Photo

How long does a bottle of Noodler's Ink last?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 graceaj

graceaj

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 12:07

I'm hoping to get a bottle of Noodler's Ink, but before I do so, I was wondering just how long it lasts. Locally, it costs about US$20 a bottle, and so before I get one, I just want to make sure it won't be gone before I realise it.
Looking to exchange ink samples! Available: Noodler's Bulletproof Black, Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses, Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher, Noodler's Operation Overlord Orange

#2 Col

Col

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 12:21

Well, how long is a piece of string? It depends how often you use it, how much you write with it, how strong the ink flow in your pen is, etc.

For comparison, a standard Noodler's bottle holds 3 oz/90ml of ink. That's nearly twice as much as, say, a Waterman bottle at 50ml - so it should last you nearly twice as long, all else being equal. Noodler's may seem expensive, but it's actually quite good value.
Col

#3 jbb

jbb

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,037 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2007 - 14:30

If you're only filling one pen with this one bottle of ink it seems like it would last a very long time. If you hang out at FPN long enough you'll be filling many, many pens from your drawer full of ink.

The Inked Nib has a very good price on Noodler's ink so even with shipping they would be less than $20.
http://www.inkednib....ucts.asp?cat=10 (I've bought from them but am not otherwise affiliated.)

Which color are you thinking of buying?

#4 arbatrmwc

arbatrmwc

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 15:00

Using a bottle in a standby color, it takes me a year to finish. Great value - but at the same time, I am always excited when I get to the bottom of the bottle as it means I can buy another! rolleyes.gif

#5 psfred

psfred

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 15:18

I have way too much ink, in too many colors, and don't reliable use anything but black (for work and addresses). However, I have used almost 1/8 of a bottle of Noodler's black in nine months. All the rest of the ink shows lowering levels, but not like the black -- I'd guess I'm using no more than a full bottle a year, more likely half a bottle total. I write a two or three pages of notes and letters a day, maybe four on average. I fill a pen with black in about once a month or every three weeks, depending on the pen (a "51" vac holds a lot more than say a Snorkel). All my "user" pens are fine or Gregg nibs, only very occasionally will a use a medium.

If you are in school taking copious notes (as you should be if you are in class!), expect to use somewhat more. Still, $20 for a years supply of ink isn't too bad. Probably somewhat cheaper than disposable ball points, most of which don't seem to have very much ink in them, nothing like when I was in school.

Peter

#6 Viseguy

Viseguy

NYC

• Member - Gold

• 1,770 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 21:14

Let's do the math. A bottle of Noodler's holds 90 ml. If your pen or converter holds 1 ml, the bottle will last 90 fills. If you fill your pen on average once every 4 days, the bottle will last 360 days, or about a year. Adjust the variables (underlined above) according to your own circumstances, and you will have your answer. eureka.gif

In other words: L=Bf/c, where L is bottle life, B is bottle capacity, f is the interval between fills, and c is pen capacity. Viseguy's Law. bunny01.gif

Edited by Viseguy, 16 September 2007 - 21:25.

Viseguy

#7 jbb

jbb

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,037 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2007 - 21:19

QUOTE(Viseguy @ Sep 16 2007, 02:14 PM) View Post
Let's do the math. A bottle of Noodler's holds 90 ml. If your pen or converter holds 1 ml, the bottle will last 90 fills. If you fill your pen on average once every 4 days, the bottle will last 360 days, or about a year. Adjust the variables (underlined above) according to your own circumstances, and you will have your answer. eureka.gif

Wow!!! I'm always so impressed by people who possess logic that I don't have. headsmack.gif

#8 captnemo

captnemo

Senior Pen Herder

• Member - Gold

• 1,912 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2007 - 21:31

At first I thought Noodlers was pricey, and a few of the bulletproof colors like Hunter Green and Fox Red that only come in 1 ounce bottles are a bit pricey, but all the others (Black, Red-Black, Apache Sunset, Socrates, Glacier) I have in 3 ounce bottles and it's economical.

Since then Hunter Green has also become economical for me because I prefer the result I get from Hunter Green diluted 50/50 with distilled water. I call it Grass Green, it's plenty vivid, just as bulletproof, and eliminates the smearing I had with Hunter Green from some pens on some papers. So that cuts the cost in half.

#9 BillTheEditor

BillTheEditor

“Qui m'aime aime mon chien.” Pretty much says it all.

• Member - Gold

• 2,547 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 21:33

QUOTE(graceaj @ Sep 16 2007, 07:07 AM) View Post
I'm hoping to get a bottle of Noodler's Ink, but before I do so, I was wondering just how long it lasts.

Until you knock the bottle over while filling your pen ... crybaby.gif

Edited by BillTheEditor, 16 September 2007 - 21:33.

#10 *david*

*david*

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,508 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 22:53

If you like the ink, then it is a good sized bottle (bigger than most) and is definitely worth it.

