waterman black

georges zaslavsky

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/georges2/pens%20%20and%20pen%20reviews/blackcolorreview.jpg

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• georges zaslavsky

• CharlieB

• RayMan

• Sholom

I have to agree--Waterman black is my black of choice, a greatly underappreciated ink. It is probably not as darkly intense as Aurora black, but it is good enough and as you say it is problem-free, flowing well and causing no problems. Long live Waterman black!

Thanks for this review. I love Black Quink and was thinking of trying Waterman Black.

Watermans Flex Club & Sheaffer Lifetime Society Member

Waterman Black is a good ink. When I purchased my 2005 Omas Paragon two years ago, Fahrney's gave me a bottle of Waterman Black in addition to the Omas Black that came in the box. I used the Waterman Black to load up a Danitrio Mikado eyedropper that I had just purchased from Kevin Cheng. Needless to say, the ink stayed in the pen for months, as these pens hold gallons of ink. The ink performed flawlessly during the entire time. I recommend it highly.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

Georges Z,

Nice review. I agree that Waterman black belongs in every ink collection. It is always well behaved in whatever pen you may select, and black ink is never inappropriate.

Hope to see more of your reviews,

Regards,

Wade

Sending with regards (my 73s)

Wade

KG4KAH

It works great in every pen I own. Other inks have been headaches, but never Waterman. :thumbup:

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Waterman Black is very good, yes, depending on the quality of the paper one is writing on. I agree that the behavior in pens, the price, and the worldwide availability are all excellent. The bottle even has a practical shape for getting the last drops of ink into one's pen.

I've heard that good paper is easier to find in France than in the USA :happyberet: , and I am happy for the French on that account :thumbup: . Good paper can be found in many stores here in southern California, even at reasonable prices, but one must shop specifically with fountain pen writing in mind. Most purchasing managers of offices, copy shops, schools, colleges and libraries around here do not shop that specifically :rolleyes: .

On the mediocre and bad paper I often get stuck with, Waterman Black is for writing on one side only. It behaves better than Namiki Black on such paper but not as well as some other black inks.

Waterman Black *is* exceptionally well-behaved everywhere I've used it. It's absolutely my favorite grey ink!

(yes, backhanded jab, but I really mean it about it being well-behaved. It's a terrific ink, just not at all dark)

Who are the pen shops in your neighborhood? Find out or tell us where they are, at http://penshops.info/

Blog: http://splicer.com/

• 3 weeks later...

I would like Waterman black better if it would dry a little quicker.

I find that when writing on HP premium 34lb laser paper that the last several lines remain smear wet with a Hero 100 fine point pen.

I also find Noodler Lexington Grey to be my favorite grey ink.

Edited by tspin46

Is the ink yall are talking about the same as ' encre noire ' ?

If yes, it is certainly well behaved and smooth in the pens I have tried it in.

SAVE your important PM's before Nov 26 to your computer, otherwise they are "GONE" !!!!

• 11 months later...

This all sounds encouraging for when I fit my first cartridges to my Carene. Just have to get off my Hemisphere with its Noodler's Blue for long enough :happyberet:

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

I've got a bottle of Waterman black which I haven't used it for a while. Thanks for reminding me what a nice ink this is. I'm going to start using it again.

Regards,

Ray

Has anyone compared Waterman Black to Aurora Black (which is currently my black of choice)? I routinely use two Waterman inks (Havana Brown and Red) and like them so I would consider a switch if I thought there was a good reason for it.

Waterman blue is excellent. I love it. Waterman red is also very nice. Waterman black, however, is NOT BLACK. It's like a light grey. I can make the same ink by sticking my nib into a sewer and filling my converter with the sewer water (OUCH so harsh, I know :D). If you want to replicate it take some J. Herbin Black (the watery kind) and mix it with distilled water in a 1:10 ratio (ink to water). It will have the great flow but terrible colour of Waterman black. That is my rant :)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I think Pelikan Brilliant Black and Aurora Black are both darker and flow well - Aurora better than the Pelikan by a nose. Therefore, I have not tried Waterman Black. (The one Waterman I can't live without is Violet. It is consistently one of my most-used inks. I also like South Seas Blue for a Turquoise.)

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

• 1 month later...
Has anyone compared Waterman Black to Aurora Black (which is currently my black of choice)? I routinely use two Waterman inks (Havana Brown and Red) and like them so I would consider a switch if I thought there was a good reason for it.

I honestly think you would be disapointed. If you like Aurora, you will probably find the Waterman wishy washy grey.

I find Waterman Black to be too grayish, especially when compared to Aurora Black and Pelikan Black. However, it behaves so well, I trust it absolutely in pens that I want to protect, such as my Danitrio Mikado.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

I don't do black ink much and haven't gotten to try the Aurora or Noodler's blacks, but while I've always preferred the look of the Pelikan blacks (Brilliant and Fount India), Waterman black remains my go to black ink. The reason is that its "open time" is much better than the Pelikan blacks, i.e. with Waterman, I can leave the cap off even my dry writing Osmiroids for several minutes (like jotting note in meetings or thinking while writing) and the pen will start up immediately. I don't see "open time" discussed much here, but there is wide variation in this property among inks.

Sholom

Having used Waterman's, Cross/Pelikan, & Aurora black in my Waterman Phileas (M-nib), there's a reason they're listed in that order. The Waterman's simply wasn't black enough for my taste, although for someone who likes a lot of shading I think it would be ideal, since the darkness of the line varies enormously based upon the speed the nib moves across the paper.

I liked the colour of the Pelikan, but I didn't think it had flow properties as good… on the other hand, that may have been the mold. :bonk: Aurora black has "brilliance" comparable to Pelikan, but is as kind to the pen as Waterman's. I'm using it now in a Parker 45 with fine nib, & it lays down a nice bold black line, which I rather suspect the Waterman's would not.