Pelikan Blue-black

SteadyHand

Recent topics have inspired me and thankfully surprised me.

Thank you.

post-8938-1197684007_thumb.jpg

Pelikan:M205 DemoLamy:2000,Safari,Al-Star,1.1 JoyPilot:3-78G's:B, M, F

Parker:51"Special"Stipula:Ventidue(new version)Rotring 600Sheafer:Snorkel

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SteadyHand

• Cursive Child

• superfly

• ethernautrix

I had always thought of Pelikan blue-black being a grey, washed out ink. How is it in other pens?

Cross: ATX

Esterbrook: Dollar Pen

Eversharp: Standard Skyline, Demi Skyline

Parker: 2 "51" Aerometrics, "51" Special, "21," Striped Duofold, Reflex

Pelikan: M605

Sailor: Sapporo

Sheaffer: 2 Balances

Waterman: CF, Phileas

I'm very surprised from your scan, I tried a couple of pelikan blue/black cartridge on different pens, and I had always the some results: a dry grey/black ink. :crybaby:

Anyway I like your results, now we have only to understand the differences.

Ciao

Genny

Must be the pen. My Pilot 78G B does well with all inks.

Watermans Flex Club & Sheaffer Lifetime Society Member

Must be the pen. My Pilot 78G B does well with all inks.

I agree. This was one of my first inks. I hated it in my M605. I tried it in the 78G on a whim. When I write with the intent on having good penmanship, my lines are more premeditated, I write slower. My opinion of this ink is that it's a wet writer's ink. I will post scans of what it looks with one of my FPs.

• 1 month later...

Bump. I noticed that this review wasn't listed in the larger listing of all reviews.

Well, I bought a bottle of this ink a couple of weeks back, and I'm very surprised at the colour I'm seeing from the review. The ink I have is a very grayish blue-black, reminiscent of those ball point inks.

Well, I bought a bottle of this ink a couple of weeks back, and I'm very surprised at the colour I'm seeing from the review. The ink I have is a very grayish blue-black, reminiscent of those ball point inks.

Your description is reminiscent of what I saw when I had this ink in my M605. I stopped using is then. It think in a broad wet pen, this ink can yield some positive surprises.

I love this ink. I don't understand all the complaining about how it's supposedly a washed-out, grayish ink. I've used it in three different Pelikans with medium-to-wet-writing F or EF nibs, and it's never looked washed out (though I haven't tried it in my super-dry M405 EF, which makes even Aurora Black look grayish). I am especially puzzled by the comment about this ink being reminiscent of ballpoint inks. The color of this ink is something I can't imagine seeing in anything disposable.

My impression is that Pelikan blue-black is as close as one can get to traditional iron-gall ink without having to worry about the problems associated with iron gall. It goes on dark blue, turns gray as it dries, and darkens to a bluish black over several days. The final result depends greatly on the paper you use -- on some types of paper, the blue tint disappears completely. If you use it on paper that's not too absorbent, you can achieve beautiful shading. As an added bonus, it's a high-quality ink that can be obtained relatively inexpensively.

Until I discovered Pelikan blue-black, I used to write with black ink almost exclusively. I now prefer Pelikan blue-black to black, since it's easier on the eyes and has a beautiful vintage look.

Before you discard this ink as a "washed-out, grayish color", give it a second chance. First, make sure you didn't forget to shake the bottle before filling your pen. Next, try writing on several different types of paper. Watch the color change as the ink dries. Let the paper sit in a drawer for a day or two, and look again at the results. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Edited by hulya

I love this ink. I don't understand all the complaining about how it's supposedly a washed-out, grayish ink. I've used it in three different Pelikans with medium-to-wet-writing F or EF nibs, and it's never looked washed out (though I haven't tried it in my super-dry M405 EF, which makes even Aurora Black look grayish). I am especially puzzled by the comment about this ink being reminiscent of ballpoint inks. The color of this ink is something I can't imagine seeing in anything disposable.

