Mobile pen and paper storage

rmccarty4

Anyone have a favorite briefcase or bag that they want to trumpet about? My wife keeps telling me to replace the black nylon computer backpack that saw me through 4 years of B-school*. Well, it is looking a bit tired, and if she insists...

I need something that can carry a laptop, power converter, maybe a mini-stapler, a flash drive, a 6' ethernet cable, a book or two, my notebooks, a few magazines, several printouts of slide decks and requirements documents, and of course, at least a few pens. Something grown-up -- I prefer tan leather. Something masculine, but not belligerent (think BMW 540, not a Hummer).

For the longest time, I've lusted after these exquisite bags from Glaser Designs (no affiliation, just desire to own something so choice. They have to be seen, touched, and smelled to be believed.). However, they are... pricey. And I need the money for pens & ink, right? So I've also thought about some of the Levenger cases.

Tell me about your bag, your husband's/boyfriend's/POSSLQ's bag, or that bag you or your husband or boyfriend or POSSLQ has been thinking about. I want to know.

* It was a part-time MBA program, so yeah, it took me four years. Well, you try working 50 hrs a week, going to business school at night, and staying married. On second thought, I can't recommend that to anyone.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shelley

• rmccarty4

• Tojusi

• Anne-Sophie

This may go in the "Hummer" category: Tumi Generation 4.4 Expandable Organizer Computer Brief.

It fits everything you mention and then some. In fact, I have even managed to pack in (in addition to usual laptop + accessories + work papers) two extra shirts, underwear/socks and overnight hygiene kit so as to take a two-night business trip abroad.

/Tojusi

edited to correct a lower case letter to upper case.

Edited by Tojusi

I love the high quality of Tom Bihn bags:

Tom Bihn Bags

I'd recommend reading their forums to see how others use their bags to get an idea of which one might be a good 'fit' for you.

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

No leather here but.. take a look at Tom Bihn

Made in the U.S.A quality briefcases and backpacks

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Anyone have a favorite briefcase or bag that they want to trumpet about? My wife keeps telling me to replace the black nylon computer backpack that saw me through 4 years of B-school*. Well, it is looking a bit tired, and if she insists......Tell me about your bag, your husband's/boyfriend's/POSSLQ's bag, or that bag you or your husband or boyfriend or POSSLQ has been thinking about. I want to know.

I've had two bags that have stood up to much in my career. The first was an aluminum Remington gun case that I removed the foam inserts to find that it had briefcase stuff inside. I used it when I worked offshore as it was a poorman's zero case. It once dropped off of a man basket onto the deck of a boat below and survived! If that's a little too industrial :ltcapd: then the other might be better...

The second is a Land's end briefcase that I have had for 12 years now. It's been a great case that can be filled with lots of papers and stuff as it is soft sided. Now when I say 12 years that is not completely true because they have replaced it twice since it has a true lifetime guarentee.

K

Edited by Tytyvyllus

I really like my RoadWired Megamedia bag. I've got an old version that was made during their collaboration days with Travelpro, but the one they're making and selling now is just as good if not better. They also make a leather version. They'll hold EVERYTHING you own.

And you'll still have space!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

I have a bag from REI, it has worked great for me, it is a blue padded messenger/computer bag with a padded strap. It has three penholders and an external pocket that holds boxes of ink cartridges perfectly :), it is bigger than it looks from the outside and I have put in it a 1.5" binder, an A4 notebook, an 8.5"x11" notebook, a text book, several compisition(sp?) books, a pencil case and a planner.

Its a tough call, I posted a similar thread in chatter, if you find it you can see answers but try Tusting, Levenger and Renaissance-art.com.

I think if you want a nice leather one, you will have to put off your next pen purchase, or three, for a good one. However I imagine that a good leather one will last you a lifetime, then again you could always get a good non-leather one and replace as needed-depends wherther you want to wear in or wear out, if you get my meaning.

