• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gillyohan

• Bill

• teeitup418holes

• LoveMyLamy

I don't know of any in Louisville but if you can make the trip to Cincinnati you will be pleasantly surprised to find a nice pen store in the Carew Tower at 4th and Vine. Two true pen lovers own the store and will be delighted to see you even if you are not buying at the moment.

Indianapolis has a couple of places - Paradise pen and Avalon which is home to Private Reserve Ink.

I am new to town and wondering where does one go to find real fountain pens (and ink) in Louisville, KY?

I am new to town and wondering where does one go to find real fountain pens (and ink) in Louisville, KY?

There is a few places in Louisville and its suburbs. I can't think of them at the moment, and I'm on a painfully slow connection. You can find a few of them by going to the Private Reserve, Noodler's, Lamy, MB, Pelikan, etc. websites and searching for authorized dealers....that's how I found the Luoisville dealers. Once you find a few that way, you can ask about others while you're in-store.

Good Luck!!

~~King

Hi,

While visiting my old hometown of Louisville over the Christmas holidays, I didn't find any stores that sold fountain pens. Admittedly I wasn't hunting them out.

However, at Lexington Green Mall, about an hour or two east of you, Leather Inc. has a great selection of new pens: Waterman, Omas, Pelikan, Lamy. Conklin, I think. Probably Parker and Sheaffer and a few others, but I wasn't drooling over those brands the day I visited, so my memory's a bit fuzzy about them.

Cheers,

Mark

Say what you like about Sir Thomas Bent, but he was a man. He mightn't have much honesty if there was big money to be got, and he liked his gin and tonic strong and fraquint, an' a rovin' eye for wimmen, but outside them matters he was as pure as the drivellin' snow.

Another vote for Appointments in Cincinnati. I was there a while back and they were most helpful. You will not be disappointed if you pay them a visit.

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

Not certain about Louisville... but toss another suggestion for Appointments in Cincinnati onto the growing pile, well worth the road trip.

I can also vouch for Appointments in Cincinnati ... I usually visit every couple weeks. It's well worth the drive from Louisville.

angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night --Ginsberg

We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. --Buddha

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently Carrying:

Dani Trio Fellowship (F), TWSBI Diamond 530 (XF), Visconti Opera Granite (B), Sailor Sapporo (F)

I don't know of any in Louisville but if you can make the trip to Cincinnati you will be pleasantly surprised to find a nice pen store in the Carew Tower at 4th and Vine. Two true pen lovers own the store and will be delighted to see you even if you are not buying at the moment.

I can also vouche for Appointments in Carew Tower (also called Tower Place Mall). I've bought a few pens there and a couple inks. Prices are what you would expect given the location but IMO, worth it. From Louisville, about an hour and a half drive.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.

Frank Herbert, Dune

US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr

• 3 weeks later...

Add me to the recommendations pile-on for Appointments. I stopped by there after searching on here to try to find a local pen store in Cincinnati.

I had wanted to pick up a Pelikan M200 for a nice starter pen, but I wanted to try one out first. Wow, I definitely ended up at the right place. It turns out that I know Doug from someplace else but I'm betting that he treats everyone at least as well as he treated me. He's just that kind of guy. I've been very happy with my M200 and the forest green ink I bought.

Of course, now I find that I really liked that Omas with the titanium nib he let me try out... oh dear...

I live in the 'Ville - and haven't found a brick/mortar store that caters to my FP addition :rolleyes:

I've been to Paradise Pens in Indy - excellent store - Vito was a great help! I need to road trip to either Cincy or Frankfort.

• 1 year later...

I found one, http://www.thewritefill.com/, but I don't know (yet) if he does local sales or just mail order. Once I hear back, I'll update. I'd like to know, too!

You might try the following:

Taylor Trunk (most of the malls)

Arvey Paper on Market St. downtown

Preston Arts on Bardstown at Gardiner Lane (make sure you get FP ink, as a lot of the art inks will destroy a FP, but I am sure you know that!)

Artist & Craftsman on Kentucky off Barrett

If you have any success, let us know!

This may sound funny, but there is a small boutique-style men's clothing and accessory store called "Edgar's" at the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. Google map: 2825 Lexington Rd., 40280. Go the east side of the campus and into Honeycutt building. I'm not sure about their hours; I think they open mid-morning, close for lunch, then open until mid/late afternoon. They carry Lamy, Waterman, Sailor pens (maybe more), and PR, Lamy, Sailor, inks (again, maybe more). Not a huge selection, but they have most of their pens available to dip test. The workers don't specialize in FPs, but they like them and know enough to be helpful. The number is: 502-897-4337

If you are looking for someone who carries Noodler's and PR inks, I can connect you with someone who is a distributor. PM me.

