Who makes the best fountain pens today?

theblackpen

This is fairly easy to answer. The best of anything is the one that does the job how and when you want it at the cost you are prepared to pay for it. Once you have defined that, you will find the product.

More specific, I largely agree with William above. Parkers might be a bit boring in design bur very reliable and durable. There are however a lot of already mentioned brands that are equally advisable. Waterman, KaWeCo, Lamy, Pilot, Conklin, Pelikan, some of the budget Chinese like Kaigelu and Duke maybe, for a larger budget Conway Stewart, Sailor or Onoto. Too many brands and products to point out the universal perfect soldier for everyone all the time.

Edited by erpe

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blue_Moon

• Manalto

• Oldtimer

• The Blue Knight

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is fairly easy to answer. The best of anything is the one that does the job how and when you want it at the cost you are prepared to pay for it. Once you have defined that, you will find the product.

More specific, I largely agree with William above. Parkers might be a bit boring in design bur very reliable and durable. There are however a lot of already mentioned brands that are equally advisable. Waterman, KaWeCo, Lamy, Pilot, Conklin, Pelikan, some of the budget Chinese like Kaigelu and Duke maybe, for a larger budget Conway Stewart, Sailor or Onoto. Too many brands and products to point out the universal perfect soldier for everyone all the time.

I appreciate this reasoning, that context and intended function really do matter. For note-taking, I love my Pilot Custom 98 - smooth as silk on quality paper. For emphasis in a contrasting color (not highlighting), I go back and forth between a Lamy Safari with an XF nib, and any number of Pelikans and Viscontis - both low and high end. And just to have in my pocket for occasional use, I like both my Pilot Vanishing Point and a vintage Esterbrook J.

That said, the OP appeared interested in something a little more objective: quality craftsmanship (e.g., end caps that screw in correctly), out-of-the-box nib reliability, customer service, and so on. On these counts, I'm out of my depth: I've been quite lucky with my well-researched pen purchases, and so haven't had any issues with any brands.

Omas. They don't call their flagship the Paragon for no good reason :)

"Well, at least being into pens isn't a gross habit. Like smoking or whatever."

"Ahh, thanks?"

-My coworker Christine.

After a year of this all I can say is no brand has a 100% record at making good pens I imagine that all the brands mentioned here have examples of mistakes. That's what I keep finding I mean for example I've seen the QC of viscounti's is not what it should be. my M200 nib wasn't as smooth as it should have been. two of the 3 lamy nibs I have bough didn't write properly, some of the most recent Parker's are a ugly etc.

I'm sure this will continue.

After a year of this all I can say is no brand has a 100% record at making good pens I imagine that all the brands mentioned here have examples of mistakes.

This. You can get a bad pen from any company.

I'm surprised so few have mentioned Bexley and Edison. They're always at the top of the list for me. I also have a highly favorable impression of Pilot/Namiki.

I really think TWSBI could get into this club if they fully solve their problem with parts breaking. My Vac 700 is amazingly good, and they did send a replacement cap very quickly after I asked for it. :rolleyes:

There isn't really one best because each manufacturer has their strengths and weaknesses. For me, if I had to say one I would have to say Jinhao because they're consitant in quality at a very low price point, and that write smoothly too.

My best (overall) experience comes from Aurora pens. IMHO it is pretty hard to go wrong with (any) one of them…

Edited by Mckoulour

Κοίτα εκεί που θες να πας, αλλιώς...

...θα πας εκεί που κοιτάς.

Many of the best pens are compromised by the crappiest nibs, and vice versa.

No, I'm gonna edit this to say many of the potentially best pens are compromised by some crappy part on the pen. Some of these crappy things can be remedied, some cannot. So, to me, there's no "Best" fountain pen. Most all of them are compromises, generally speaking.

Edited by sotto2

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg

As folks have said, it is purely subjective. But from my venture into modern pens, I would say that Japan takes the cake when it comes to consistent quality.

...I would say that Japan takes the cake when it comes to consistent quality.

This is a true statement when it comes to many products outside of writing instruments, too. The Japanese take a lot of pride in their consistent quality.

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

For sheer writing performance page after page, day after day year after year, simplicity of design, and a great ink capacity, I can't imagine any pen better than my Pelikan 250 and my Pelikan M600.

That said Nakaya's reputation is tempting me to test other waters.

If someone would have been producing the "best" pen, this would have been the only pen sold in the market.

"best" in this kind of items is only a subjective opinion.

Hardly 1 ml C/C pens can not be among the best pen's. No way. Because there are more elegant and effective solutions for the ink supply.

One boring blue, one boring black 1mm thickness at most....

Then there are Fountain Pens with gorgeous permanent inks..

• 7 months later...

Who makes the best fountain pens today?

Brad Torelli. What he is capable of is absolutely amazing.

Fred

Edited by FredRydr

It is so true that this is a very subjective issue, as stated by many who posted to the thread in the summer of '14.

My best take-away from this exchange is that, in the face of declarations that fountain pens are a fading anachronism, there are lots of great choices in a very fun marketplace.

To maintain my enjoyment, I'm going to continue seeking "The Best."

D.C.

D.C. in PA - Always bitin' off more than I can chew.