My impression is that Pelikan blue-black is as close as one can get to traditional iron-gall ink without having to worry about the problems associated with iron gall. It goes on dark blue, turns gray as it dries, and darkens to a bluish black over several days. The final result depends greatly on the paper you use -- on some types of paper, the blue tint disappears completely. If you use it on paper that's not too absorbent, you can achieve beautiful shading. As an added bonus, it's a high-quality ink that can be obtained relatively inexpensively.

Until I discovered Pelikan blue-black, I used to write with black ink almost exclusively. I now prefer Pelikan blue-black to black, since it's easier on the eyes and has a beautiful vintage look.

Before you discard this ink as a "washed-out, grayish color", give it a second chance. First, make sure you didn't forget to shake the bottle before filling your pen. Next, try writing on several different types of paper. Watch the color change as the ink dries. Let the paper sit in a drawer for a day or two, and look again at the results. You may be pleasantly surprised.

I was going to post on this topic the other day but you have done a great job in covering it. I even have three Pelikans (M, B and BB cursive italics) that do well with the ink. I also like the vintage look.

thanks for the nice review, Steadyhand, lovely writing too! and all the other feedback about the ink.

I love blue blacks and this is next on my list!

Recent topics have inspired me and thankfully surprised me.

Thank you.

Looks great!

Did Pelikan change the formula? In my pens (and with my older bottles), it is a very vintage looking blue/black. Actually I am fond of the dark greyish color of the old Pelikan ink, but your writing sample looks lovely too. And I am envious of your handwriting :)

Your description is reminiscent of what I saw when I had this ink in my M605. I stopped using is then. It think in a broad wet pen, this ink can yield some positive surprises.

Ahh, that might be the difference. I never tried this ink in a really wet pen.

Elo,

Steadyhand, i recently reviewed the pelikan green and violet. why is your handwriting so great? you're making me feel miserable!! :crybaby:

Anyway, the pelikan blue-black was the first ink i ever used. It's my first love. i have a quinck blue-black that i haven't used yet, i hope it turns out as good as the pelikan. i love the dark tone, and the shading of this ink. I used it in a Parker 51, that had a somewhat fine nib, compared to my new Frontier medium nib. i'm yet to try it with a medium nib.

The three pelikan's i've used so far, are just great. I have them all as bottles. Never tried them as cartridges. As convient and practical cartridges are (especially the quink ones with the emergency reserve) I love ink bottles! :cloud9:

End of line.

Edited by Ozzy

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh196/Adkawi/MyName2bluebackcrop.jpg

Current Pens;

Parker Frontier (Stainless Steel; chrome trim)

Parker Vaccumatic - Parker 51 (Mark II; two black, navy blue, burgundy) - Parker 21 - Parker 61

Sheaffer Balance (I think!) - Sheaffer Touchdown - Sheaffer Deskpens (Three)

Eversharp Deskpen

Sometime In The Future;

Parker Lattitude

Waterman Hemisphere

Caran D'Ache Dunas

I had the same gray experience in my VP. The penmanship is fantastic, by the way. A great look from a real reasonably priced pen. Thanks for the review.

(And thanks for posting a nice big scan!!)

Wow. Thanks everybody. Your supportive responses inspire to write more. I think the penmanship has more to do with the pen. I making a conscious effort to work on my handwriting. I've printed some of the Ann's posts to practice. Now there is an artist.

Again thanks, I'm really appreciative.

Dave

Edited by SteadyHand

(snip)... I've printed some of the Ann's posts to practice. Now there is an artist.

Again thanks, I'm really appreciative.

Dave

My goodness, thanks! (Really, I'm not a professional artist.) And thanks for all of the ink reviews--a good way to keep practicing your already good penmanship :)! Hope you'll keep them coming!

Best, Ann

nothing like mine...

My Pel Blue Black is wonderful shade of dark gray-blue, I like it more than this dark Blue scan.

Nenad

life is nothing if you're not obsessed.