Noodler’s Apache Sunset

alexanderino

Australia has been experiencing a drought of select Noodler’s inks, Apache Sunset included. Eight torturous months passed before I laid hands on my own bottle. Was the wait worth it? Of course! What a gorgeous ink it is :wub:

Its behavioural characteristics are enchanting. As one writes, a miniscule comet’s tail of ink chases the nib and forms a pool where the pen is lifted off the paper; thus, printing each letter from top to bottom gives a delicious ‘sunset’ gradient (as befits its name). A wet flow and not-too-absorbent paper are ideal for maximum shading contrast; surprisingly, wider nibs may not be the best choice for this purpose.

My Pilot Elite [EF nib] and Lamy Safari [1.1 mm italic nib] are currently filled up with this delicious ink. The Elite does it greater justice with its ultra-thin line and generous flow, delivering a more contrasty ‘sunset’ that never fails to elicit comments from onlookers [yes, this ink has a growing fan club ;) ].

Attached is a photo of a carelessly written sample written with the Safari on a Cartier test pad. As you can see, the rapidly scribbled cursive has less prominent shading:

post-6440-1198965541_thumb.jpg

Time and patience, properly invested, will reap rich dividends out of this mesmerising golden liquid. Noodler’s has yet another winner with Apache Sunset.

[P.S.: the above image may be removed when I attach a better-written sample in a later post to this thread.]

Edited by alexanderino

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alexanderino

• Maja

• Scrawler

• JimB

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, that's yummy... I'd heard that Apache Sunset has lovely shading characteristics, but :puddle: It also makes me miss my Lamy 1.1 nib, which I seem to have carelessly misplaced... I'm curious to see a sample written with your Elite, also! I guess my one concern is that this falls under the category of somewhat impractical inks... I don't know how much usage I would get out of it, considering that it's not really a work-appropriate ink, and dang, those Noodler's bottles are big! :roflmho:

Edited by goldkiwi

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/4619/inkxchangemm0.png Currently out of vials.my ink list

Ink of the moment: mix of Noodler's Lermontov, Britannia's Blue Waves, and Whiteness of the Whale

Hi goldkiwi, glad to hear you’ve fallen for it ;)

While Apache Sunset is not a general purpose ink, it can be mixed with others to produce some amazing hues — for instance, my other Lamy [med. nib] has Apache Sunset and Ottoman Azure in roughly equal quantities, and the result is a sumptuous shade of teal. Since it is so light, it can also constitute a bigger portion of the mix [especially . My next version of AS with Diamine Monaco Red will be closer to 75:25 rather than 30:70 [not very different from unadulterated DMR].

I will attach a sample written with the Elite and the Lamy M in about 12 hours.

Apache Sunset is a *great* ink....very different from any other ink I own or have seen.

It looks great on paper but when I first opened the bottle, I thought it looked like tincture of iodine :o

Thanks for the review, alexanderino----you really show off its unique characteristics! :thumbup:

Thanks for the review, alexanderino. Apache Sunset tends to run inexplicably dry. I put a drop of dish washing detergent into the bottle, and it sorted out the initial flow problems that I was having... As far as Apache Sunset being impractical or inappropriate for "work-related" documents, it's one of the inks I use for editing. The way I see it, the happy color adds a bit of sunshine to everything it touches... :)

Edited by girlieg33k

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

Apache Sunset is a *great* ink....very different from any other ink I own or have seen.

It looks great on paper but when I first opened the bottle, I thought it looked like tincture of iodine :o

How well did it work on cuts? :ltcapd:

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Thanks for the review, alexanderino----you really show off its unique characteristics! :thumbup:

Thanks for the review, alexanderino. Apache Sunset tends to run inexplicably dry.

Exactly what I felt when I laid my Lamy 1.1 to paper. Also, try a fine or extra-fine nib. They may be more conducive to free flow. And your ‘happy bit of sunshine’ description is spot-on :)

BTW, so much for the 12-hour pic. Work was too hectic to write a sample, and I’m a bit too inebriated to rectify the situation :rolleyes: Not to worry, I will get around to it ;)

Edited by alexanderino

I have had this ink for a long time and really love the color but now you've inspired me to mix it with another color and see what I can create..... :)

How well did it work on cuts? :ltcapd:

Didn't try it....but just using a fountain pen seems to provide some healing power at times... :cloud9:

I love this color! My fountain pen is too dry for any shading to show up, rather it looks light orange, but I use this with my dip pens all the time, particularly my Esterbrook #442 Jackson stub. It's a fascinating ink, for sure! It makes me want to write pages and pages just to see the way it shades.

I haven't had much luck mixing this with other colors. I always seem to get something that looks like ketchup and mustard mixed together and dried. But then again, I don't have a particularly large stable of ink just yet.

Thanks so much for the review. I haven't been able to put my Apache Sunset to much good use by itself (usually too light), and now I can see why: most of my F and EF nibs are not really wet writers, and I almost always write in cursive. Your sample with the beautiful shading just gave me the idea to load it in my Cross and then print to see if I can get this effect. I am going to try it on this parchment-type paper I have. This ink really can mix beautifully with other colors. I've made some gorgeous greens and oranges from it. :thumbup:

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Attached is a photo of a carelessly written sample written with the Safari on a Cartier test pad. As you can see, the rapidly scribbled cursive has less prominent shading:

post-6440-1198965541_thumb.jpg

Time and patience, properly invested, will reap rich dividends out of this mesmerising golden liquid. Noodler’s has yet another winner with Apache Sunset.

I had ordered a sample of Apache Sunset, loaded my pen with a medium CI nib, and used it on a Sustainable Earth Comp book with poor results. Ditto for a white legal pad. When I saw this and read your note that it works best on glossy paper, I tried my Rhodia spiral steno pad and Wow! what a difference. This ink needs glossy paper, and probably a flex nib, although even the CI nib does the trick. Thank you for the tip!

Edited by januaryman

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

I particularly like this ink, and have used it to entice some of my nieces into using fountain pens. I find it works best with a little flex.

I love this ink too. I wasn't too interested in orange or yellow inks, but after joining this network and seeing the reviews, I had to try it and fell in love with it. Currently have an Ahab inked with it and the shading is absolutely terrific. Will make a fantastic autumn color.