Waterman Edson Review

TheNobleSavage

Waterman Edson Review

First Impressions

I was always a bit unsure with this pen and because it is a snap cap rather than threaded, it really was put on the back burner. I have a thing against snap caps, or at least at the time, thankfully that no longer prevents me from a pen purchase!!! I saw this pen on the Pen Trace Green Board and the thing that sealed the deal was not only the price but also the fact that it has a factory stub nib. This is something that you normally do not see on Waterman Edson pens; it seems that this was a special order. Also the other reasons for the lowered price was that it was used and had some minor wear on it, you can barely tell!! The other is that the owner said that the pen has a problem with the flow and he would be more than willing to send it to a nib meister for adjustment free of charge. Sheesh, what a deal!! Regardless, the pen will work either way!! I elected to have the pen sent directly to my home of residence and see if I could find out the problem and fix it myself!!

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/859eed6e09.jpg

Initially this pen was designed to commemorate Lewis Edson Waterman, the founder of Waterman Pens and was introduced in the mid 1990's. The Edson is considered Waterman's Flag Ship model and it is easy to understand why!!! Some of the limited releases of the Edson pen was done in different colors such as Emerald Green and Ruby Red and yes, Sapphire Blue. There have been a few limited editions such as the Boucheron which was released in 1996 at a staggering $1500.00 price tag. This is a much sought after pen and is extremely beautiful looking fountain pen. They are becoming so difficult to find that I might say they are quite rare to run across. The Ruby Red and Emerald Green Edson's are also becoming quite difficult to find at a reasonable price. There has been a new Edson release called the "Diamond Black" and it is super sharp looking and I am extremely tempted to buy one in the future. It is black with rhodium trim and it looks like a professional's pen and would look fantastic in a tux or black suit in my opinion!!

Appearance/ Finish 5 out of 5

This Edson is in the Sapphire blue color which is semi translucent and it almost looks like it glows!!! The material that is used on the barrel and section is a resin that is unique to the Edson. It feels a bit "rubbery" but not pliable, kind of a unique feeling, that's for sure. The section is also semi translucent but not to the extent of the barrel. The Cap being metal with a matte finish and the pen highlighted with 23.3 kt gold plated trim gives it a nice looking overall appearance. The clip is spring loaded and seems extremely sturdy and comes in handy when clipping it to your shirt pocket.

All in all, the Edson is a sharp looking pen with a lot of class and looks good in whatever you wear. One major drawback that I find with this pen is the matte finish of the cap. Not to say I don't like the matte finish because I really do!! The main issue is if you scratch the matte finish on the cap, it is next to impossible to remove the scratch without buffing out the matte finish because it will become a glossy finish. Generally, if you are careful with your pens and you store them with care, you really shouldn't have this problem. Unfortunately, if you use this pen as much as I do, then minor scratches do tend to appear. Again, this is minor and if proper care is exercised, then this should not be a major issue!!!

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/d91409cf77.jpg

Design/Size/Weight 5 out of 5

This is indeed an oversized pen with nice girth and pretty heavy due to the amount of metal that the pen is made with. The length of this pen capped is 6 inches while the cap is posted, the length is 6 ¼ inches and the diameter is 9/16. This is no small pen, that's for sure!!! I don't have the exact weight but all I know that it is heavy and is close in weight to a Montblanc 149 with the brass piston, maybe even heavier than the Montblanc!!! I find that this pen is extremely comfortable in the hands while writing but maybe too heavy for others. I heard that the cap should not be posted, which would actually lighten the load on the fingers and hands of the user. Well, I like to post the cap on a majority of my fountain pens, this gives me a nice balance feeling in my hands while I write.

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/0ee1221f79.jpg

This pen is not for everyone due to the weight and the size. That's for sure. I know that the Waterman Carene and the Carene Deluxe are very similar to the Edson in many ways. The Carene Deluxe in the Prussian Blue resembles the Edson in a much smaller package. The Edson is really a perfect size and weight for me and I tend to keep this pen in continuous rotation due to the reliability and comfort it provides in my hand. It is also a really handsome looking fountain pen, which is something that I never thought I would say.

