Best "Authentic" Modern Inkwell for Pelikan

Sallent

I am receiving my first Pelikan FP on Monday and i just started thinking, if i want to be really authentic, i should perhaps invest on a good ink well to use with my Pel,

However, when i look online all i find are tacky metal ink wells that are meant more for dip pens and not fountain pens. What am looking for is a glass inkwell typical of those used in the old days, but preferably a modern remake as i dont want to pay huge prices for vintage.

Any of you Pel owners use ink wells? Can you recomend one and where i could get it?

Please see these few pics to get an idea of what am refering to, thank you for your help. Me and my new Pel thank you!

post-7476-1195805536_thumb.jpg

post-7476-1195805557_thumb.jpg

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• Matlock

• sargetalon

• Sallent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have bookmarked a few places, and here are the links. I included only ones with inkwells similar to your pics. Here, here, here,, here (down the page a bit), or here also down the page a bit.

As you may deduce, I have a fondness for inkwells. I also have gotten fairly decent values on eBay, but I set a strict limit on what I would pay, and lost very many more than I won.

Donnie

edited to add navigation directions on links

Edited by donwinn

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Thank you for all your help. You have found far more than i had, i really appreciate it. There are at least two of those that you found that am really interested on.

I think inkwells are extremely underrated. A good quality one like the ones in the old days can make filling your pen a superior experience than filling from a cheap plastic bottle, plus they look very refined and sophisticated on a desk.

My grandfather had one similar to the picture i included on the top left corner. When i was a kid i would see him re-filling his Parker Vaccumatic and Parker 51 from the ink well.

My family was always attached to fountain pens and fountain pen accessories, in fact, we still have the Parker 51 that my grandfather and grandmother used to sign their wedding certificates in 1948. I also have my mothers Parker 51, which i dont write with (i want to keep it as pristine as the day i got it).

I have changed, after trying a Pelikan ( I have ordered two now), i think the Parker tradition in the family will die there. I hope one day to pass on my future Pelikans and the art of Fountain Pen use, in fact, i have converted two of my friends and now am working on converting my girlfriend to fountain pens, plus am trying to do the same to a few of my co-workers.

My new slogan: "Real Friends dont let Friends use cheap ball point pens."

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.

I think inkwells are extremely underrated. A good quality one like the ones in the old days can make filling your pen a superior experience than filling from a cheap plastic bottle, plus they look very refined and sophisticated on a desk.

You could circumvent this problem by using Diamine Old English inks. Damn that bottle looks good... http://www.cathedralpens.co.uk/index.php?m...products_id=185

My new favourite ink...

But anyway, to inkwells, I would love to use an inkwell too. In fact I think my dad has an old fashioned crystal sort of inkwell, although the lid is a bit tarnished; I think I'll steal it.

Thank you for inspiring my planned theft.

:)

Patrick

Publifhed According to the True Originall Copies

What about Caran d'Ache ink bottles?

@Patrick - I am just calling CrimeStoppers now - I hear that it is a £500 reward. I will be able to buy a lovely inkwell with that much ;)

Could also try J Herbin "Ink for Man". I kid you not, scented ink, masculine stylee!

I just had to try it, the ink is rather average and a bit of an insipid blue-black, and it smells of "Brut" style aftershave, but the container is nice cut glass. Doubt it's crystal, but though the lid isn't solid metal, it does look ok. Visit the jherbin.com website and look at the ink selection, there's a picture.

Just don't tell anyone you've bought it till you've thrown the box....

Nic

I am receiving my first Pelikan FP on Monday and i just started thinking, if i want to be really authentic, i should perhaps invest on a good ink well to use with my Pel,

Buy Pelikan 4001 -ink in 50 ml bottle (TG 1). It looks like it is made for table top. It even has a place where pen can lay horizontally.

Juhapekka “naula” TOLVANEN * The Nerd in Black * http://iki.fi/juhtolv

ユハペッカ・「ナウラ」・トルワネン

黒服のナード

• 7 years later...

None of my inks ever came in plastic bottles.

