14 replies to this topic

#1 nhsmitty

nhsmitty

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:37

I bought a Sheaffer's pencil today. It's a green and translucent mother of pearl with a red stipe running throughout the green and MOP. I cannot post pics for another week. Any pics available on FPN or on the internet where I might be able to compare?

Also, she's mighty hard to turn to extend the lead. Original lead in the pencil I guess, I haven't replaced. How can I remedy the hard turning? And how does one replace lead in this pencil? I'm barely familiar with FP's and certainly not familiar with mechanical pencils.

#2 sheafferkid

sheafferkid

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:48

It sounds like a red veined grey pearl Balance pencil. The grey can sometimes fade to a greenish color. I'll try and find some pics for you in a minute, but I think I could address the problem with the pencil. Sometimes old lead will get stuck in the mechanism of the pencil, which can be a challenge to get out. I'd keep trying to twist and try and expel the old lead. To replace the lead, you would twist the pencil until the lead comes out and you see a tiny little metal pin stick out from the tip of the pencil. Then turn it all the way back in until you can twist any more, get some 9mm lead and stick it into the tip of the pencil. There should be quite a bit of lead sticking out of the pencil (approx .75 cm)(if you have the same length as Sheaffer's used; if not then twist the pencil out some until you get about..ehh, .75 cm out.) Then press the lead down firmly on a hard surface until it pushes in and makes a click sound. That sound is the lead being seated into the clutch. Now you are ready to write. Hope this helps.

Evan
Sheaffer all the way!

#3 sheafferkid

sheafferkid

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:04

Ahh, I found one off of David I's website (thanks David!) Does this pattern look moderately close to your pencil? Hope this helps!

Evan

Attached Images

• grey.redveined_balance_set.jpg

Sheaffer all the way!

#4 nhsmitty

nhsmitty

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:07

Thanks for the quick reply!

The lead in the pencil will extend, it's just that the mechanism to turn the lead out is hard the turn. This has been a problem with the pencil for a while as I have best luck with removing the upper portion (with the pocket clip) of the pencil and turning the mechanism. I say it's been a problem for a while because the slip "cap" is not gripping the rotaing mechanism properly and feels as if someone has been trying to twist the lead out and the "cap" has been rotating on a stiff mechanism and now almost stripped, not fitting properly. Hope that makes sense.

#5 nhsmitty

nhsmitty

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:13

That's it!!

The one I have is missing the metal band between the upper portion and the body. I assume it is supposed to be on the body of the pencil. Mine has a gap in that area. Also, the one in the pic seems to have a metal cap on the upper portion, mine doesn't and doesn't look as if there ever was.

Thanks for the pic. That's definitely the pencil I have except for the things I mentioned.

#6 nhsmitty

nhsmitty

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:34

Am I correct in my research that this pencil is from 1931-1935?

Here I am making multiple posts behind myself. roller1.gif

Nothing wrong with a bit of excitement.

Is this worth having repaired to working condition? Would I have any luck replacing the spacer?

Is this plastic or another material?

#7 sheafferkid

sheafferkid

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 21:29

Yes, your pen is from approximately those years. Not all models had a gold cap ring, only some (is that what you meant by a spacer?) The material these pens were made out of is called celluloid. It is a very flammable plastic. It can also discolor due to the sulfur dioxide gas given off by rubber (occurs in pens, though.) Anyways, if it were my pencil, I would get it repaired.

Evan
Sheaffer all the way!

#8 jirish1957

jirish1957

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 22:32

Any recommendations on folks who repair pencils?

#9 sheafferkid

sheafferkid

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 22:43

Not here...whenever I get a broken mechanical pencil, I try and find a working mechanism to replace it with.

Evan
Sheaffer all the way!

#10 nhsmitty

nhsmitty

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:32

I'm calling the metal band around the middle of the pencil a spacer. Proper terminology escapes me.

I know it will be a "pen show," but maybe I can take it to the NC pen show for someone to take a look and possible repair?

Celluloid, huh? I knew it felt different. A good different and one of the reasons I bought it.

What's the possible value of this pencil? It's not mint, of course, but I don't want to invest more money in it for repair than it might be worth. It's usable and fun to look at as-is, still I'd like to see it in the best cosmetic and mechanical condition possible.

#11 sheafferkid

sheafferkid

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:35

Well, grey and red veined Balances are an uncommon color, so that would boost the price from just an ordinary Balance pencil. But honestly, I really don't know the value. Maybe David I. (David! That's your queue!) can chime in for this one (or any other Sheaffer guy for that matter!)

Evan
Sheaffer all the way!

#12 penpalace

penpalace

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2007 - 16:08

QUOTE(nhsmitty @ May 15 2007, 02:32 AM) View Post
I'm calling the metal band around the middle of the pencil a spacer. Proper terminology escapes me.

I know it will be a "pen show," but maybe I can take it to the NC pen show for someone to take a look and possible repair?

Celluloid, huh? I knew it felt different. A good different and one of the reasons I bought it.

What's the possible value of this pencil? It's not mint, of course, but I don't want to invest more money in it for repair than it might be worth. It's usable and fun to look at as-is, still I'd like to see it in the best cosmetic and mechanical condition possible.

Someone can certainly help you out at the NC pen show, I was thinking of attending myself but decided it was a little far to go. Just so you know some of these pencils did have metal bands, others did not. If there is a gap it may just be that the plastic has shrunk (quite common on Sheaffer Pencils like this).

Value certainly depends on size, colour and condition. If the mechanism can be fixed or replaced it certainly increases the value. I would say if it's a standard size with a gap, and when fixed would be in the $40-50 range. Of course if it's a larger size or the colour is incredible it will enhance the value. Pencils certainly are a nice thing to have, I think I'm not alone here on this Sheaffer form as being a collector who does try and find matching pencils to my pens (and pens to pencils). Sets are always a great thing to have.

Pearce.

#13 nhsmitty

nhsmitty

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:55

I bought a copy of Fountian Pens Past and Present last night and didn't take an in-depth look until after signing off from the forum. There are a couple of pics in the book of similar pencils without the band and showing a gap like my pencil. This makes me happy to know a part is not missing and now it's just a matter of getting it on working order.

Thanks, sheafferkid and penpalace for your input!

#14 jirish1957

jirish1957

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 23:52

FYI the gap may very well be shrinking plastic (not easily fixed) but it never hurts to make sure that you don't have an old eraser jammed in the end. Jeff

Edited by jirish1957, 17 May 2007 - 19:26.

#15 sheafferkid

sheafferkid

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 02:27

Jeff is very right about the eraser stuck in the end of the cap. That happened to me and I literally had to drill out the old eraser (no harm done to pencil biggrin.gif .) It was not easy though; it took me quite a while to get it out. But it did come out and now my Balance pencil is back to normal.

Evan
Sheaffer all the way!