If you don't like the ink, you have a very good chance of getting back very close to what you paid when you sell it (here, or elsewhere).

#11 Viseguy

Viseguy

NYC

• Member - Gold

• 1,770 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 23:18

QUOTE(BillTheEditor @ Sep 16 2007, 05:33 PM) View Post
QUOTE(graceaj @ Sep 16 2007, 07:07 AM) View Post
I'm hoping to get a bottle of Noodler's Ink, but before I do so, I was wondering just how long it lasts.

Until you knock the bottle over while filling your pen ... crybaby.gif

Or crush it in a vise. Oh yeah, been there, done that, got the tee shirt. biggrin.gif

I suppose I should refine my formula to account for waste: L=Bf/(c+w), where w is the average amount of ink wasted per fill. In a perfect world, w=0 and the original formula holds. Just this once, let's pretend it's a perfect world. rolleyes.gif

Edit: Corrected definition of variable w.

Edited by Viseguy, 17 September 2007 - 00:00.

Viseguy

#12 graceaj

graceaj

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 02:24

I'm thinking of getting it in blue or black, and maybe another colour Unfortunately, I don't know if the $20 is for the one or three-ounce bottle. I believe most inks are in three-ounce bottles, but I don't know if this applies to Singapore Exclusive inks as well. My father had gone to the store for me, and when he heard that it cost $20, he didn't bother to get any more information for me. headsmack.gif

The website only lists 'Singapore Exclusive colours', which come in 12 colours, and from what I can see of the labels on the website, most if not all of them are bulletproof. Online prices definately look great, but I don't know how much shipping would put on it, plus the whole lack of a credit card would make things a little difficult.

Looking to exchange ink samples! Available: Noodler's Bulletproof Black, Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses, Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher, Noodler's Operation Overlord Orange

#13 captnemo

captnemo

Senior Pen Herder

• Member - Gold

• 1,912 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2007 - 03:06

QUOTE(graceaj @ Sep 16 2007, 10:24 PM) View Post
I'm thinking of getting it in blue or black, and maybe another colour Unfortunately, I don't know if the $20 is for the one or three-ounce bottle. I believe most inks are in three-ounce bottles, but I don't know if this applies to Singapore Exclusive inks as well. My father had gone to the store for me, and when he heard that it cost $20, he didn't bother to get any more information for me. headsmack.gif

The website only lists 'Singapore Exclusive colours', which come in 12 colours, and from what I can see of the labels on the website, most if not all of them are bulletproof. Online prices definately look great, but I don't know how much shipping would put on it, plus the whole lack of a credit card would make things a little difficult.

It's my belief that all of the exclusive inks Noodlers makes for various stores and such, and inks like the "British" and "Russian" inks only come in 3 ounce bottles. Somebody correct me if I'm mistaken.

#14 cowdad

cowdad

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 04:18

QUOTE(captnemo @ Sep 17 2007, 03:06 AM) View Post
It's my belief that all of the exclusive inks Noodlers makes for various stores and such, and inks like the "British" and "Russian" inks only come in 3 ounce bottles. Somebody correct me if I'm mistaken.

I am looking forward to Noodler's first Mexican ink. Hopefully, it will also be available here in the United States, both to citizens and to noncitizens as well.

#15 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 12:06

QUOTE(Viseguy @ Sep 16 2007, 06:18 PM) View Post
I suppose I should refine my formula to account for waste: L=Bf/(c+w), where w is the average amount of ink wasted per fill. In a perfect world, w=0 and the original formula holds. Just this once, let's pretend it's a perfect world. rolleyes.gif

Edit: Corrected definition of variable w.

I am totally entering Viseguy's Law into the Penpedia. Not only because it's a nice formula, but because you gave it a freaking great name.
"Reverend, you will go to heaven with other good people. Even in heaven you be arguing about the various theories of religion. Your arguments will be an obstacle to my meditation. Therefore, I would prefer to got to hell. Then I will be of service to the suffering." ~ Bhante Walpola Piyananda

Posted Image

#16 jd50ae

jd50ae

http://www.chaeyahne.net

• Member - Gold

• 3,400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2007 - 12:37

QUOTE(cowdad @ Sep 16 2007, 11:18 PM) View Post
I am looking forward to Noodler's first Mexican ink. Hopefully, it will also be available here in the United States, both to citizens and to noncitizens as well.

roflmho.gif roflmho.gif roflmho.gif roflmho.gif

#17 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 13:26

http://www.penpedia....e=Viseguy's_Law

There you go Viseguy, you're famous! wink.gif
"Reverend, you will go to heaven with other good people. Even in heaven you be arguing about the various theories of religion. Your arguments will be an obstacle to my meditation. Therefore, I would prefer to got to hell. Then I will be of service to the suffering." ~ Bhante Walpola Piyananda