Also think about the size of laptop you have, and whether you actually tote it with you...if you are a serious laptop user you may consider a dedicated hard shell type version, maybe with wheels etc, that way will never get damaged, if you are more like a casual, mostly paper, but once in a while need more sort of guy then a good bag plus a dedicated laptop foam cover might be a better option, but let us know what you choose-i am still looking!

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

You might want to consider the Uncle Mike's Briefcase. They are black cordura, but are very durable, have lots of storage compartments of various sizes and are masculine looking. Removing the hidden holster (it is attached with velcro) gives even more room to store stuff, especially handy for carrying maps and such. Best of all, they can be found for under $25 - dirt cheap compared to most other briefcases. The Uncle Mike's briefcase does not have internal velcro straps for securing a notebook PC, but I have carried my notebook around in one with no ill effects.

If you really, really want leather, and are willing to pay around $150-200, then try Wilson's Leather. Most of their briefcases are black, but they do have at least tan/brown one online. Although I have never owned one of these, the ones they had in the store seemed to be good quality.

Its a tough call, I posted a similar thread in chatter, if you find it you can see answers but try Tusting, Levenger and Renaissance-art.com.

I think if you want a nice leather one, you will have to put off your next pen purchase, or three, for a good one. However I imagine that a good leather one will last you a lifetime, then again you could always get a good non-leather one and replace as needed-depends wherther you want to wear in or wear out, if you get my meaning. plus a dedicated laptop foam cover might be a better option, but let us know what you choose-i am still looking!

OK, you are no help at all.:rolleyes: OTOH, we have obviously felt the same pangs of indecision. Someone mentioned Tom Bihn bags above, and I'm looking pretty hard at their Empire Builder bag. Someone else mentioned RoadWare's MegaMedia bag, which does come in leather, but... it just has too many pockets (33!); I'd put stuff in half of them, & forget what's there. I'm not a fastidious person, but I am scatterbrained - for me, it's not that everything doesn't have its place, it's just that several kinds of things have the same place. Namely, shoved in to a nice, big pocket in my bag where I can get to it without opening a bunch of zippers. HOWEVER -- RoadWare's Skooba Satchel could be the ticket, too. I may end up ordering both & returning one of them. Unless I find a leather bag I can't live without...

Also think about the size of laptop you have, and whether you actually tote it with you...if you are a serious laptop user you may consider a dedicated hard shell type version, maybe with wheels etc, that way will never get damaged, if you are more like a casual, mostly paper, but once in a while need more sort of guy then a good bag

I tote my laptop ALL THE TIME. It comes home from work every night & goes back every morning. It comes with me to meetings, of which I have from four to ten on any given day, some in different buildings (ubiquitous wireless networking is awesome). I appreciate the recommendation... but I am not doing the wheeled thing, and a hard case... actually, it just never occurred to me.

Edited by rmccarty4

OK, you are no help at all.:rolleyes: OTOH, we have obviously felt the same pangs of indecision. Someone mentioned Tom Bihn bags above, and I'm looking pretty hard at their Empire Builder bag. Someone else mentioned RoadWare's MegaMedia bag, which does come in leather, but... it just has too many pockets (33!); I'd put stuff in half of them, & forgot what's there. I'm not a fastidious person, but I am scatterbrained - for me, it's not that everything doesn't have its place, it's just that several kinds of things have the same place. Namely, shoved in to a nice, big pocket in my bag where I can get to it without opening a bunch of zippers. HOWEVER -- RoadWare's Skooba Satchel could be the ticket to. I may end up ordering both & returning one of them. Unless I find a leather bag I can't live without...

