66 replies to this topic

#1 BklynWriter

BklynWriter

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 00:56

I do remember someone said they used shampoo to remove ink from their fingers. That doesn't seem to be working for me.

What are your home remedies from removing ink (Noodlers & Private Reserve) from skin?

Thanks!

deb
Posted Image

#2 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:04

Alcohol prep pads if dish detergent doesn't work. Lemon rinds bleach nicely too if you happen to be slicing citrus and your fingers smell nice. thumbup.gif

#3 Shelley

Shelley

iPen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:08

shampoo, warm water and something to rub it against (hair) works damn well!
best to remove suit first though...
Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

#4 pmsalty

pmsalty

shamus

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2007 - 02:02

QUOTE(BklynWriter @ Dec 19 2007, 04:56 PM)  
I do remember someone said they used shampoo to remove ink from their fingers. That doesn't seem to be working for me.

What are your home remedies from removing ink (Noodlers & Private Reserve) from skin?

Thanks!

deb

I use liquid soap and and the rough side of a scrub sponge. It works every time!
PMS
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

#5 pakmanpony

pakmanpony

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,187 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2007 - 02:07

I use a bar of Lava soap, takes it off faster and more completely than anything else I have tried.

#6 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• 2,939 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2007 - 02:35

My NOS bottle of Penman Sapphire arrived the other day. Unfortunately, the air pressure gods in the 'plane were not kind, and it leaked. Not enough to be significant, but enough to have this result ---
[attachment=17594:BlueHand.jpg]
Penman Sapphire is such a pretty blue, isn't it?
I used Windex (mild alkali - ammonia??) followed by several hand-washings with a lemon-flavoured liquid hand soap, and that got rid of much of the ink.
BTW, I service large format HP printers (the two metre kind) for a living, and I often come home with my hands a lovely shade of grey/black, the colour you get when you mix all six colours on your hands. The ink doesn't come off until the next shower, so it seems that the ultimate fix is hot water, soap, shampoo and several minutes of washing.

Posted Image

#7 juhtolv

juhtolv

The Nerd in Black

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2007 - 02:49

QUOTE(BklynWriter @ Dec 20 2007, 02:56 AM)  

It seems my liquid soap that is made of flax seed oil removes ink a little bit better than other liquid soaps. I have also heard that dish washing machine powder removes ink from hands easily.

Juhapekka “naula” TOLVANEN * The Nerd in Black * http://iki.fi/juhtolv
ユハペッカ・「ナウラ」・トルワネン
黒服のナード

#8 Kalessin

Kalessin

Antique

• Moderators

• 1,651 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 03:15

There's always another option... You're a fountain pen enthusiast, don't bother washing it off -- wear it with pride!! cool.gif

Edited by Kalessin, 20 December 2007 - 03:15.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,
chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.
(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

#9 Goodwhiskers

Goodwhiskers

Certified language nut

• Member - Gold

• 2,117 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:47

Ink Nix takes saturated inks (Levenger, Noodler's waterproof and non-waterproof) off of my skin and out of my sink faster and more thoroughly than Amodex does.

Ink Nix also takes more skin oils with it than Amodex does. That's probably why Ink Nix works better on skin. If you buy Ink Nix, don't keep it in that not-very-airtight bottle.

Conversely, Amodex takes both more-saturated and less-saturated inks out of fabrics just fine.

#10 lmederos

lmederos

got ink?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:36

Comet

better than anything else.
Posted Image

-- Luis

#11 Shangas

Shangas

Sealing wax and other fancy stuff...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,962 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:28

I constantly have ink on my fingers. In fact if one day I woke up and discovered my fingers not stained with blue or black, I'd think the world had just ended. It results from various factors. My love of fountain pens, my love of dip pens, my love of black inks and my carelessness and general clumsiness.

My remedy for removing ink is to let it come out in it's own time. A few handscrubbings with warm water, liquid soap and one or two showers with lots of general cleaning & scrubbing will remove the ink-stains on my hands within 24-48 hours.
"I, the proud owner of a fountain pen!" - Anne Frank.
Political Correctness [Definition]: A pitiful attempt by mankind to please all, disguise the truth, and fail at both.
"Not Yet Published". My Writing and History Blog.

#12 Beechwood

Beechwood

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:33

I must be some sort of rough ol' monkey, I use glasspaper!

Spelling is a lossed art

#13 jsonewald

jsonewald

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 901 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 15:36

A very tiny sprinkle of dry dishwasher detergent on wet hands. The abrasiveness of the powder plus the detergent power works pretty well.

#14 hardyb

hardyb

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,245 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2007 - 16:03

I use an ammonia based glass cleaner, a fiberious scrub pad and/or small stiff nailbrush, elbow grease. The flax based soap seems like a good suggestion and the pumice based soaps should be good too.

Edited by hardyb, 20 December 2007 - 16:03.

