36 replies to this topic

#1 cecirdr

cecirdr

Who? Me?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 22:40

There has been a fairly recent review of the Serenite that was very well done. So I don't plan to try to duplicate what was already said....and the pictures in the previous review were stellar. What I do want to do is give anyone who's interested in this pen something to go one about how it writes and what it's like to hold. Please pardon any misspellings, punctuation errors, and scratch outs in my sample. :blush:

Posted Image

What you can't tell in the sample is that I find the pen to be well balanced. Normally, I don't' post the cap on my pens, but I feel confident to do that with the serenite. It doesn't make it too top heavy, plus it snaps onto a recessed spot on the top of the pen so I don't worry about scratches.

The pen is a statement in style. I find it's simplicity to be classy. The nib is rather spartan and squat...in keeping with the style theme. It looks perfectly like something one would tie onto the end of a stick....in keeping with the arrow/spear theme it appears the pen is trying to emulate. How in the world they came up with the name serenite when the pen is supposed to emulate a stylized arrow....I don't know. Seems ironic to me.

The pen is smaller in diameter than my danitrio tamenuri, but the decorative grip section is flared out where you actually hold the pen. Therefore, I find the serenite to be the same gripping diameter as the tamenuri (non-ED sized pen) and you can probably see the same thing in these two rather blase pictures. The stylized finger grip allows for a nice touch when unscrewing the main section for refilling the converter or popping in another cart. I don't know how to describe it, but the mechanism is a nice touch. Anyway...here's the size pix.

Here's the serenite
Posted Image

And here's the Dani-trio tamenuri
Posted Image

I'm very happy with this purchase and intend to use this in my daily cycle of pens. I liked the concept of a stylized pen, plus I heard that they planned to drop the black version from production. The new blue serenite just didn't appeal to me the same way, so I figured I'd better pony up and get a black one while I could.

BTW...in my pix, you can see (blurry) our campground here on the Oregon coast. A storm is set to come in tonight....50-60mph winds. Right now, all is quiet. But I'm set. The slides are in on the rig and we're ready for the blowin. I've got popcorn. Bring it on!

Ceci

Edited by MYU, 05 June 2009 - 18:45.

I am, therefore I think.

#2 Stylo

Stylo

Polisson

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 22:56

Thanks for the review. Just a note about the paper though: it has been a long time since I have used a Cambridge pad, but from what I recall, I have not been very fond of them. For Staples style office supply store paper, you may be happier with Ampad Gold Fibre pads.

Edited by Stylo, 02 November 2005 - 23:39.

#3 cecirdr

cecirdr

Who? Me?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 23:15

Thanks for the review.  Just a note about the paper though: it has been a long time since I have used a Cambridge pad, but from what I recall, I have not been very fond of them.  For Staples style office supply stores paper, you may be happier with Ampad Gold Fibre pads.

I don't know if they changed their paper process. ??? But I was shocked at how good the cambridge paper is working for me. The back of the paper my writing sample is on is totally white...no bleed through at all....not even at the scratch out. This serenite writes WET too. I also never have a feathering issue with the mead cambridge paper. I even use an italic nib on occasion...still no feathering.

I'm still "testing" though. Right now my only cambridge notebook is a small one for miscellaneous jottings....not for journaling. I am seriously considering it for my next journal when I finish the one I'm writing in now.

Ceci
I am, therefore I think.

#4 Roger

Roger

FILCAO's Columbia. Photo:www.tryphon.it

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 00:48

Great job, Ceci!

Boy, there's a wet feed and beautifully consistent writing that TNS could get his teeth into. :P

I, too, had no idea that the Cambridge pads were so good with ink. Have to check them out next time I make the 25 mile trek to Tucson. :)

Keep on enjoying. :D
Roger
Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

#5 southpaw

southpaw

Museum Piece

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,056 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 02:57

Thanks for the review. Always good to get multiple views on pens. It's certainly unique. Enjoy!!!
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

#6 Slush99

Slush99

FullMetal

• Member - Gold

• 1,579 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 03:04

Thanks for the review. Nice handwriting, compared to mine. :lol: I didn't know those pads were so good. :huh:
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.

Begun, the Spam Wars Have.
How to Be a Perfect Lady: according to the media - a satire
The Adventures of Chewie

#7 southpaw

southpaw

Museum Piece

• Premium - Emerald

• 5,056 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 03:16

Forgot to mention that, as I was reading various posts, I was writing some study notes for an exam with a fairly wet writing medium nibbed Aurora Ipsilon filled with Noodlers Black on . . . . you guessed it, a Cambridge Limited pad from Staples. Works great and, as Ceci said, no bleed through on mine. I have two - one in 11.5" x 8.5" and one 9" x 6", both reporter style (easier for us lefties - the binding on regular spiral notebooks gets in the way too much).
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

#8 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,453 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 03:28

Hi,

Now that is one nice pen!! Not one pen I could use though because of its girth. :(

Dillon

Sheaffer Lady and Parker Falcon fs
Apple Macbook owners, please read!
HP/RPN fellowship

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Dillon

#9 Guest_Denis Richard_*

Guest_Denis Richard_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2005 - 03:53

Nice review Ceci. Glad to see a new Sérénité convert :D

#10 tooloose-letrek

tooloose-letrek

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 12:31

Pam Braun is a wonderful business person. I've bought many pens from her. I don't mean to slight other pen sellers in any way, but when you cited your source, I just felt compelled to toss that in.

