Preferred Pens

penviolino

Out of the two choices given, which pen company do you prefer?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Out of the two choices given, which pen company do you prefer?

• Montblanc
    • Pelikan

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blade Runner

• Titivillus

• chris burton

• M4R1N4

Enjoy this poll: B)

A few other choices might be helpful.;) since my favorite 5 pens are not made by either manufacturer:D

Unless that is you are trying to decide between these two manufacturers for a purchase.

K H

I prefer Pelikan any day over Montblanc. :)9

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

Despite not currently owning any Montblanc's, I still voted for Pelikan. This may be unfair, but based on my satisfaction with my M200 and noting that across the board, everybody seems to enjoy theirs, coupled with the fact that Pelikan makes pens across all price ranges that have been tried and tested more than satisfactorily, I stand by my vote.

(This may not be my favourite brand, however. ;) )

You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes... you just might find... you'll get what you need...

This poll is interesting, because it’s hard to choose. My biggest disappointments were with MB, but I wasn’t always happy with Pelikan. I think I like Pelikan better because it’s less a luxury brand: in spite of some Toledo’s (and sim.) Pelikans basically are working men’s pen, and very reliable.

I only have one Mont Blanc and it is an older Meisterstuck 149 so I cannot comment on the other models. I love my 149, it is a smooth writer that fits wonderfully in my hand.

Now as for Pelikans, I have:

one M75 GO

one M150

Four M200

two M400

one 400NN

one M600

one M1000

I absolutly love my Pelikans and they have been a personal favorite of mine. Pelikan has been the first real quality fountain pen I have bought. It has been an addiction up until I have tried different brands but Pelikan is like "ol fathful". I never have to worry about a problem with my Pelikans. As soon as I uncap them, they are ready to write with no hesitation!!!

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

I wasn't going to vote because I have no Mont Blanc, but then I saw that the poll was about which pen company is preferred.

I had to vote for Pelikan because I appreciate that they offer well made piston fillers that I can afford (at least occasionally I can afford them! :D) I know of nothing comparable that Mont Blanc offers.

Best, Ann

That is a hard one.

Personally, I prefer a good, simple, honest Pelikan, value for money and what not, but I do admire the marketing savvy of Montblanc. As a company, Montblanc probably makes much more of their brand name than Pelikan does.

So, I don't know...

Warm regards, Wim

Edited by wimg

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

I can't pick one brand over the other as a broad generalization. MB tends to have cooler special/limited editions than Pel does, but Pel's standard Souverans attract me more than standard Meisterstucks. Sorry, I can't choose that simply. :-)

And I didn't have the heart to tell her why.
And there wasn't a part of me that didn't want to say goodbye.

... but it isnt even in the same league as the 146.

Allan

That's true a Pelikan M800 is far superior to a MB 146 and for less making it not only a quality pen but an affordable & cost effective writing instrument. ;)

To amplify. From another post you indicate your displeasure with Pelikan stems from a M400 in tortoise. I seem to remember alot of people commenting on the fit and function of this pen. I would hope that it was an anomoly associated with that particular series. I have used and sent back 400 series because it did not seem to be of the same quality as the 800 and above. But I don't know which MB pen I could compare to a M400 as I don't think they make any, well maybe the Nobliese ( which is a converter compared to integral piston filler and a plethora of nibs for the Pelikan with the big 3 for the MB).

Comparing a 146 to a 400 isn't really a fair comparison better to get your hands on a m800 then compare to the legrande.

Edited by Tytyvyllus

• 5 months later...

I have four Pelikans and two Mont Blancs. I love the MB pens, but if I had to choose, I'd keep my Pelikans.

Larry

If someone were to offer me two Meisterstucks, the 149 and 146 versus two Pelikan Souverans, 1000 and 800, I'd choose the Meisterstucks. I prefer the torpedo shape and do not like metal trim next to the nib.

I also favor MontBlanc company wide, because they provide a much wider variety of pen designs and materials for their higher end pens.

And in regards limited editions, Montblanc's are very different from each other, In contrast, many of Pelikan's limited editions are essentially the basic Souveran chassis with different color patterns or a superficial embellishment. I admire Montblanc's greater creative effort.

J

I have one MontBlanc (Solitaire Doue, verrry pretty!) and NO Pelikans, so my vote was easy.

I do want to get a Pelikan though. Just gotta save up some bucks!

"By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher. "

- Socrates

Let's see... I have a bunch of each. For me, the real answer is it depends on the moment because I like 'em both a lot! I started collecting Montblancs, so I have more of them than any other brand. However, I enjoy using my Pelikan M4x and 6x a great deal, too. I have my M400 White Tortoise in my shirt pocket as I'm typing this. They're both great writing instruments in my opinion.

I have one MontBlanc (Solitaire Doue, verrry pretty!) and NO Pelikans, so my vote was easy.

I do want to get a Pelikan though. Just gotta save up some bucks!

Which Solitaire, may I ask?

Any special story attatched to acquiring that pen?

J