Caran d'Ache Blue Night

girlieg33k

I started a new rotation of pens this week. While I was inking pens, I decided to handwrite a few mini-reviews on each ink, with swab samples. To save time, I scanned everything, so colors may vary depending on your monitor. I'm limited to posting 600pix wide images here, but click on the image or the link below it to view the full-size scanned image. The full-sized image may give a better, sharper representation of each ink color.

Edited by girlieg33k

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tnmike1

• chupie

• girlieg33k

• Robin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi girlieg33k,

thanks for the scan and review. I dropped in at my local super-duper pen shoppe, where they had just received their first shipment of these. The lovely Liz swabbed it [among others from the range] and we were surprised — nay, shocked — to see it was turn a dull grey with only a hint of blue in it :sick:

Looking into the bottle, it certainly did not seem that way. Rather underwhelming, really. Oh, well.

• 1 month later...

Have you checked it under daylight?

Incandescent light sources are weak in the blue range...

I bought a bottle of this about 6 months ago and mine has no shades of blue in it. It is a dull washed out looking grey colour.

• 1 month later...
Have you checked it under daylight?

Incandescent light sources are weak in the blue range...

I bought a bottle of this about 6 months ago and mine has no shades of blue in it. It is a dull washed out looking grey colour.

Yeah, it's the worst ink I have. It must've been a faulty batch. There's nothing blue about it. It's more like 1 part black to 10 million parts dishwater....

The Caran d'Ache "Colors of the Earth" inks are quite beautiful. I especially like "Storm", "Blue Night", and "Grand Canyon". "Storm" is my favorite purpley ink.

Currently Inked: Visconti Pericle EF : Aurora Black; Pilot VP-F (Gunmetal): X-Feather; Pilot VP-F (LE Orange): Kiowa Pecan; Lamy Safari EF: Legal Lapis

Wishlist (WTB/T) - Pelikan "San Francisco"

I went to pick this up and they didnt have it. I picked up Blue Sky instead. This line, for me, has been a pleasant discovery for me. I had planned to get this ink, but, I say that it may have gone done the list a bit. I hoped for a deeper blue with less hint of grey.

Pelikan:M205 DemoLamy:2000,Safari,Al-Star,1.1 JoyPilot:3-78G's:B, M, F

Parker:51"Special"Stipula:Ventidue(new version)Rotring 600Sheafer:Snorkel

True, it's not very blue. :(

Mine is a rather nice blue-black. I use it in my desk pen. Could the baches vary? Does anybody know who makes it?

I believe that it is made by Herbin, which would make sense as they behave in a very similar way to the Herbin inks that I have.

They are gorgeous inks with great shading. I have Storm, Caribbean Sea, Sunset, Safron and Canyon Brown - and I love them all!

This looks what I wanted Herbin Bleu Nuit to look like... But in my case, Bleu Nuit ended up a dull washed out purple.

I ordered a new bottle, thinking maybe the batch was bad, or it was simply old (it had been on a dealer's shelf for many years). If it doesn't end up looking somewhat like the above, I'll switch to the CdA.

I started a new rotation of pens this week. While I was inking pens, I decided to handwrite a few mini-reviews on each ink, with swab samples. To save time, I scanned everything, so colors may vary depending on your monitor. I'm limited to posting 600pix wide images here, but click on the image or the link below it to view the full-size scanned image. The full-sized image may give a better, sharper representation of each ink color.

My blue night has turned dark gray! I haven't used it for a while, but even the q-tip dip is a black gray! I'm kind of bummed. Has anyone else had this happen? The bottle is just a few months old. Well sealed. I guess it is ok as I have no black or grey that I use, but it really looks like the scans I have seen of El Lawrence Noodler's now.

Pearl's Blog: A Journey in Patience: Feline DIabetes

Feline Diabetes is a treatable condition.

<a href="http://www.felinediabetes.com" target="_blank">http://www.felinediabetes.com</a>

This happened to me! It started out looking like the scan here, maybe a bit darker, but now, some 4 or 5 months later is a total gray color.

Pearl's Blog: A Journey in Patience: Feline DIabetes

Feline Diabetes is a treatable condition.