Edited by gillyohan

Inked:

Pelikan m205 black 0.9ci/F Italifine (Diamine Damson);

Aurora 88 nikargenta (Iroshizuku Kon-Peki);

Pelikan 140 Steno (J Herbin Lie de Thé)

This may sound funny, but there is a small boutique-style men's clothing and accessory store called "Edgar's" at the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. Google map: 2825 Lexington Rd., 40280. Go the east side of the campus and into Honeycutt building. I'm not sure about their hours; I think they open mid-morning, close for lunch, then open until mid/late afternoon. They carry Lamy, Waterman, Sailor pens (maybe more), and PR, Lamy, Sailor, inks (again, maybe more). Not a huge selection, but they have most of their pens available to dip test. The workers don't specialize in FPs, but they like them and know enough to be helpful. The number is: 502-897-4337

If you are looking for someone who carries Noodler's and PR inks, I can connect you with someone who is a distributor. PM me.

You are correct. They are open Monday through Friday 11-5. They actually have a good selection of the above mentioned (Lamy, Waterman, and Sailor) and run them at a great price with 15%-20% regularly...

Yeah, they had a 15% off sale last week. Last time I purchased from there they included a free bottle of ink with every pen. They currently have a King of Pen there if anyone wants to buy one. :thumbup:

You are correct. They are open Monday through Friday 11-5. They actually have a good selection of the above mentioned (Lamy, Waterman, and Sailor) and run them at a great price with 15%-20% regularly...

Inked:

• 1 month later...

I'm relatively new here, but I've been to Edgar's a couple times (FPN is where I heard about Edgar's -- thank you!). It's not a the largest selection, but they do carry a decent amount of fountain pen products considering men's clothing is their primary product. I went ahead and blogged about them with pics if you're curious: www.louisquill.com.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hope L, hopeless nib nerd

Neglected blog: www.louisquill.com

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

I'm relatively new here, but I've been to Edgar's a couple times (FPN is where I heard about Edgar's -- thank you!). It's not a the largest selection, but they do carry a decent amount of fountain pen products considering men's clothing is their primary product. I went ahead and blogged about them with pics if you're curious: www.louisquill.com.

Nice blog post on Edgar's. I'm really hoping they will begin carrying Pilot and other brands.

Inked:

I live in the 'Ville - and haven't found a brick/mortar store that caters to my FP addition rolleyes.gif

I've been to Paradise Pens in Indy - excellent store - Vito was a great help! I need to road trip to either Cincy or Frankfort.

The best pen reason to make the two-hour run to Indy would be to visit Zionsville, home of Private Reserve inks and Avalon Pen.

Bill

Hi,

While visiting my old hometown of Louisville over the Christmas holidays, I didn't find any stores that sold fountain pens. Admittedly I wasn't hunting them out.

However, at Lexington Green Mall, about an hour or two east of you, Leather Inc. has a great selection of new pens: Waterman, Omas, Pelikan, Lamy. Conklin, I think. Probably Parker and Sheaffer and a few others, but I wasn't drooling over those brands the day I visited, so my memory's a bit fuzzy about them.

Cheers,

Mark

+1 on Leather Inc. They probably have the best selection of pens in Kentucky. They also do a pen show each October, where reps from most of the major companies are there and they give discounts on pens. Their phone number is: 1-859-273-1382. I am not affiliated, I just buy most of my pens there. Also, If you are into high end pens--Seng Jewelers on 4th street near 4th street live sells David Oscarson pens. Also Gumers jewellers on Hurstbourne lane sells Dunhill pens.

Secundum Artem

+1 on Leather Inc. They probably have the best selection of pens in Kentucky. They also do a pen show each October, where reps from most of the major companies are there and they give discounts on pens. Their phone number is: 1-859-273-1382. I am not affiliated, I just buy most of my pens there. Also, If you are into high end pens--Seng Jewelers on 4th street near 4th street live sells David Oscarson pens. Also Gumers jewellers on Hurstbourne lane sells Dunhill pens.

This is an old thread, but I'm happy to see it rise again. It's great to see so many Kentuckians here at FPN!

I live about 1 or 2 miles from Leather Inc.! It's a smaller store, but they have all the big names and even a random selection of less common things such as Krone. Last time I checked they didn't carry Noodler's, but if they ever do, I'll be in trouble! I've been going to their "pen show" for the past 4 or so years and always buy something each year. This year I bought a Namiki Falcon, and last year I bought a green Visconti Van Gogh Maxi. This year I won one of the door prizes too--it was a ball point pen, but it's still a really nice one! A Lalex Forme Square valued at $150+ so I can't complain! :)

--Stephen

Howdy!

I'm a Customer Service Associate at Edgar's:)

Thanks to LouisQuill for the blog post: http://louisquill.blogspot.com/2010/01/yes-virginia-there-is-fountain-pen.html

I know this is kind of a shameless self-promotion, but you can find us here:

http://www.sbts.edu/current-students/amenities/edgars/

-Alex

Welcome. Hope you stay around and participate. There's also a section of the forum (Marketplace, I think) where you can post notices when your store is having a sale, or gets something new and interesting in. That way folks who might find themselves in your area can be aware of it.