Nib Design and Performance 5 out of 5

What can I say about this nib? It is a factory stub with a unique feed, a feed that is not typical. The nib is made out of monotone gold 18kt gold and is quite thick. They say that this pen is perfect for people who do a lot of airline traveling because the altitude and pressure won't make it leak out ink into the cap. This is something that Waterman has advertised "The Edson's ink feeder system is among the world's most advanced, guaranteed leak-proof to 30,000 feet" and "The fountain pen features a technologically advanced system that has proven itself leak proof against high atmospheric pressure in airplanes. It is a pretty hefty claim that I have yet to prove or disprove but I have not heard anything to the contrary!!! Some have called this a semi hooded nib, I really don't entirely agree with that but at first glance, it looks like the nib is inlaid, like a Sheaffer Legacy or Pen For Men. That is not the case; it is somewhat of an illusion.

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/70ec51ae57.jpg

Well, how does it write? I am sure that is the question on most people's minds!! Well, the nib is like a nail!!! No flex or spring on this bad boy, it indeed writes like a nail!!! It is super stiff and some might be put off by that right off the bat!! For me, there isn't much in the feedback department but that is not a negative thing!!! It writes effortlessly with a nice wet line that writes very close to a 1.0mm to 1.1mm line. For me, I usually go for a bit broader stub, around a 1.3 but lately I have been using a lot of my stubs and italics in the 0.9mm to 1.1mm width. I find that this is a perfect width because it is in the middle of the road. Not too wide and not too fine, it is just perfect!!! The nib is as smooth as glass when writing and for me, that is extremely important. There is a bit of line variation on this nib and it is perfect!!! The edges are not too sharp or too rounded; I find this to be a perfect cut and shape. It is extremely easy to write with because unlike some other cuts, you have to hold the pen just right or you will catch an edge on the paper. That is not the case with the factory stub on this pen!! There was no need for any modification on this pen, which is something quite unusual because 98% of all my pens need some modification for me to be able to write effectively with it. This is due to the very odd angle I hold my pens while I write.

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/dd211f421e.jpg

I have to admit that this is a nib that I judge all others by, due to how smooth it writes and the perfect cut it has. The performance is bar none and there is no way I could ever trade or sell this pen. It is just too perfect for me to part with, that's for sure. Another interesting thing about this nib is that because it is so stiff, I don't have to worry about applying too much pressure to it. The thickness and stiffness of this nib reminds me of the classic Sheaffer pens with the Triumph nibs. They can handle a ton of pressure without it bending and ruining the nib. The only way to really mess up this nib is to play darts with it and there is no way I would ever do that!!! So I have to make sure that I keep this pen out of the reach of my twin 4 ½ year old daughters hands, as I do with all of my pens in my collection!!!

The Filling System 4 out of 5

The filling system on this pen is my least favorite, cartridge converter system. In the pens defense, I don't think there would be any other filling system to take its place. The reason why I say this is because of the weight of the pen. The pen is heavy and if you use a brass piston instead of the cartridge converter system, then it would be very similar to writing with a paperweight. So I really can't take issue with the filling system!!! I also think that the only way this pen can remain leak proof at high altitudes is the use of the cartridge converter system. Earlier in the review I said that I was able to get this pen at a cheaper price due to a possible flow issue. Well, the first thing I did was to switch out the converter with a brand new spare I have in my repair kit. Interestingly enough, the problem was solved!!! I guess all it needed was a new converter!!!

The original converter on this fountain pen is a translucent blue with gold trim, it really is cool looking and it was a shame to have to remove it and install a standard Waterman clear converter with the silver trim. Then it really doesn't matter because it is not a demonstrator and you cannot see the converter unless you unscrew the section from the barrel to fill it up with ink. The Visconti Ink Pot is another fantastic tool to use while filling it up because it is perfect for travel and it fills the pen up to maximum capacity.