#11 cecirdr

cecirdr

Who? Me?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 15:32

Ok...I'm slow...how do you get the accent marks over the es in serenite?

Thanks.....BTW....it's your "fault" I have my new pen. Your review of it and the accompanying pictures pushed me over the edge. :lol:

Ceci
I am, therefore I think.

#12 cecirdr

cecirdr

Who? Me?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 15:39

Hi,

Now that is one nice pen!! Not one pen I could use though because of its girth. :(

Dillon

I admit...I just took a chance when I bought my tamenuri from Kevin. Due to the light weight, it's no problem to write with...the serenite is the same in that regard. The danitrio pens are so hot (as in popular) right now, there should be little risk in buying one if you wanted to. Just sell it if it doens't work out.

FWIW...I do find my serenity nib a tad bit smoother than my tamenuri's. But smoothness is an easy touch up....well at least for you it would be. On the other hand, the tamenuri is flexy feeling...nice feedback as you write.

Ceci

Edited by cecirdr, 03 November 2005 - 15:41.

I am, therefore I think.

#13 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,453 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 16:42

Hi,

My maximum size of grip is that of the Pelikan M200. It is impossible for me to use anything bigger. I already gave my Phileas to Slush and traded my Stypen with Gerry. I would have to hold the nib if I were to use those pens. Weight is not really a problem since I use pens that are 0.7 OZ (As measured in the post office). I just run out of control on fatter pens.

That Serenite looks nice. Is the nib gold and the feed ebonite?

Dillon

HP/RPN fellowship

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Dillon

#14 cecirdr

cecirdr

Who? Me?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 17:47

Hi,

My maximum size of grip is that of the Pelikan M200. It is impossible for me to use anything bigger. I would have to hold the nib if I were to use those pens. Weight is not really a problem since I use pens that are 0.7 OZ (As measured in the post office). I just run out of control on fatter pens.

Dillon

Yeah...18K gold nib (but plated with that silver stuff...what is it...rhodium?) and ebonite feed... Too bad about the grip diameter. I have several M200s and the grip is definitely larger than them.

Ceci
I am, therefore I think.

#15 Slush99

Slush99

FullMetal

• Member - Gold

• 1,579 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 17:47

Hi,

My maximum size of grip is that of the Pelikan M200. It is impossible for me to use anything bigger. I already gave my Phileas to Slush and traded my Stypen with Gerry. I would have to hold the nib if I were to use those pens. Weight is not really a problem since I use pens that are 0.7 OZ (As measured in the post office). I just run out of control on fatter pens.

Dillon

I love :wub: fat pens. Bic stic hurts! :angry:
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.

Begun, the Spam Wars Have.
How to Be a Perfect Lady: according to the media - a satire
The Adventures of Chewie

#16 Guest_Denis Richard_*

Guest_Denis Richard_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2005 - 18:12

Ok...I'm slow...how do you get the accent marks over the es in serenite?

Thanks.....BTW....it's your "fault" I have my new pen. Your review of it and the accompanying pictures pushed me over the edge. :lol:

Ceci

Hi Ceci,

I decline any financial liability :D

To get the é, I have a little toolbar under Linux Fedora with a customized list of special characters. I have sometimes copied and pasted from web pages also. But under windows, you can use the ASCII codes (<Alt> + code, keep <Alt> pressed, and the code for the é is 130).

#17 Titivillus

Titivillus

Museum Piece

• Away
  • 9,881 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 18:33

Hi,

My maximum size of grip is that of the Pelikan M200. It is impossible for me to use anything bigger. I would have to hold the nib if I were to use those pens. Weight is not really a problem since I use pens that are 0.7 OZ (As measured in the post office). I just run out of control on fatter pens.

Dillon

Yeah...18K gold nib (but plated with that silver stuff...what is it...rhodium?) and ebonite feed... Too bad about the grip diameter. I have several M200s and the grip is definitely larger than them.

Ceci

I'm curious about the ebonite feed does it look to be hand carved or injection molded? I ask this because all of my Waterman's look to have molded feeds.

Kurt H

Edited by Tytyvyllus, 03 November 2005 - 18:34.

#18 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,453 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 19:01

Hi,

Ebonite feeds will look like they were cut or milled to shape.