<a href="http://www.felinediabetes.com" target="_blank">http://www.felinediabetes.com</a>

Thanks for the information. I was on my way to pick some of this up today, but turned around due to a bit of a stomach problem. I was going to complete the quest tomorrow, but may opt for something different. I don't see this as a replacement for my Diamine. This stuff looks very much like the Dupont Night Blue that I have. Possibly made by the same people?

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional and illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

• 2 months later...
Thanks for the information. I was on my way to pick some of this up today, but turned around due to a bit of a stomach problem. I was going to complete the quest tomorrow, but may opt for something different. I don't see this as a replacement for my Diamine. This stuff looks very much like the Dupont Night Blue that I have. Possibly made by the same people?

Out of interest, did you end up picking up some of this ink? I ask as I bought a bottle today and was extremely disappointed to discover that I, too, must have ink from a faulty batch. It is a pale, watery grey with no hint of blue. It isn't a case of a mislabelled bottle since the ink doesn't 'feel' or flow consistent with my previous experience of CdA Colours of the Earth ink. Very disappointing; it's completely unusable. As several of us appear to have had this experience, perhaps the answer is to test the ink in-shop prior to purchase to ensure it's not from the faulty batch? Unless the barcodes change with each batch, there's no other batch number anywhere on the packaging to be able to check. Shame - I'm sure it would have been a lovely ink.

Out of interest, did you end up picking up some of this ink? I ask as I bought a bottle today and was extremely disappointed to discover that I, too, must have ink from a faulty batch. It is a pale, watery grey with no hint of blue. It isn't a case of a mislabelled bottle since the ink doesn't 'feel' or flow consistent with my previous experience of CdA Colours of the Earth ink. Very disappointing; it's completely unusable. As several of us appear to have had this experience, perhaps the answer is to test the ink in-shop prior to purchase to ensure it's not from the faulty batch? Unless the barcodes change with each batch, there's no other batch number anywhere on the packaging to be able to check. Shame - I'm sure it would have been a lovely ink.

I did not. However, another forum member sent me a letter that was partially written with this ink. The CdA Blue Night actually looked pretty good.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional and illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

• 2 weeks later...
Hi girlieg33k,

thanks for the scan and review. I dropped in at my local super-duper pen shoppe, where they had just received their first shipment of these. The lovely Liz swabbed it [among others from the range] and we were surprised — nay, shocked — to see it was turn a dull grey with only a hint of blue in it :sick:

Looking into the bottle, it certainly did not seem that way. Rather underwhelming, really. Oh, well.

Indeed.. I ran into the same problem.. dingy grey right out of the bottle. Fortunately the fine vendor (Bromfield's) accepted the bottle for a refund. One is left wondering if the merchants ever bother telling Caran d'Ache reps of these problems.. I understand they are being tossed out of a San Fran pen store when their display contract expires due to dreadful post-sale support and generally unhelpful relations vis-a-vis the merchant.

Happy inking!

• 5 weeks later...

Hello there!

Is anyone willing to part with their undesired Caran d'Ache Blue Night bottle?

I'm ready to pay $10 for a half-filled bottle of this in good condition shipped to Magnolia, MS 39652. I'm even looking for a couple of totally or nearly empty C d'A bottles of any color ink!

Please feel free to offer, by Personal Message or replying here. Thanks in advance.

-vijay

Hello there!

Is anyone willing to part with their undesired Caran d'Ache Blue Night bottle?

I'm ready to pay $10 for a half-filled bottle of this in good condition shipped to Magnolia, MS 39652. I'm even looking for a couple of totally or nearly empty C d'A bottles of any color ink!

Please feel free to offer, by Personal Message or replying here. Thanks in advance.

-vijay

This should have been posted in the Classified and Market Watch Forum, and you may still want to post your request there under "Wanted To Buy."

Best, Ann

• 7 months later...

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but just tried my sample from Pear Tree--received late last month--and it is gray, just like some here have reported. So question is: has anyone found out that these batches differ one from another??? Obviously not returning the little sample bottle, but just curious. Loved the ink test I saw at the top of the thread, but mine is a washed out grayish tone.

Knoxville TN & Palm Coast FL