Cost 4.5 out of 5

I have to admit that the prices of Edson's are not cheap, to say the least!!! Since I use all of my pens, it was only natural to buy this pen in a user grade. So I spent right around $300.00 for this pen shipped to my doorstep. Brand new, you are looking at the $500.00+ range; I was not willing to spend that amount on this pen. So the amount I paid is a fair deal and I have been extremely happy with my decision. Even $300.00 is steep for some and I don't blame them for thinking so!!! Then again, this is Waterman's Flagship model and with any top tier pen, there is a nice price to pay. The Edson is no exception to the rule!!!

Conclusion

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/fe8d4ffa0f.jpg

In conclusion, this is a top notch pen that was well worth the money I spent on it!! It is a superb writer that is in constant rotation. What else can I say about this pen that I have not already said? This is among my top 5 most used pens in my collection and it is constantly in my 3 pen case and I can guarantee that you can find it every time you look in there. With little to no drawbacks, this is one of the finest pens made today, in my humble opinion!! I think Waterman did their homework and put out a pen that best represents the founder of the Waterman Company. I cannot comment on the other nib widths for the Edson but the factory stub on my pen is one of the finest stub nibs currently available today. The best thing about it is that for me to get a stub/italic/cursive nib that writes this good, I have to either customize it myself or send it to a nib meister to fine tune it, so it writes as smooth and as good as this nib does. Waterman most definitely has a winner on their hands.

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheNobleSavage

• softdown3

• Roz

• ArchiMark

Thanks so much for another great review. A lot of people have recommended the Waterman Edson and it looks like a keeper. With a Nakaya on the way, that doesn't leave room for another expensive pen. At least for now, but I can always add it to the list. Thanks again and beautiful pen,

Oh, great, I could barely afford the Carène and now you're making me want one of these :headsmack:

Can't you find anything horrible and offputting to say about it?

schreibvergnuegen

visit my blog! the teahouse

The Edson is my "fave" modern pen. I have the Ruby, purchased at the LA Pen Show last February. (Also just under $300) Also lightly used. Interestingly, it also had a bit of a flow problem that corrected as I swapped the "ruby red" converter for a standard clear Waterman converter.

TNS, I know your collection of premium pens well, and I'm impressed that you rank the Edson up there near the top. I have only two "premium" modern pens (the other is the Pelikan 1000) and the Edson is best.

Mine is constantly in rotation (currently filled with Pelikan Brilliant Brown) and I travel with it even though I know I'll probably scratch it, mar it, and make it less beautiful. No matter, it is a great pen!

I've a friend with the sterling silver model and it is a beaut!

Andy

"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA

Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.

For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

This is a good review, nicely written and photographed. Thank you.

I have three Edsons, one each in blue, emerald and ruby. Yes, I was fortunate enough to find good buys on all three colors, but that was years ago. I sent all three to Waterman for nib swaps, and I have stub nibs on all three. Why? Because I also think the Waterman factory stub on these pens is first class. I was able recently to find a ruby EF nib/section on the Green Board at a very reasonable price. The EF writes like a well oiled F and I think it is a great nib, too. The stiffness of the nib is good for stub nibs, allowing some line variation. I find I like it with the EF also, but that is my personal taste.

I find I agree with you on every point of your review. Anyone who has not seen one of these pens close up can have no idea how truely lovely they are! The deep, shimmering transluscense of the barrel material is stunning. I also love the size and weight of these pens. It is very interesting for me to read that someone else likes these things as much as I do.

One thing I will add. As I said, I have had my pens for a long while, and I have used them extensively. They are very durable. I have not dropped mine on concrete floors or run them over with an M1A1 Abrahms main battle tank, but I have used them a lot and they have remained beautiful and dependable writers.

I want one of the new black ones. BUT, at current retail prices I will wait my turn for a used one.

I have always loved that blue...if I could find an ink that was that colour once dry...

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

Great review, and thanks!

I have the Edson Diamond Black, and it writes like a dream although the nib is a medium, not a stub. I was originally going to buy the Sapphire Blue, but decided on the Diamond Black because all that gold on the Sapphire Blue looked overwhelming. But now your photos have caused me to reconsider and perhaps buy a Sapphire Blue companion to my Diamond Black, probably this fall. Thanks again for a nice review.

