6 replies to this topic

#1 Keith with a capital K

Keith with a capital K

Illigitemi Non Carborundum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 23:53

We Admins are more than just a bunch of pretty faces... sometimes we have to get down and dirty and make sure everything is working as it should and sometimes make little improvements to how the board operates. In most cases no-one would ever know a change was made but we have done a few significant things this week.

None of the changes were in response to any problems but were more pro-active in nature to prevent any future issues.

1. We disabled the member delete option for topics/posts on the basis that once a topic has been started no-one should have the right to delete that entire topic if other people have contributed their own content.

If you are unhappy with a post there will always be the option to edit the content down to nothing more than a "never mind".

If you should ever start a topic and then have second thoughts about doing so, send one of the admins an e-mail or PM and we can make corrections on your behalf as long as no other content has been added.

2. We set up a few bad word filters and used "George Carlin's 7 Words You Can't Use on Television" as a baseline... we have had no problem whatsoever with any postings to date but are looking ahead to a future when we are most likely going to be visited by the odd troll or two. Denis also has his moments and can swear like a (why would you say that?) sailor so we would not want to expose people to that...LOL

3. We added a few more questions to the individual profile information that people should enjoy answering like "Who is your favourite Admin?" and set a 2 day timer so that anyone with unanswered profile questions will have their membership revoked.

I'm kidding about the favourite Admin and timer bits... ;)

Seriously... go take a look and if you haven't answered any of the questions yet, tell us a little more about yourself.

If you have any questions, ideas, or feedback on these items or have any ideas you would like considered, feel free to contact any member of the Admin team... Denis, Kcat, FC, or myself would be more than happy to assist you in any way possible.

Cheers!

Keith (on behalf of the FPN Admin team)
Please visit http://members.shaw.ca/feynn/
Please direct repair inquiries to capitalpen@shaw.ca

#2 Maja

Maja

Fan of colourful pens

• Admin Hon.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,285 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2004 - 00:33

I think the updates are all good decisions (and I promise to answer the profile questions some day soon :) )

I was just wondering why a person cannot edit his/her post without a "This post has been edited by (X) on (such-and-such date and time)"appearing when they are no other posts after it?

I belong to message boards where the poster can edit stuff (typos, esp.) and as long as no one has posted something *after* this post, there will be no "edited by" data.....I usually wind up having to edit after I use the "Fast Reply" option (which doesn't have a "Preview Post" option). Guess I should use the "Add Reply" option instead, eh?

I'm just curious, because I think a few weeks ago, a person could have edited his/her post without the "This post has been edited..." message coming up :mellow:

Thanks!
Vancouver (B.C) Pen Club (our website)

#3 Keith with a capital K

Keith with a capital K

• Member - Gold

• 1,756 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 04:40

I forgot about that change... we just set the "edited by" setting to autopilot and there is no option for it to to be selective and know if anything has been posted afterwards.

It would seem that the Admins here are the worst spellers as a high percentage of our posts show that editing was done.

In my case it's a matter of being able to blind type most of the time and then sometimes the fingers go on strike and everything gets wacky.

If your posts are ever edited by an Admin or Mod there should be an explanation as to why anything was changed.

Edited by Keith with a capital K, 16 November 2004 - 04:41.

#4 Maja

Maja

Fan of colourful pens

• Admin Hon.

• 6,285 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2004 - 08:10

It would seem that the Admins here are the worst spellers as a high percentage of our posts show that editing was done.

Well, you kind of proved your point in your own post, Keith! :lol:
I had a chuckle at this line at the end of your post:

This post has been edited by Keith with a capital K on Nov 15 2004, 08:41 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.It doesn't bother me, but it just looks kind of weird having that "edited by" message at the end of some of my posts.....

#5 Keith with a capital K

Keith with a capital K

• Member - Gold

• 1,756 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 16:19

Just looking at your post Maja...

I don't recall editing anything, was that cut and pasted in?

#6 Maja

Maja

Fan of colourful pens

• Admin Hon.

• 6,285 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2004 - 09:46

Just looking at your post Maja...

I don't recall editing anything, was that cut and pasted in?

I cut and pasted the line from your post and added the boldface (I couldn't shrink the line down to the original size).....Is there a poltergeist around here? :o :P

#7 Keith with a capital K

Keith with a capital K

• Member - Gold

• 1,756 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 19:15

Maja - The cold meds must be slowing me down...

I figured out that if you cut and pasted my "edit" stamp it would show a different time (-1 hr) since you live across the big pile of rocks.