Which MontBlanc pen is this?

SamCapote

This was my first fountain pen that I got in San Francisco about 20 years ago. It seems that I paid $150-200 for this set, but cannot find this style anywhere. The closest is one called Noblesse Oblige, but that has a split clip, like this Ebay link, whereas mine is solid. I have always loved this pen. Although many of you are light years ahead of me in terms of pen experience and knowledge, when I show this to friends, I tell them that it "calls forth writing." I never liked the fatter Meisterstuck line as much. I'm trying to find out which pen model this is....and not sure if there is a website that lists past versions of Montblanc.

(thumbnails)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/MB2s.jpg http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/MB1s.jpg http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/MB3s.jpg

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SamCapote

• Kalessin

• jmkeuning

• PelikanPenman

Top Posters In This Topic

The metal pen bodies, and the shape and design elements are definitely from the Noblesse Oblige series. While I can't find an online reference, I believe the solid clip edition would have been made for engraving a name or initials on the clips.

There are a number of websites that show Mont Blanc models, but they mostly don't have information on the Noblesse Oblige series. Two of my favorites are http://www.fountainpen.de (which has many pictures of past and present MBs) and http://www.maxpens.de (a repair shop site that has pictures of many rare old MB's)

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

My Noblesse Oblige has "Noblesse Oblige" on the cap band. And the clip is definitely different. Oh yeah, mine is plastic body. And my snowflake has a bit of a dome - yours looks flat.

But I am sure there are different versions...

good luck!

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

Thanks for your help. Mine looks to be the same color of deep navy blue as this one, but I notice theirs is 14K Gold on nib, vs. mine which says 18K. Is the difference in gold K purely cosmetic?

Also, do you know what the number on the nib means? This website says # 585 and mine is #750

Also, do you know what the number on the nib means? This website says # 585 and mine is #750

14k = 585, i.e. it is .585 pure

18k = 750 (18/24 = .750)

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

Winston Churchill

Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.

Winston Churchill

14k = 585, i.e. it is .585 pure

18k = 750 (18/24 = .750)

Thanks! Now is it more likely that is cosmetic or does it actually affect nib writing quality if more % gold?

Gold content should not affect actual writing quality, but it does affect how the nib 'feels' to the writer. Nibs with high gold content feel softer and maybe more responsive.

The Noblesse Oblige line is the later generation of the SL/Slimline/Noblesse pens from the mid-late 1970s. The original line started as a step up from the entry-level student-grade Carrera line, and were characterized by very simple lines, all-metal bodies, cartridge/converter filling system. They were originally made mostly in brushed-stainless, black-stainless, matte color, and gold-plated finishes, and often with steel nibs. The later Noblesse Oblige line added colored laquers and more precioius-metal finishes. Mont Blanc constantly fiddled with the designs in the line over the years.

The SL/Slimline/Noblesse (and the related VIP-pen) and later Noblesse Oblige lines are a fairly neglected area of Mont Blanc collecting.. they tend to be much more affordable than the Meisterstuck series (nevermind the exotic vintage pens!), and the brushed-stainless Noblesse that I have is a consistently great writer, even though it has a steel nib.

Edited by Kalessin

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

Thanks for your help. Mine looks to be the same color of deep navy blue as this one, but I notice theirs is 14K Gold on nib, vs. mine which says 18K. Is the difference in gold K purely cosmetic?

That pen in the pic is the one I have too. For those of you in the know - that is the fur pen!

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

I love the Noblesse line. I have an original 70s nickel steel FP that writes like a dream. Nice to hold too. The later lacquer ones are even prettier looking. Congratulations! Great pens!

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>