Graduation pen

smudgy

Hi,

I tried to resist posting this question, and hoped instead that I could make the decision myself, but I give in. So here I am again asking for the collective wisdom of FPN. After saying that I wouldn't buy any more pens for a while, I find myself with $300 to spend in graduation gift money, and thought I might as well use it all toward a modern FP that I would otherwise never be able to afford without serious saving. I just can't decide which! I am looking for some serious eye candy, but of course something that writes so well that I will want to use it all the time. Here's my ideas so far - any input, good or bad, about any of these will be much appreciated.

Stipula Novacentro Aqua, Duetto, or Erutria 991

(I kind of want to try a Stipula, after reading too many of Wim's raves! The 991 looks interesting, but kind of big?)

Pelikan Piazza Navona (although I REALLY want an Athens, seems that that would be an impossibility - the PN is really pretty, too, though)

Delta Passion (probably the last one I'd choose, since I just recently bought a 366)

Any others to suggest - just to make the decision even HARDER??

Vanessa

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smudgy

• wimg

• RSVP

• southpaw

Top Posters In This Topic

Smudgy,

Congrats on your graduation present. What a tough choice!!! I have no recommendations, as pens in that range are purely the stuff of dreams. Enjoy the decision and your new fp :) ,

southpaw

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Guest Denis Richard

I have the strange feeling that a crazy someone from a rather flat land will scream Erutria... :lol:

Hi Denis,

I have the strange feeling that a crazy someone from a rather flat land will scream Erutria... :lol:

Funny isn't it? I think a crazy someone from the most hilly part of a rather flat land will scream ETRURIA, certainly not Erutria... :lol:

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Guest Denis Richard
Hi Denis,

Funny isn't it? I think a crazy someone from the most hilly part of a rather flat land will scream ETRURIA, certainly not Erutria... :lol:

Warm regards, Wim

At least one of us has an accent... that must be it ! :lol:

Hi Vanessa,

Let me make it easier for you, rather than harder :D.

The Etrurias are about the same size as a Pelikan M800, so slightly bigger than the Pel PN, but the sections or gripping areas vary quite a bit. Where the Amber pistonfillers (not the big piston converter) has a straight, fat section, wider than a Pel M800, the piston converter models have a section that narrows in a gracious curve towards the nib, and than flare a little bit again, thus creating a stop to prevent your fingers from slipping onto the nib. The section is therefore thinner, probably about the thickness of an M400 or M600 (a little thicker than an M200).

Typical to the 991 is that the edge I am talking about, is chamfered off again a little, which makes it unique amongst Etrurias as far as I know. Taking into account the absolutely stunning celluloid (which makes it light) this pen is made off, the nib choices available, and the once of a lifetime chance to get an Etruria big piston converter LE at a ridiculously low price (even including shipping > 30% less than the best price I got my first one for in the US), I think there is really no alternative. :D

Go for the Etruria 991. And if you want a second opinion, ask Roger :D.

Warmest regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

My "recommendations" are very strongly derived from my own list:

- Auroloid Optima Aurora

- Conway Stewart in your favorite stunning color. If you don't want any of the big three (Churchill, 100, Duro), then nice 58 should do.

- Sheaffer Legacy Sterling Silver

Go for the Etruria 991. And if you want a second opinion, ask Roger

Hmmmm. Well, Roger? :)

I just realized that if I order from a certain site, I could get both the Pelikan AND another, less expensive pen that I've been eyeing, and still stay on my budget. I don't want to disclose more information than that because I think certain prices on this website are unadvertised for a reason, but that might be a reason NOT to go with the Stipula... then again, I could get that less expensive pen LATER... aaack!

What about how it writes, Wim? Well, obviously, you must think they write well, but in comparison to Pelikan, for example...?

Stylo, thanks for the added ideas. I like your CS idea best - another one to mull over... the only one of those I can afford with my budget is the 58, though, and surprisingly, I didn't see any of those that really jumped up and screamed "buy ME!"

edit: why can't I find a picture of the Stipula 991 unposted, with the cap next to it and not covering the nib? I can only find pictures that show the pen either posted or closed.