Dillon

HP/RPN fellowship

Dillon

#19 Titivillus

Titivillus

Museum Piece

• Away
  • 9,881 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 19:06

Hi,

Dillon

That's what I implied as you can't injection mold ebonite but it must be machined.

Kurt H

#20 cecirdr

cecirdr

Who? Me?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 19:24

Hi,

Dillon

That's what I implied as you can't injection mold ebonite but it must be machined.

Kurt H

Interesting....it may be my being new to pendom. But to me the feed from my serenite looks like a block that got carved. Then again...it may just be how I "see things" and not reality at all. I tend to view most all objects as sculpted. I just can't wrap my head around molded/poured. Denis may have to chime in an correct me. So...sorry that I can't answer the question accurately. I'll await further clarification. :blush:

<edit>

I stand corrected. I dried my feed off and noticed a F on the underside. (it was too wet to see it earlier) I seriously doubt a carved/milled block of ebonite would sport this "feature"

live and learn

Ceci

Edited by cecirdr, 03 November 2005 - 19:31.

I am, therefore I think.

#21 Stylo

Stylo

Polisson

• Moderators

• 2,999 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 22:03

Ceci, to get anny accent, you can follow Denis' wise advise, or if you are super lazy like me, you just first do a google search, then copy and paste the properly accented word B)

#22 cecirdr

cecirdr

Who? Me?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 17:01

Ceci, to get anny accent, you can follow Denis' wise advise, or if you are super lazy like me, you just first do a google search, then copy and paste the properly accented word  B)

I tried holding the alt key and using 130...but it didn't do anything but make a thonk sound at me. :bonk: I guess I should just open up another tab with a google search in it from now on so I can copy-paste. Or...I can continue to do what I do presently and just assume everyone "knows what I mean". Ah well.....I"m feeling kinda slow lately and making lots of mistakes too. Something weird must be in the water. But at least I still remember how to tie my shoes! :lol:

Ceci
I am, therefore I think.

#23 Roger

Roger

FILCAO's Columbia. Photo:www.tryphon.it

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 17:39

I tried holding the alt key and using 130...but it didn't do anything but make a thonk sound at me. :bonk:

Ceci - You must have NumLock active for it to work. Hit your NumLock key one time, then try the Alt 130 again.
Roger
Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

#24 Stylo

Stylo

Polisson

• Moderators

• 2,999 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 18:17

Or...I can continue to do what I do presently and just assume everyone "knows what I mean".

Come to think of it, that's what I usually do anway (quel horreur!). I am lazier than I thought :lol:

#25 Louis R

Louis R

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 19:12

For accents, I adopted the US international keyboard. Over 60% of my writing is in English. All French and Spanish accented letters are easily available. The only small annoyance is the quotes. This provides me with a faily complete keyboard, with no need to remember letter values. The only missing characters are the opening ? and ! for spanish, which I do without.

Edited by Louis R, 04 November 2005 - 19:19.

Louis

#26 Guest_Denis Richard_*

Guest_Denis Richard_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2005 - 21:22

I tried holding the alt  key and using 130...but it didn't do anything but make a thonk sound at me. :bonk:

Ceci - You must have NumLock active for it to work. Hit your NumLock key one time, then try the Alt 130 again.

Yes, I forgot to precise that the numbers have to be typed on the numeric pad.

For those with Gnome, here is a pic of the little toolbar applet that lets you define any set of special characters. Click on one, and it is stored in the clipboard. Just need to paste where needed.

Attached Images

• Screenshot.png

#27 tooloose-letrek

tooloose-letrek

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 22:50

it has been a long time since I have used a Cambridge pad, but from what I recall, I have not been very fond of them.

I was at Office Depot yesterday and they had quite a few different styles of Mead Cambridge. When you talk about a 'pad' of this paper, can you be a bit more descriptive of what you mean? If you have one handy, please post the model number.

Thanks.

#28 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,453 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 05:23

Hi,

Mead Cambridge paper is always very thick and nice to write on. I believe it comes in Ivory and White. I remember seeing the pads, but I don't know what size or paper color will suit your taste.

Dillon

HP/RPN fellowship

Dillon

#29 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,453 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 07:03

Hi,
I felt that I needed to link this all together
Denis Richard's Question
http://www.fountainp...p?showtopic=921
Denis Richard's Review
http://www.fountainp...?showtopic=2006
Sharyn's Announcement--With Denis' replies
http://www.ramblings...?showtopic=1318

Dillon

HP/RPN fellowship

Dillon

#30 Maja

Maja

Fan of colourful pens

• Admin Hon.

• 6,285 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 November 2005 - 09:13

Really nice review, ceci! I love the close-up photos of the pens "in hand". That blurry background effect lends a nice "artistic" touch, too :)
Vancouver (B.C) Pen Club (our website)