Pelikan 4001 Violet

Ozzy

Elo,

Would it be unprofessional, if one just says he loves an ink, and then ends the review? I guess so.

Well, thanks to FPN for introducing me to the diverse world of inks, I wanted to try different inks. So I tried the Pelikan Brilliant Green that I have reviewed recently. I wanted to try another color. The options were very limited, and all I could find was the Pelikan 4001 Violet.

The violet – naturally – differs nothing from the other ones I've used, Blue-Black, and Brilliant Green.

Ink: Pelikan 4001 Violet.

Ink bottle. No inkwell. 30 ml.

Pen: Durabrite pen nibs (the kind you fix to a wooden quill/holder)

Wooden calligraphy pens of different sizes.

I had a bit of a hard time writing with them, so my handwriting is more terrible than usual. :headsmack:

Paper: Talens Sketch book; 120 gm paper.

Printer paper; 70 gm.

Drying: the drying is ok. As I said before, I'd like to call it Three Words Later. When I tried it on ordinary printer paper, it took longer than three words. When the calligraphy wooden pens were a little heavily dipped in the ink, it used to take longer to dry. Logical. On the sketching paper, things were ok.

Flow: the flow was good actually. I never really use those nibs or the calligraphy pens. But the ink behaved well with them. So I can imagine it would behave well with a normal fountain pen.

Smudging: on the sketching paper it doesn't smudge. On the printer paper, it smudged a little, only when I vigoursly wiped the letters with my finger, which is something we don't normally do, so I guess this is no problem. The ink doesn't bleed through either kind of paper.

Color: I hadn't tried it before. I was afraid it would turn out some kind of flashy bright violet. It suits my Deep Purple enthusiasm. It's dark, warm, and somehow intimate; this is why I felt I had to write a bossa nova love song with it. Too bad my handwriting isn't as romantic. It has interesting shading qualities evident especially when the nib is heavily dipped.

Now, I want to buy a new fountain pen, fill it up and use this ink!

End of line.

post-12420-1200924055_thumb.jpg

post-12420-1200924945_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ozzy

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh196/Adkawi/MyName2bluebackcrop.jpg

Current Pens;

Parker Frontier (Stainless Steel; chrome trim)

Parker Vaccumatic - Parker 51 (Mark II; two black, navy blue, burgundy) - Parker 21 - Parker 61

Sheaffer Balance (I think!) - Sheaffer Touchdown - Sheaffer Deskpens (Three)

Eversharp Deskpen

Sometime In The Future;

Parker Lattitude

Waterman Hemisphere

Caran D'Ache Dunas

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ozzy

• PenTieRun

• Tony the Tiger

• Gran

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ozzy, thanks for the review. This was one of the first bottled inks I ever bought (after finding the cartridge version running so very smooth in my dry writing Sensa Meridian), and I really enjoy the color. It looks like the perfect violet you would imagine a standard violet to have. Unfortunately, my bottle got contaminated and now it has this weird film on the surface. Not sure what I'm going to do with it, but I need to get this color back into my rotation.

Superb color and great ink! It, along with Waterman Purple and Diamine Imperial Purple, are some of my favorites. Thanks for the great review.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Elo,

Thanks guys. : ) well, i loaded some of it in a parker 51. and i'll translate my hand-writing:

"Elo, thanks for reading.

I loaded some of it in a Parker 51.

It's doing ok, so far. I have a feeling that I want to use a wider nib.

Then again, the somewhat fine nib of the 51 keeps the color subtle.

What do you think?! : )"

End of line.

post-12420-1200949811_thumb.jpg

Current Pens;

Parker Vaccumatic - Parker 51 (Mark II; two black, navy blue, burgundy) - Parker 21 - Parker 61

Eversharp Deskpen

Sometime In The Future;

Parker Lattitude

Waterman Hemisphere

Caran D'Ache Dunas

Thank you, I like this color, I've never seen an example of it before, at least not one as nice as yours. It seems to me a bit "bluer" than Waterman Purple and therefore I may be able to use it as an alternative to my regular blues. The Waterman Purple is a bit too brash for that. Thanks again!