Great review! I really like the sapphire and gold combination. The Edson is going on my short list of Pens I Want.

Yet another excellent review, TNS! The Edson is one sharp looking pen, but, alas, not one for me due to the weight. I found it's smaller cousin too heavy, so the Edson would definitely be out! ENJOY your great pen!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

It is a beauty. Waterman really does the "style" and "performance" thing very well. Well, having gone nuts on pens in the past two months, I won't be buying one of these soon...but I can always dream.

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

Lucky Man!!! I love the looks of the Diamond Black FP. To me, it really is classy looking. That pen is on my "to buy queue" especially if I can find it with the factory stub!!!

TNS

Great review, and thanks!

I have the Edson Diamond Black, and it writes like a dream although the nib is a medium, not a stub. I was originally going to buy the Sapphire Blue, but decided on the Diamond Black because all that gold on the Sapphire Blue looked overwhelming. But now your photos have caused me to reconsider and perhaps buy a Sapphire Blue companion to my Diamond Black, probably this fall. Thanks again for a nice review.

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

I too, agree that the Waterman stubs are first rate. They are not for everyone due to the fact that they are quite rigid and stiff. Regardless, the line variation is fantastic and the nib is super smooth. If I do get a Diamond Black Edson, I would have to send it back for them to put on a factory stub!!!

You are a lucky man to have the Edson in the Emerald and Ruby, they are so cool looking!!!

TNS

This is a good review, nicely written and photographed. Thank you.

I have three Edsons, one each in blue, emerald and ruby. Yes, I was fortunate enough to find good buys on all three colors, but that was years ago. I sent all three to Waterman for nib swaps, and I have stub nibs on all three. Why? Because I also think the Waterman factory stub on these pens is first class. I was able recently to find a ruby EF nib/section on the Green Board at a very reasonable price. The EF writes like a well oiled F and I think it is a great nib, too. The stiffness of the nib is good for stub nibs, allowing some line variation. I find I like it with the EF also, but that is my personal taste.

I find I agree with you on every point of your review. Anyone who has not seen one of these pens close up can have no idea how truely lovely they are! The deep, shimmering transluscense of the barrel material is stunning. I also love the size and weight of these pens. It is very interesting for me to read that someone else likes these things as much as I do.

One thing I will add. As I said, I have had my pens for a long while, and I have used them extensively. They are very durable. I have not dropped mine on concrete floors or run them over with an M1A1 Abrahms main battle tank, but I have used them a lot and they have remained beautiful and dependable writers.

I want one of the new black ones. BUT, at current retail prices I will wait my turn for a used one.

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

I remember you gettting the ruby color edson. My dad was so envious, especially at the price you got it for, thats for sure!!! The ruby is really a cool looking color and red is my Pop's favorite color for pens, for me it is blue or black but either color for an Edson looks fantastic!!!

I also have mine constantly inked with either PR DCSS Blue, American Blue or Waterman Florida Blue ink. Yes, eventually it will get a bit scratched up but there are several people out there that can make her look like new. Especailly with the matte finish on the Cap, there are plenty out there that can remove the scratches and rematte the cap, thankfully!!!

TNS

The Edson is my "fave" modern pen. I have the Ruby, purchased at the LA Pen Show last February. (Also just under $300) Also lightly used. Interestingly, it also had a bit of a flow problem that corrected as I swapped the "ruby red" converter for a standard clear Waterman converter.

TNS, I know your collection of premium pens well, and I'm impressed that you rank the Edson up there near the top. I have only two "premium" modern pens (the other is the Pelikan 1000) and the Edson is best.

Mine is constantly in rotation (currently filled with Pelikan Brilliant Brown) and I travel with it even though I know I'll probably scratch it, mar it, and make it less beautiful. No matter, it is a great pen!

I've a friend with the sterling silver model and it is a beaut!

Andy

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Great review TNS. The Edson has been on my wish list for sometime now :drool:

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money.

- Cree Indian Proverb

I love the look of the nib and I'd adore the size, but I think the monochromatic Carenes have spoiled me for metal caps.