I'm currently using a Bihn Empire Builder bag with an Absolute shoulder strap and have been very happy with it. The build quality is top notch - virtually bulletproof. I was surprised how much room was available in the bag and yet, you could keep things pretty organized. The main compartment has enough room for both my computers (a Macbook Pro and a Dell D420) that are in brain cell slips, and there is still enough room for notepads, and a few folders that are about 1/2 inch thick. I put my power cords in a snake charmer pack and that goes on the top of my stuff in the main compartment. One compartment in the front is closed via the front flap so you can quickly get your stuff. The compartment also has 2 vertical pockets that are perfect for PDAs an iPod or in my case, a Levenger 4-pen parpet. There is also a second large front pocket that is zippered. On the back, there is also a compartment that can be opened from the bottom so you can slip it on your luggage handle when you are traveling. I still carry my leather Tumi if I need a more "formal" brief, but the Bihn is definitely an awesome everyday bag.

Hmm, well I must say that the Megamedia bag in leather looks like it would well be the deal then, I mean with a beast that size and with 36 pockets you would never be lost for anything, laptop-check, extra bottle of ink-check, torch-check, spare cable-check, book, docs, food, clothes-check check check.

You would be well equiped and well organised, might even be able to fit in an extra meeting during your day...

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

This may go in the "Hummer" category: Tumi Generation 4.4 Expandable Organizer Computer Brief.

It fits everything you mention and then some. In fact, I have even managed to pack in (in addition to usual laptop + accessories + work papers) two extra shirts, underwear/socks and overnight hygiene kit so as to take a two-night business trip abroad.

/Tojusi

I have this, too (with the "ballistic nylon"). It's a really great bag!

I highly recommend it.

I've been a very satisfied user of an older version of the Eagle Creek Laptop Brief. I think my old version might have a few more FP friendly partitions though. All my luggage has been Eagle Creek since my weekly travel required a genuine lifetime warranty. Well made, and they stand behind it 100%. :thumbup:

Wayne

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant

I really like my RoadWired Megamedia bag. I've got an old version that was made during their collaboration days with Travelpro, but the one they're making and selling now is just as good if not better. They also make a leather version. They'll hold EVERYTHING you own.

And you'll still have space!

Laptop Travel (www.laptoptravel.com) has the bag for $149.95, rather than the usual $179.95. Luggage Point (www.LuggagePoint.com) has it for $161.95 due to a 110% pricematch. If they would do that for the $149.95 bag, cost would go down to $134.95.

As usual, I am unfortunately for myself, not affiliated with any of the abovementioned companies. Just a nearly terminal additiction to bargain hunting.

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

I've had good luck buying from eBags. Their return policy is top-notch, with free return shipping. And their own line of bags are very nice, too. Functional, not too flashy; the only thing I'd change would be the high-visibility orange interior, but I can live with it. Well-made, and fairly inexpensive. After returning about half a dozen very popular, highly-rated satchels and laptop carriers and such, I tried the eBags laptop shoulder-bag, and wound up keeping it and using it for five years. Last year I realized that I'd never actually carry a laptop in it, and I was tired of it being slightly off-kilter because of that, so I bought an eBags messenger satchel thingy, and it's every bit as good. And it was only about $40.00, as opposed to $100-$200 for the better-known brands.

No affiliation, etc. Just a satisfied (and surprised) customer. :)

Oh, and as for carrying capacity, both bags regularly carried about fifty pounds of books. Plenty of room to stuff half an office in them. :)

I am actually going to start looking at camera bags because they are padded, have some kind of customizable features plus you can carry them with a shoulder strap. It is not a purse it is a camera bag so it isn't feminine.

Before you judge someone walk a mile in their shoes. Then if you still judge them you will have a headstart and they will be barefoot.

I've been a very satisfied user of an older version of the Eagle Creek Laptop Brief.

I followed the above link to take a peek: when looking at the "inside views" of the bag, I noticed that they had inserted a Mount Blanc pen as a prop in both pictures.

/Tojusi

I use the Tom Bihn ID, good combination of size and capacity. I really like the two microfiber storage pockets and the front flap pocket is just the right size to hold my Renaissance Art pocket Moleskine journal. I use the Absolute Shoulder strap which helps distribute the weight when I'm carrying a lot of stuff.

Waterfield also makes good bags and are worth checking out.