PR DC Supershow 2004 vs. 2005

Betty

Sorry for taking these 2 pictures from previous posts. There are scanned reviews for both the 2004 and 2005 versions. They say it's the same color, so I guessed the computer scans are quite different from computer to computer.

A 2004:

http://img118.exs.cx/img118/8387/dcsupersowblue9ge.jpg

2005:

http://static.flickr.com/30/61767474_d3ddcb79ce.jpg

My 2004 DC Supershow Blue comes out like the 2005 scan, but what I'm looking for is a color that looks like the 2004 scan. Any suggestions?

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Betty

• TheNobleSavage

• Dillo

• klemenv

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Remember that the ink isn't the only variable. The pen's nib and feed, and sometimes the paper, also are significant in determining what you get.

Moppie,

Working on the assumption that the DC 2005 Blue was written on white paper and that there was a color shift in the scan. I took the liberty of color correcting the paper on that image. If this was not the case, I apologize and will remove this thread...

Here is what they look like side by side with the color correction...

http://img118.exs.cx/img118/8387/dcsupersowblue9ge.jpg http://www.myfavoritepen.com/DC2005.jpg

To be honest, my 2004 DC Blue doesn't look much like either :huh:

IMO, what distinguishes this ink is its very extreme shading, from a very dark, oily blue to an almost-turquoise, with little in the way of intermediate colours in between. It may be my pens, which are all fairly wet writers, but I really only like to use it with a fine nib, which tames it a bit. Ottoman Azure, which has similar characteristics, isn't quite as extreme I find.

Of course it may just be the scans ... or my monitor ... or both :blink:

To be honest, my 2004 DC Blue doesn't look much like either :huh:

IMO, what distinguishes this ink is its very extreme shading, from a very dark, oily blue to an almost-turquoise, with little in the way of intermediate colours in between. It may be my pens, which are all fairly wet writers, but I really only like to use it with a fine nib, which tames it a bit. Ottoman Azure, which has similar characteristics, isn't quite as extreme I find.

Of course it may just be the scans ... or my monitor ... or both :blink:

My 2004 DC Blue looks nothing like it either :( I LOVE the 2004 scanned color.

My 2004 Supershow blue looks a lot more like the way the 2005 scan appears on my monitor. I love the way the 2004 scan looks and wish my ink looked that way, but I think the paper would have to be backlit to glow the way the scan looks.

John

The blue you see on my 2004 scan is a little bit off but not by too much though. I am getting another review site and it will deal directly and exclusively with fountain pen ink!!

Using a scanner is OK for pictures and what not. When the color and white balance are crucial especially when it comes to ink, then I think a better method will be using my digital camera for my site.

I ordered 8 bottles of 2005 DC SS blue and 2 bottles of American Blue. I go through A lot of DC SS blue, It would be safe to say I go through a bottle every 2 to 3 weeks. I always have at least 2 bottles of DC SS Blue at work and several at home. One of my Visconti Ink pots is dedicated to SS Blue, I tell ya, Im addicted!!!! I make it a habit to NEVER run out of this ink!!! I noticed ZERO difference between 2005, 2004 and 2003. I tend to use medium to broad nibs, especially with this ink. The colors are so vibrant and saturated, there is no ink like it. American Blue is a very close second IMO.

I have to admit that www.isellpens.com has one of the lowest prices for Private Reserve and Noodlers ink. 5.99 a bottle for PR and 9.99 for Noodlers. I bought the 4 1/2 ounce big eyedropper bottle of Noodlers Black for 14.99. This is quite a bit cheaper than I have seen anywhere else. No affiliation but a happy customer!!

TNS

Edited by The Noble Savage

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

I go through a bottle every 2 to 3 weeks

How come? If I work real hard, I have to refill pen every third day. How do you manage?

(Ask PR to sell you ink in quart bottles. Pelikan does that.)

Hi,

I refill every two days for my Pelikan M200.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Hi Moppie,

My version of DC 2003 looks like TNS's 2004, maybe slightly darker in a medium wet pen.

What you should take into consideration is that different pens with different nibs give different results with the same ink. It depends on the wetness of the nib, but also on the width of the nib. This is one of the reasons I like to use so many different nibs in my ink reviews, just to show the variation you may get depending on the nib.

On top of that there is the effect of the scanner. Every scanner, unless it is adjusted for proper colour representation, will give a different colour saturation. The same is true for a monitor.

Now if you look at both samples, you'll see that TNS's background is bright white, while the other is fairly dark. The first is a little too bright, very likely, and the second one is very likely too dark, resulting in a grey background colour, hence a blue-greyish colour for the ink.

Anyway, HTH, warm regards,Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Hi,

Dillon

My goodness! Is everyone in here a writer or an artist? I can barely use up pens and I have way too many of them.

The recipies for the DC Inks are identical as to aging color change I don't know. But they are all the same, the nib size, wetness of nib, paper all change colors and of course the type of scanner used!

Tim: The Music Pen Guy

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/images/pelikan_images/concerto.jpg

http://www.penmuseum.co.uk/images/pelog4.jpghttp://www.penmuseum.co.uk/images/pelog1.jpg

Pelikan Nest

Thanks for your input! I did finally decide to sell it away since I fell in love with the Aurora Blue and Waterman Florida Blue instead.

Loving the slightest purplish tint in these colors!

Hi,

Dillon

My goodness! Is everyone in here a writer or an artist? I can barely use up pens and I have way too many of them.

Hi,

I write a lot, so I have a few empty Private Reserve Bottles sitting around. Tell me if you want one. The downside of the bottles is that you can't get the last bit without a syringe. :bonk:

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Hi,

Dillon

Nope - takes me quite a while to go through a fill. I still haven't emptied a bottle of ink yet - of course, I keep changing inks and trying new colors :blink: .

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

I go through a bottle every 2 to 3 weeks

How come? If I work real hard, I have to refill pen every third day. How do you manage?

(Ask PR to sell you ink in quart bottles. Pelikan does that.)

Easy!! I manage by buying more ink!!! :lol: :lol:

I do a lot of writing thus I have to fill my pens often. I usually fill my Pelikan M1000 2 times a day on an average, when I write with it!!! I also have 2 Visconti Inkpots and I make sure they are filled to capacity. I should get a hold of the company and see if they can sell in bulk, that would be very nice!!! I Sell Pens.com has good prices on ink, so that enables me to really stock up!!!

TNS

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

• 1 year later...

The top image (unaltered by me) seemed to be artificially oversaturated.

The bottom image looks similar after some artificial oversaturation is added. :)

(perhaps both inks are similar) Seems to me to get color like these, your ink

would have to be highly radioactive.

Edit: Transfered images to FPN. imageshack didn't work :(

post-5044-1178376653_thumb.png

post-5044-1178376798_thumb.png

Edited by bossy

Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right

to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers,

and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie. Revelation 22:14-15