The Danitrio Fellowship

#15 southpaw

southpaw

Museum Piece

• Premium - Emerald

• 5,056 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 16:24

Shampooing your hair works great, Ink Nix is excellent and a bottle stays in my drawer, Amodex is pretty good, and dish soap and a scrub pad work pretty well also.
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

#16 WhosYerBob

WhosYerBob

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 940 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 December 2007 - 16:25

Lava soap for most, but more aggressive solutions for the really tough inks. By the way, Omas Blue is some kind of tough; I finally had to trim my fingernails to get it off of them after two weeks of effort.
Mitch
=======
http://exploratorius.us

#17 playpen

playpen

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 17:03

Deb, a surefire way of getting ink off your hands is to prevent it from getting there in the first place. What I would
suggest is that the next time you enter the boardroom you don a pair of down mittens before you begin to take notes......this works every time... lticaptd.gif

#18 jbn10161

jbn10161

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,109 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 18:38

For those using Comet or dishwasher detergent, note that those (except for organic dishwasher detergents) have lots of bleach in them. It's the bleach that takes out the ink. It will also take out the colors from your clothes if you don't rinse *a lot*.
JN

#19 bernardo

bernardo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,469 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 December 2007 - 00:06

Soap and water.

#20 KeatsPhD

KeatsPhD

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 22:50

I typically wouldn't post to an old thread, but I see my favorite isn't here. I use The Masters Artists Hand Soap - http://www.dickblick.com/zz049/04/ I usually get it at the local craft store (Michael's carries it in the oil/acrylic section).

It has an exfoliant (pumice maybe?) in it and I find it gets the majority of my inky hands clean without resorting to chemical warfare - my sensitive skin aches at the thought of scrubbing up with Comet!

Edited by KeatsPhD, 14 March 2008 - 22:51.

#21 PaulK

PaulK

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 16:06

A quick handwash and then leaving the remaining color to fade with time and subsequent washings. I'd have it no other way smile.gif

Folks at the office know that I'm a FP-user so they figure it just "me-being-me" and shrug-off my inkstained fingers. Even as I type this, I just looked and my left-hand's thumb and forefinger are inkstained from re-priming some pens that have been resting (left home) while I traveled about this past week.

Cheers,

Paul

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

~ Oscar Wilde, 1888

Posted ImagePosted Image

#22 Lucinda

Lucinda

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:14

I use soap and water and a pumice stone, which work very well together. Most of the time a light rub with the stone is enough, but sometimes if I was very enthusiastic with the ink, a bit more pressure is helpful if it isn't in a place with delicate skin (i.e. cuticles).

#23 masteryung555

masteryung555

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 21:58

I found that the best way to remove ink is to apply some dish washer soap, I use Ajax, and use the scrubbing side of a normal sponge. Just scrub the inked spot on the sponge and the majority of it comes out.

#24 voop

voop

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,280 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 23:15

A very tiny sprinkle of dry dishwasher detergent on wet hands. The abrasiveness of the powder plus the detergent power works pretty well.

Yup...that's also working for motor oil, paint and other such stuff -- don't forget a good hydrating creme afterwards, though, as dishwasher detergent is hard on the skin....

#25 Jeroboam

Jeroboam

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 23:21

Yup...that's also working for motor oil, paint and other such stuff -- don't forget a good hydrating creme afterwards, though, as dishwasher detergent is hard on the skin....

I use a spoonful of sugar and washing up liquid for oil, grease, ink and the like, 'tis a bit kinder on the hands and jolly good.

Pip-pip!
Cordialement.
R.J.E.

#26 desertsquid

desertsquid

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 00:21

Ink Nix does a good job but the smell is terrible (like very strong, cheap cologne from the 1970s).

#27 inkyindi

inkyindi

Liquid word conductor

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 00:29

There's always another option... You're a fountain pen enthusiast, don't bother washing it off -- wear it with pride!!

:thumbup:

Edited by inkyindi, 16 June 2010 - 00:30.

#28 fabrimedeiros

fabrimedeiros

BROAD ITALIC/STUB ADDICTED

• Member - Gold

• 1,805 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 00:49

Alcohol 70% is a good ink cleaner, mainly is easy to clear Noodler's Baystate Blue off fingers and sink.

Edited by fabrimedeiros, 16 June 2010 - 00:53.

#29 bigstick

bigstick

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 June 2010 - 15:25

straight dish soap is my go-to for hands and clothing, followed by rubbing alcohol. If I can't wash immediately, Canadian Tire sells a citrus/pumice hand cleaner that will work on just about anything.
Pelikan 120 : Lamy 2000 : Sheaffer PFM III : Parker DuoFold Jr : Hero 239 : Pilot Vanishing Point : Danitrio Cum Laude : Esterbrook LJ : Waterman's 12 and an unknown lever-filler : Lambert Drop-fill : Conway Stewart 388

MB Racing Green : Diamine Sapphire Blue , Registrar's : J. Herbin violet pensée , café des îles : Noodler's Baystate Blue : Waterman Purple, Florida Blue

#30 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• Member - Gold

• 9,699 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 June 2010 - 15:44

How do you get ink off your fingers?

I don't. They look better with ink on them.

Mike
Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)