How do you get ink off your fingers?

BklynWriter

A quick handwash and then leaving the remaining color to fade with time and subsequent washings. I'd have it no other way :)

Folks at the office know that I'm a FP-user so they figure it just "me-being-me" and shrug-off my inkstained fingers. Even as I type this, I just looked and my left-hand's thumb and forefinger are inkstained from re-priming some pens that have been resting (left home) while I traveled about this past week.

Cheers,

Paul

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~ Oscar Wilde, 1888

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oneill

• fncll

• Cryptos

• FOUR X FOUR

I use soap and water and a pumice stone, which work very well together. Most of the time a light rub with the stone is enough, but sometimes if I was very enthusiastic with the ink, a bit more pressure is helpful if it isn't in a place with delicate skin (i.e. cuticles).

• 2 years later...

I found that the best way to remove ink is to apply some dish washer soap, I use Ajax, and use the scrubbing side of a normal sponge. Just scrub the inked spot on the sponge and the majority of it comes out.

A very tiny sprinkle of dry dishwasher detergent on wet hands. The abrasiveness of the powder plus the detergent power works pretty well.

Yup...that's also working for motor oil, paint and other such stuff -- don't forget a good hydrating creme afterwards, though, as dishwasher detergent is hard on the skin....

A very tiny sprinkle of dry dishwasher detergent on wet hands. The abrasiveness of the powder plus the detergent power works pretty well.

Yup...that's also working for motor oil, paint and other such stuff -- don't forget a good hydrating creme afterwards, though, as dishwasher detergent is hard on the skin....

I use a spoonful of sugar and washing up liquid for oil, grease, ink and the like, 'tis a bit kinder on the hands and jolly good.

Pip-pip!

Cordialement.

R.J.E.

Ink Nix does a good job but the smell is terrible (like very strong, cheap cologne from the 1970s).

There's always another option... You're a fountain pen enthusiast, don't bother washing it off -- wear it with pride!!

:thumbup:

Edited by inkyindi

Alcohol 70% is a good ink cleaner, mainly is easy to clear Noodler's Baystate Blue off fingers and sink.

Edited by fabrimedeiros

straight dish soap is my go-to for hands and clothing, followed by rubbing alcohol. If I can't wash immediately, Canadian Tire sells a citrus/pumice hand cleaner that will work on just about anything.

Pelikan 120 : Lamy 2000 : Sheaffer PFM III : Parker DuoFold Jr : Hero 239 : Pilot Vanishing Point : Danitrio Cum Laude : Esterbrook LJ : Waterman's 12 and an unknown lever-filler : Lambert Drop-fill : Conway Stewart 388

MB Racing Green : Diamine Sapphire Blue , Registrar's : J. Herbin violet pensée , café des îles : Noodler's Baystate Blue : Waterman Purple, Florida Blue

I don't. They look better with ink on them.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I don't. They look better with ink on them.

Mike

I like it! :D

I usually just wash my hands and then wait for it to come off in time. I haven't experimented with many things because ink stained fingers don't really bother me.

Unwittingly, I discovered that bug repellant will remove just about anything that stains one's hands/fingers: ink, beets, pomegranates, berries, and so forth.

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

Lush solid shampoos. And when you're not getting ink off your hands, they will take care of your hair for quite a few months. My current fave is Godiva.

John

I do remember someone said they used shampoo to remove ink from their fingers. That doesn't seem to be working for me.

What are your home remedies from removing ink (Noodlers & Private Reserve) from skin?

Thanks!

deb

Chlorox bleach or household ammonia work for me

b

That doesn't look like Penman....who itrm would send that wo safeguarding it's in flight health?

If you don't want to leave any "fingerprints"... at the scene of the crime...might I suggest an organic acid....JUST KIDDING ***DON"T DO THAT!

You should have donned disposable gloves...aye.

Edited by SnowLeopard

• 1 year later...

I am cringing when I read some of these responses but what can I say, I'm a lady who hates to get dry hands.

On a hunch I tried Roux Color Touch haircolor remover (I was a beauty school drop-out and know about this stuff ;-) It works BEAUTIFULLY without drying out my hands! If any men are brave enough to try it, it's on Amazon, $4 a bottle that will last you forever.

Either write things worth reading about - or do things worth writing about.

There's always another option... You're a fountain pen enthusiast, don't bother washing it off -- <b><i>wear it with pride!!</i></b>

:thumbup:

Yup! :thumbup: :thumbup:

JLT (J. L. Trasancos, Barneveld, NY)

"People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest."

Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962)