73 replies to this topic

#61 ANM

ANM

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 20:34

I won it on ebay- buy it now. It came from India. There are 5 left @ http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_1796wt_1398

Edited by ANM, 28 July 2012 - 20:43.

And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

#62 fiberdrunk

fiberdrunk

Fibery and Inky Goodness

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2012 - 21:43

I won it on ebay- buy it now. It came from India. There are 5 left @ http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_1796wt_1398

Thanks!
Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

#63 Anitropius

Anitropius

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2012 - 16:00

I've had two Vectors, but for some reason they've all been taken apart by me. I have fond memories of them as I wrote my fifth journal almost entirely with them, even though that time of my life wasn't... well, that very well. I see the Vector as a memento of me finding myself. I recently looked through my room to find all the parts and restore them, and I managed to restore one them. I wrote with it for a day, then I gave it to a friend when we talked about how she wanted to get into writing.

"This pen is cheap, simple and sleek and I've done a hell of lot of writing with it." I said. "And now, it's yours." She's said that she really enjoys it, so I guess it's true that it's a good entry level pen. I've recently taken a nib and built an unholy Frankenstein-pen composed of the Vector nib, Pilot V5 shell and a Lamy cartridge. It doesn't look good at all, but works just fine.

And that's my story about the Vector, which I obviously like. I also have a Batman Vector ballpoint which I love, got it for about two bucks and it's my back-up pen.

#64 LisaN

LisaN

Mad Scientist

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2012 - 19:40

I love my two vectors. First, because I can put any ink in them, or neglect them, let them dry out... and they still flush and write. they are not so much in daily rotation, though.

I also love them because of nostalgic reasons.
When I was in grad school, a guy joined my lab who was... hopeless. A big, careless, inconsiderate, stupid galoot, and that was being generous. My project was pretty far along, three years in, and working out well. His, umm, no. He would constantly go on about how smart he was, and how important his non-working project was- as an excuse for why he kept taking my glassware, using up the last of the solvents, etc. When his experiments didn't work out, he would throw mini tantrums, throwing notebooks and pens. He kept saying how he would be done in less than one year.

So I decided to buy a pair of vectors, for red and blue- black ink, and started writing out my dissertation on yellow pads. He'd quit playing some video game, amble over and say, "boy, you are being lazy ... no labwork today?"
It was quite nice to say, "I'm writing my dissertation while today's experiments are running." He would quickly disappear.
So I associate my vectors with the motivation to get done and get out, while simultaneously annoying that jerk.
Sometimes the cat needs a new cat toy. And sometimes I need a new pen.

#65 pencils+pens

pencils+pens

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2012 - 20:55

I have three Vectors. The navy blue one was purchased as part of a three piece set in the 1980s. The other writing instruments were a rollerball and a mechanical pencil. That was the first matching set of writing instruments I had owned since grade school. It was also the first fountain pen I had owned and used in many years. It kept my interest in fountain pens alive until that interest bloomed again a few years ago.

The second Vector is black. It is the main piece of a tinned calligraphy set I purchased on eBay a few years ago. I purchased in when my interest in fountain pens and penmanship began. I have since switched from Italic hands to non-Italic hands and put the Vector in semi-retirement. It and the Italics nibs to the Sheaffer Prelude were the only calligraphy components I kept.

The third Vector is white. I purchased it after this year's Miami Pen Show. I bought it to match a white Vector rollerball I picked up at the show for $2.50.

Two of the three Vectors remain in the rotation. I fitted the blue Vector with a converter this morning. When it goes back into the rotation it will be inked with Private Reserve American Blue. The white one is currently inked. The white one is being used to use up my remaining Parker cartridges. Once the cartridges are gone, it will also be given a converter. I have not decided what ink it will carry. Since white is a neutral color I could put any color ink in it.

All of my Vectors have been good writers. I have had no problem with skipping. I can leave them for a long time and they usually start right up. If they don't, a few shakes and a pass on the tongue and they are good to go.

I also like their simple, functional look. What is not to like about an inexpensive, durable, functional pen.

#66 SUNIL GARG

SUNIL GARG

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:44

The problem with Parker Vector is not the pen but the quality of ink. In an Indian Summer of
40 degrees plus that lasts for 7+ months the ink has to be tropicalized. I wonder if there was
any available, previously. The best ink made here is Quink, made for Parker by Luxor.That too only recently.
In the 70s,80,90s & early 2000s only Chelpark, Camlin etc. were available in India which despite
having nice colors & flow used to cake & clog even my Mont Blanc 144 and even ate up the so called
'precious resin'.
Then I changed to Sheaffer Skrip,Waterman Encre & MB Inks & the like. Wow!another world experience unfolded.

Presently, I have Inks from cda, PR, Omas,Peli-Edel,Sailor etc. The best bang for money spent I
get is on PR whose inks are saturated & flow nicely in any pen-MB,Sailor,Omas,Waterman,Duofold
& the finicky S.T.Du Pont also. Yes, STDP runs only in Cda Amazon & any of the 6 shades of PR that I
have. Strangely it stops writing in Peli-Edel.Inscrutable world of Inks & the Pens.

Back to Parker- just a few days ago I took out my quarantined Parker Vector, fitted it with a
Parker slider convertor and filled it with Omas Red. No problems, doing what a Vector can be
normally supposed to do on paper.