Elo, thanks for reading : )

Well, i can see that you think its "bluer". well maybe. the colors in the scan do seem bluer than the actual paper. but this ink is cheap. so go ahead, buy it and try it out. i'm not familiar with the other inks. we don't have much option around here.

Current Pens;

Eversharp Deskpen

Sometime In The Future;

Parker Lattitude

Waterman Hemisphere

Caran D'Ache Dunas

Ozzy, thanks for doing this review. It was on my list of reviews to do, but now I can put the time into some other inks that have had no review and maybe do another of this one later on sometime. You have covered everything well. :) My ink looks like the color of ink showing at the top of your bottle in the photo. Sometimes scans can be very hard to adjust to look like the ink does on your paper.

Best, Ann

• 5 months later...

Does anyone happen to know how this ink acts in a Moleskine?

<span style='font-family: Georgia'><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'> Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith</strong></span><p><a href='http://www.biffybeans.com/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Blog: Spiritual Evolution of the Bean</a><p><a href='http://www.etsy.com/shop/biffybeans?ref=si_shop' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Purchase Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith's Original Art on Etsy</a>

It's fine, Biffy. I use it a lot in both the Reporter and the Cahier models.

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

• 6 months later...

I now have some Pelikan violet and am enjoying it. I find it a cheery violet!

May you have pens you enjoy, with plenty of paper and ink. :)

Please use only my FPN name "Gran" in your posts. Thanks very much!

• 3 weeks later...

I suppose this ink would be safe to use inside a Pelikan M800 clear demonstrator? (as in not staining the inside of the barrel?) With that thought in mind, how would this ink compare to Waterman Purple (which I already have and really like), considering staining propensity?

Edited by Tony the Tiger

CURRENT STABLE:

(2) Danitrio Tac Carry II / Xezo Architect / (2)(1920's era) Redipoint Flex / Libelle Vortex / Orange LE Pilot VP/ Mont Blanc Classique 144 / Dunhill Sidecar / Pilot 823 Clear Demonstrator / TWSBI 580 / Stipula Passaporto LE / Kaweco Sport WISH LIST:

MB Boheme / Platinum Hammered Sterling Silver / Pelikan M800 (clear demo) / Stipula Da Vinci / Visconti Opera Master / Delta Dolcevita Federico Oversize / Franklin-Cristoph 19 / Franklin-Christoph Model 25 w/ Masuyama nib

I suppose this ink would be safe to use inside a Pelikan M800 clear demonstrator? (as in not staining the inside of the barrel?) With that thought in mind, how would this ink compare to Waterman Purple (which I already have and really like), considering staining propensity?

The Pelikan ink is lighter than the Waterman according to my personal swabs. Pelikan is still a very nice violet, but if you like the dark, solid purple of the Waterman, then I'd stick with it.

The Pelikan ink is lighter than the Waterman according to my personal swabs. Pelikan is still a very nice violet, but if you like the dark, solid purple of the Waterman, then I'd stick with it.

Thanks buddy. Like I said, I really like the Waterman Purple, and I hope to get the aforementioned pen very soon. I just don't want any discoloration to mar the pristine look of this pen.

CURRENT STABLE:

(2) Danitrio Tac Carry II / Xezo Architect / (2)(1920's era) Redipoint Flex / Libelle Vortex / Orange LE Pilot VP/ Mont Blanc Classique 144 / Dunhill Sidecar / Pilot 823 Clear Demonstrator / TWSBI 580 / Stipula Passaporto LE / Kaweco Sport WISH LIST:

MB Boheme / Platinum Hammered Sterling Silver / Pelikan M800 (clear demo) / Stipula Da Vinci / Visconti Opera Master / Delta Dolcevita Federico Oversize / Franklin-Cristoph 19 / Franklin-Christoph Model 25 w/ Masuyama nib

Thanks for the review! I quite enjoy this ink. It was my first venture into colorful inks. I liked it so much, I tried a few more Pelikan inks.

Edited by Gran

May you have pens you enjoy, with plenty of paper and ink. :)

Please use only my FPN name "Gran" in your posts. Thanks very much!

• 7 years later...

Thank you for your review. I charged my Parker '61, quite a bronco, with this ink and enjoy it very much. Is deep, and somehow feminine for my taste, but great for short paragraphs.