What is the best pen shop online?

Bisquitlips

Eh? I'm at a complete loss to see how you arrived at that conclusion, based on one simple, innocuous sentance.

I do believe I said for the simple reason of customer service, did I say anything about web design, content or inventory?

No, but Bisquitlip's question did: "Please take into consideration price, website design, service, content, and inventory."

Geez some people just have to nitpick everything.

That's quite uncalled for, I think.

Col - I arrived at that conclusion based on the fact that instead of telling us what site you personally like you choose instead to make comments on the site that I personally prefer. I know quite well what the question was and I put down my personal selection based on the criteria I felt was most important. I would much rather have the site focused on customer care and service than on making the site pretty. Is this site's inventory the largest no, is it the smallest, probably not. The prices, good luck beating them.

So instead of harping on the site I prefer personally, why not put down what you like instead and let it go at that?

It was a simple statement and what I said about you nitpicking was called for as you did not have to harp on the site I personally prefer.

Let's just agree to disagree on this one.

PP

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

Winston Churchill

Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.

Winston Churchill

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kvippal

• Col

• PelikanPenman

• Freddy

Col - I arrived at that conclusion based on the fact that instead of telling us what site you personally like you choose instead to make comments on the site that I personally prefer.

Precisely - it was a comment about Pam Braun's web site when judged by Bisquitlip's stated criteria, not a comment on your opinion of it. You seem to have taken personal offence where absolutely none was intended. Neither is there anything unusual about members responding to another member's post instead of the OP's question - it's quite commonplace. I'm genuinely baffled by your reaction, unless it's motivated by personal dislike.

It was a simple statement and what I said about you nitpicking was called for as you did not have to harp on the site I personally prefer.

A single sentence can't by any stretch of the imagination be considered 'harping on'.

Let's just agree to disagree on this one.

I'll certainly agree not to respond to any more of your FPN posts. I can easily live without such an intolerant and dismissive attitude.

Col

What do you think is the very best pen shop online? Please take into consideration price, website design, service, content, and inventory.

Also please give us a reason why you think it is the best and give us the link and not just a name or acronym. If you would like you can give us a site that deals in modern issues and a site that deals in vintage pens or both.

Ebay doesn't count as a pen shop. :headsmack:

I personally have to vote for Richard's Pens. www.richardspens.com. Both as a site that sells new and vintage, but more than anything else it is a great resource of knowledge, especially to someone like me that is rather new to serious pen collecting.

Pam Braun. Not a snazzy, jazzy website, but ultimately it's the prices that count, so Pam is best. :cloud9:

Having said that, I also like Pengallery and Worldlux, as they often have some great pens that Pam doesn't stock, and the service is excellent in both cases.

Cultpens is my favourite UK pen site, and also my favourite for 'cheapo' pens of all types.

Edited by Bennington1967

I am a fan of nibs.com myself. Although I have dealt with very few sites if the first one treats me well and has what I want I doubt I would need to go elsewhere.

Nicely designed site, new pens, vintage pens (well described), fair prices and plenty of other information to read....newsletters, etc....

Checkout? There is none that I could find, you need to e-mail, or better still, call. This was you get personal service. Sharon took plenty of phone time and later e-mail followups to be sure I got what I wanted, setup in a style I liked.

Not the fastest way to do business if you already know what you want and are just shopping price, but an excellent way if you have questions. I run my own business just like this. Yeah, people use my checkout too but a phone call insures your purchase is exactly what's right for you.

Tony

Lifetime Leather Journal Covers

The Heirloom Razor Strop Co.

I have had great experiences with http://www.penwa.com. Incredibly fast and responsive service, and very quick delivery of purchases. Best of all, some of the lowest prices I have seen on the web. The downside, their selection of brands is somewhat limited.

If your looking only at internet stores. I think hisnibs.com or richards binders site are the two best. If your looking at brick and mortar stores it would be Fountain Pen Hospital, Bertrams Inkwell, A Pen Lovers Paradise, Farlays.

Pendemonium, their prices might be a bit higher than other places but they send you an email when you place an order, and it is not an automated email and they inclose a note when they ship and they ship promptly. In short they are great to do buisness with and they have a good selection.

Pendemonium, their prices might be a bit higher than other places but they send you an email when you place an order, and it is not an automated email and they inclose a note when they ship and they ship promptly. In short they are great to do buisness with and they have a good selection.

Yep forgot at them. I am use to seeing them at the shows.

I've had superlative service from Richie at cyberpens in the UK although I'm here in the USA.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I have had great experiences with www.nibs.com , John Mottishaw and team. Knowledgeable and helpful, nibmeister on hand for adjustments and speedy delivery. All in all IMO excellent! :thumbup:

Sebastian Krown

"So many pens, so little time!"

PSKROWN@GMAIL.COM

The list narrows if you're a B nib lover. Many of the sites listed above rarely, if ever, have B nibs.

Pam the Pen Goddess Braun at the Oscar Braun site already listed - price, service and making "the Precious" aka my Yard O Led Grand possible

Fountain Pen Hospital for breadth of inventory and phenomenal sales prices, plus just about every ink and refill I could ever look for

JM Lewertoswki aka Pen Seller in France for a lot of my Carenes

Pear Tree Pens for the best prices I've ever found on Herbin ink

Pen Gallery for Marlens with a B nib and going the extra mile to work around my xenophobic ISP who regularly tries to block them from sending FedEx tracking info

I forgot Lewertowski, Pen Seller in France. He's an excellent seller. So is Pen Gallery. I forgot how many overseas sellers are out there, most with excellent service.

I'm still awaiting a scan of your handwriting so I can see how these broad nibs work.....

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

What makes an internet pen dealer a good one? Here are some of my criteria...

1. Low prices. Nobody will argue with this being the most important.

I respectfully beg to differ on this one. In fact I will go so far as to actually argue with this statement - for me service is the most important, by far. After that quality and selection. Price is way down the list. Low prices are frankly not a primary reason why I select to business with anyone, be it online or brick & mortar.

Jim Couch

Jim Couch

Portland, OR

The Writing Desk (quick responses, Very kind and enormous selection of inks)

Giardino Italiano (www.pens.it) - well they have all those Italians honeys :)

For information purposes I go to Richards site and Brian Andersons site. As for buying pens, I mainly have with that place I can not mention. Vintage is easier there.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.

Frank Herbert, Dune

US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr

I've had good experiences over the years with Weaver McCracken at www.penseller.com. His prices are competitive; his range of offerings is broad; and when there was a problem with an Omas Ercolessi that I purchased from him, he got it fixed pronto.

I've also had good dealings with Swisher, John Mottishaw, Richard Binder, Alan Gross (www.pensplus.biz), Regina Martini, and Jimmy at Total Office Products (www.go-pens.com).

I would have to say the best shop online is The Writing Desk. Its got an excellent selection of pens and inks. I would recommend it to anyone

I have had very good experiences ordering from Swisher Pens, Isellpens and Pendemonium. They are very helpful and informative, have a good product selection and quick and efficient service. I would not hesitate in the slightest to recommend these sellers, and will happily continue to do business with them.

Since I didn't see them mentioned, let me post a link to Altman Luggage (http://www.altmanluggage.com/). I bought a Pelikan 605 there for a closeout $129 including shipping. I just checked, and they're offering that again. Service was prompt and trouble free, and the pen has turned out to be one of my favorites (after popping in a Binder .5mm cursive italic).

Doug