Few inks, if any, can run well in any fountain pen & one has to match/wed inks with pen.
Lots of trial & error involved here.

#67 robofkent

robofkent

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 September 2012 - 19:51

I bought another Parker Vector the other day. I went into well known UK store WH Smiths and saw they were priced at £10, which for a Vector is a little too expensive, so I went down the road and picked one up in equally well known UK store Wilkinsons, where they were priced at under £6.

Although you can pick them up even cheaper on Amazon and Ebay of course!

#68 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,581 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 September 2012 - 20:24

My Vector is a little workhorse. Completely dependable. No matter what ink is in it, no matter that it sat unused in someone else's house for 2 months (and certainly not kept nib up), and then after that spent a week in the bottom of my husband's car in 20 degree MA weather -- when I got it back, it started right up the next morning without skipping a beat. Or a pen stroke, for that matter....
Would I buy another one? In a heartbeat, if I could find one for under $30 US for a fine nib (for some reason the medium nib ones I"ve seen on Amazon are cheaper). I've even considered buying ESSRI (in spite of the exorbitant overseas shipping costs to the US) and folding a pen order in with it, just to spread the shipping costs out somewhat.
Does it beat out my vintage 45 with the 14 K nib? No. Does it perform better than the Urban that I've had to send back to Parker twice (and for which they just sent me a replacement pen, with a cryptic note that the barrel on the first one was "defective")? Heck, yeah.
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth
"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#69 benn093

benn093

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:13

My Vector is a little workhorse. Completely dependable. No matter what ink is in it, no matter that it sat unused in someone else's house for 2 months (and certainly not kept nib up), and then after that spent a week in the bottom of my husband's car in 20 degree MA weather -- when I got it back, it started right up the next morning without skipping a beat. Or a pen stroke, for that matter....
Would I buy another one? In a heartbeat, if I could find one for under $30 US for a fine nib (for some reason the medium nib ones I"ve seen on Amazon are cheaper). I've even considered buying ESSRI (in spite of the exorbitant overseas shipping costs to the US) and folding a pen order in with it, just to spread the shipping costs out somewhat.
Does it beat out my vintage 45 with the 14 K nib? No. Does it perform better than the Urban that I've had to send back to Parker twice (and for which they just sent me a replacement pen, with a cryptic note that the barrel on the first one was "defective")? Heck, yeah.

Not only are they reliable in the warm, I took one to Alert on Ellesmere Island and it worked quite well, as did the Pilot Varsity I had with me.

I like the "flighter" style best, and only wish two things of this humble yet hardworking design: one, that the fine nib were more easily available; and two, that they came with a convertor (as, once upon a time, did the Frontier).
I've had no luck with the Urban nor with the ghastly IM. Both have nibs made of horseshoe nails and the trim around the end of the section on my Urban rusted. My favourite Parker of today is still the Sonnet but it is a Vector that goes with me into the field or on long trips.

Are the newer ones really made in China? I ask this as the rollerball sold in Staples now is. I bought a fountain pen version, black barrwl and silver crosshatched cap, and it seems to be of, shall we say, a slightly less robust finish?

#70 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,581 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:00

I like the "flighter" style best, and only wish two things of this humble yet hardworking design: one, that the fine nib were more easily available; and two, that they came with a convertor (as, once upon a time, did the Frontier).
I've had no luck with the Urban nor with the ghastly IM. Both have nibs made of horseshoe nails and the trim around the end of the section on my Urban rusted. My favourite Parker of today is still the Sonnet but it is a Vector that goes with me into the field or on long trips.

Are the newer ones really made in China? I ask this as the rollerball sold in Staples now is. I bought a fountain pen version, black barrwl and silver crosshatched cap, and it seems to be of, shall we say, a slightly less robust finish?
[/quote]

Funny -- my Vector has an F nib. I wasn't sure I'd get used to it at first, since my previous (unknown model) cheapie Parkers from Staples were Ms But I grew to like it, and ironically, the new Urban, with its M nib, writes much drier (although I just read that Sailor inks are fairly dry, so that may be part of the issue, and I've got Sky High in the Urban at the moment). OTOH -- I seem to recall reading that the nibs for Vectors and Urbans are the same.
As for where the Vectors are now made, I couldn't say -- mine is marked as being made in the UK.
"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#71 ANM

ANM

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,622 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:58

Parker slide converter fit Vector pens.

#72 Boris87

Boris87

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Bronze

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 13:21

Gosh, the vector was my very first fountain pen at age 7! Not exactly the greatest FP in the world and if honest, as a left-hander, I always found it awful to write with back then (and FP's in general) due to excessive smudging.

Strange then that I love using ink pens today. Anyway, the vector is a scratchy pen, however, for somebody just starting out with FP's, it's an inexpensive way to try them out. Also due to them only being able to take cartridges, it's not possible to use really good ink (that's my love with this hobby):)

#73 ANM

ANM

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,622 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:58

You can use bottle ink. The modern slide converters will fit. I have one in my vector. As for scratchiness, that is not a characteristic of Vectors in general but rather a fault with your particular nib, unless you happen to have an italic nib, then it is probably scratchy for cursive, but a round tip will only be scratchy if misaligned or otherwise damaged.

#74 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,581 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:12

And you *can* clean out and refill cartridges. Sort of a pain, I've found (I prefer using the converter and bottled ink) but I've done it and you can use whatever ink you want in them if you clean them out well enough.