This is the same case for me. Years ago were inkwells filled from large bottles? Or was ink homemade and put into a well? Why wouldn't people use straight from the bottle?

This is the same case for me. Years ago were inkwells filled from large bottles? Or was ink homemade and put into a well? Why wouldn't people use straight from the bottle?

When I was at junior school I used to help fill the ink wells on our desks from large stone ink bottles. Rather a messy job for a six year old. That was when we all used dip pens at school, now I really am showing my age :mellow:

Peter

The problem with non screw cap inkwells is the ink evaporates....one can of course add water...but it's not exact.

I have a goodly number of inkwells and inkwell sets. Very few screw cap inkwells, perhaps one of the 30 or so I have counting single well sets...many are double inkwell sets, which I've not found any that are screw capped in the double sets.

This is one I have that the 'cap' seals.....with insert and you do want the incert in most even glass/crystal inkwells mostly had one. Do not buy a metal inkwell with out a glass, Ceramic or Porceline insert. I strive not to buy an ink well with out an insert unless the inkwell is tiny.

The problem is how much of the time are you going to be using just one ink and the same pen.

This one has a 50ml insert and with out the insert takes 70ml. I don't use one ink enough to make it really worth while to fill. Open and closed....is the size of a softball.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/Inkwells/IMAG0219-1.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/Inkwells/IMAG0218-1.jpg

These are sterling silver flip topped ones.http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/Inkwells/IMAG0235.jpg

If you can't get a screw topped one, then suggest a medium sized one....in a small one may be hard to fill after the first load.

Ink wells are great, if you are using only one ink at a time...and one pen filled with it. Then the ink does not evaporate so that you notice it...in you are re-filling the ink well.

French Art Deco...@ 1925 birds eye maple veneer, no screw cap....so has to be used often.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/Inkwells/IMAG0081.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/Inkwells/IMAG0079-1.jpg

I seldom use my inkwell or inkwell sets....but buy them because they are pretty. I do buy them with inserts when ever possible in I might some day use it. There are on Ebay....English Ebay times when inserts are sold.

Buy them....you can always later buy an ink well to fit the insert. :D

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I did not realize how old the thread is, but...FYI

I found a screw top inkwell, but when I contacted the seller, the seller told me that the screw cap did NOT seal.

It would keep the dust out and cut down some of the evaporation.

So a screw cap does not mean the cap will SEAL.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Gee that OP is from back when I only had one fountain pen....locked up in my wife's jewelry box.

Depending on the ink well...I'm sure some screw on caps do seal.

Like the old stage coach traveling ink well sealed.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Very true.

About the only places you see ink wells in use these days are on the counters of a Montblanc Boutiques and these are the double set (ink and water). They are, in essence are for dip pens, as that is what you do when trying your potential purchase.

Ink wells are for dip pens. Ink bottles are for fountain pens. IMHO

Fred

Peter

Ink wells are for dip pens. Ink bottles are for fountain pens. IMHO

Fred

+1. This has always been my opinion too. I have seen some really nice vintage ink wells but somehow they've never seemed practical for fountain pen use.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Would be if one did not have so many inks.

Ink wells were used well into the fountain pen era.....black for made money in the ledger or writing a business letter. Red for lost money.

I have a number of Bauhaus, and Art Deco ones.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/Inkwells/IMAG0245.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/Inkwells/IMAG0220.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/Inkwells/IMAG0093.jpg

below is 1915, celebrating a German WW1 victory.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/Inkwells/KGrHqVHJCkE7zC5V3IUBPCdwzVCdQ60_12.jpg

Don't know when this one is from...I think '20-30's....could be pre WW1 but I don't think so. Flip top.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/0UCFD5W62_zps74cc2619.jpg

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

I don't use an inkwell. Why should I store my ink on the desk when I need it only once a week to refill my pen? So a tight ink bottle in a dark cupboard or drawer seems to me a much better storage for ink.

I would not say that I don't recognice the beauty and elegance of a nice inkwell or desktop set. But If I had such i would use it with a classic pen holder and dip pen, or maybe even with a squill.

"On the internet nobody knows you're a cat." =^.^=