Posted Image

#18 Viseguy

Viseguy

NYC

• Member - Gold

• 1,770 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 00:51

QUOTE(Quicksilver @ Sep 17 2007, 09:26 AM) View Post

I'm speechless! embarrassed_smile.gif headsmack.gif rolleyes.gif happyberet.gif thumbup.gif bunny01.gif

Thank you, Quicksilver! biggrin.gif
Viseguy

#19 southpaw

southpaw

Museum Piece

• Premium - Emerald

• 5,056 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 18:57

QUOTE(Quicksilver @ Sep 17 2007, 08:26 AM) View Post

cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

#20 Johnson

Johnson

I like fountain pens.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 20:27

You know I have been in this hobby a year, and I have yet to finish a bottle of ink? unsure.gif I'm beginning to think empty ink bottles are a hoax.

Of course the entire cabinet above my stove is full of ink bottles... lticaptd.gif
happiness isn't caused

#21 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 22:21

I have yet to kill my first bottle either, so don't fill bad. (Get it? Get it? FILL bad!)

Posted Image

#22 Judybug

Judybug

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,172 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2007 - 01:32

QUOTE(Viseguy @ Sep 16 2007, 04:14 PM) View Post

In other words: L=Bf/c, where L is bottle life, B is bottle capacity, f is the interval between fills, and c is pen capacity. Viseguy's Law. bunny01.gif

Thanks for putting this in perspective. Let's see - if I live to be 110, I might use up all my ink. wink.gif

Judybug

So many pens, so little time!

Posted Image

My Blog: Bywater Wisdom

#23 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,819 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2007 - 02:00

Yea, when you have 40 bottles of ink, you never seem to empty one unless you tend to favor it. I have been working pretty hard on my bottle of levengers cobalt lately! And I have actually managed to empty two bottles of Parker Penman Sapphire. Oh and one bottle of Waterman Florida blue but half of that was my big spill event! embarrassed_smile.gif

#24 amh210

amh210

Venerable

• Member - Gold

• 1,734 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2007 - 03:02

QUOTE(graceaj @ Sep 16 2007, 05:07 AM) View Post
I'm hoping to get a bottle of Noodler's Ink, but before I do so, I was wondering just how long it lasts. Locally, it costs about US$20 a bottle, and so before I get one, I just want to make sure it won't be gone before I realise it.

It lasts a bit longer if you use a Sheaffer Snorkel or PFM. It's the only pen that can suck that last bit of Noodlers out of the bottle! thumbup.gif
"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA
Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.
For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

#25 Mudge

Mudge

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 03:32

With Noodler's we might have to add a fudge-factor to our equations, since I suspect they actually hold more than 90 mL. Every bottle I've had has been very full when new, to the extent that they need to be opened with some care.

#26 HDoug

HDoug

First Class Forever

• Moderators

• 3,706 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2007 - 03:53

I feel a great sense of accomplishment when I finish a bottle of ink. It's kind of like a "how the time flies" feeling, except I can go look at my journal pages and say to myself, "Wow, you sure are full of meaningless words." But if you use the right ink, at least they look kinda cool...

Doug

#27 fenrisfox

fenrisfox

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:05

QUOTE(jbb @ Sep 16 2007, 07:30 AM) View Post
If you're only filling one pen with this one bottle of ink it seems like it would last a very long time. If you hang out at FPN long enough you'll be filling many, many pens from your drawer full of ink.

(snip)

Hmm, my own twist on this:

You'll be filling your giant chest full of pens from your vault full of ink.

Oh wait, that's only if you're a creature as eternal as the kitsune - or eternal ink. roflmho.gif bunny01.gif

#28 fenrisfox

fenrisfox

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:11

If the bottle gets knocked over, you can skip the rest of the equation - you've already solved for W! roflmho.gif

#29 fenrisfox

fenrisfox

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:14

QUOTE(Viseguy @ Sep 17 2007, 05:51 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Quicksilver @ Sep 17 2007, 09:26 AM) View Post

I'm speechless! embarrassed_smile.gif headsmack.gif rolleyes.gif happyberet.gif thumbup.gif bunny01.gif

Thank you, Quicksilver! biggrin.gif

Think that's great?

It gets better. happyberet.gif

Try putting "Ink" in the box, and hit Go.

You're the only entry!!!!!

Edited by fenrisfox, 22 September 2007 - 09:15.

#30 fenrisfox

fenrisfox

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:19

QUOTE(Mudge @ Sep 18 2007, 08:32 PM) View Post
With Noodler's we might have to add a fudge-factor to our equations, since I suspect they actually hold more than 90 mL. Every bottle I've had has been very full when new, to the extent that they need to be opened with some care.

Hmm, so so do we need a variable "n?" smile.gif

In any case - some folks seem to hate that they're insanely full.

Me? I loved that! smile.gif Made the first couple fills ridiculously easy bunny01.gif