a few pens and figure out your preferred nib size. That was great advice for me and really drove home my personal preferences. I then went on to find my ideal inks, and began a long paper-testing journey that ended where it began— Moleskines.

Edited by AfterMyNap

—Cindy

“This is the sort of pedantry up with which I will not put.”

—Winston Churchill (attributed)