Edited by smudgy

Vanessa

Mmmmm, missed the CS Dandy, which I CAN afford, and which has colors that I DO like...

Too many choices. :bonk: Maybe I should just look at ipods. :lol:

Vanessa

Mmmmm, missed the CS Dandy, which I CAN afford, and which has colors that I DO like... 

Too many choices.  :bonk: Maybe I should just look at ipods.  :lol:

Colors?

Just a little bit more of confusing choices, then. I think these Lalex are irresistible...

http://www.giardino.it/prove/IMMAGINI/LalexST.jpg

Susanna
----------
Giardino Italiano, il meglio del Made in Italy - www.giardino.it - www.pens.it

My Facebook page
My Blog: blog.giardino.it

Looks like Novelli may have them in...Athens.

I bought mine in about January and there were loads on eBay, now there are none (and none in recent history either). I was thinking of selling it but I might not now.

J B)

I drooled over the Signum Orione at the New England Pen Show last month:

http://www.richardspens.com/?page=newp_sig.htm

The nibs were unbelievable, just unbelievable. Like wet velvet. It's the only high-end modern pen I would be interested in getting, myself.

Of course, iPods are cool, too. :) I've got a green mini.

ElaineB

Uh oh... more choices. :)

That Signum is really pretty in the teal and gold colors. UCI's colors are blue and gold (or yellow), although I'm not sure I want my choice driven by matching school colors. But it's sure is pretty! And I've been wanting a yellowy pen, too...

I don't know about the Lalex, though. I like the colors, but I don't really care for the design of the pen. The colors are beautiful! Even the orange - and I'm hard to please with orange.

Thanks, Rimmerjar, for the site that shows the Athens- I emailed them about availability, but have heard nothing back. I don't blame you for wanting to hang onto it - seems that that particular color is much desired and hard to find!

Still mulling over Stipula, too - the Duetto. Anyone have one or written with one? I just love the Seaweed Green color. :wub: But it has a titanium nib, and weren't some people not happy with Stipula's titanium nibs on another pen (the 22, I think)?

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions!

Vanessa

Just heard back from that website (novelli.it) about the Athens:

Thank you for contacting me. I'll receive the Athens in about 2 days, and I

can offer it you with F,M and B nibs. My best price is Euro 295.00 + Euro

20.00 for shipment (or Euro 15 in case you are located in Europe) = Euro

Which works out to about $382 in USD! :o Out of my range, but thought I'd pass this along so that a) rimmerjar can see what the going price is at this site for the pen HE has in his possession! and so that b ) anyone else who REALLY wants one and can afford that price can learn where to get it. :)

Vanessa

*Shocked* Wow, that must have been a good call, I bought it (from Germany) on ebay, from a seller who had quite a few for sale (all new). I payed £115..according to xe.com That's $209.

*Shocked*

James

Hi Vanessa,

Go for the Etruria 991. And if you want a second opinion, ask Roger

What about how it writes, Wim? Well, obviously, you must think they write well, but in comparison to Pelikan, for example...?

Umm, yes... What can I say? I don't particularly think Pelikans write very nicely, even though I have 4. The best writer out of the box is a Pelikan Go! in my opinion, when it comes to Pelikans. The reason for this is that the ones I own are dry writers, with the exception of the special nibs from RB or my own.

Now, Stip nibs are medium, or medium -> wet writers. Also they are quite springy. Their italic nibs are marvelous. All in all, they all give a very pleasurable writing experience. Very sensitive, very tactile. I love them for this reason. It does mean you need to maintain them well, check them every so often, and possibly align tines, but the experience is the best of any pens/nibs I own or owned.

Now, if you're talking the best writers, I personally think Waterman, especially the models with the toughest nail like nibs. There is no other pen I have come across that allows you to write as fast, in my opinion. I'm talking Waterman Liaison, Carène and Edson here. True workhorse pens, that look pretty too.

Etrurias are in my opinion a totally different breed. They are all hand turned and assembled, therefore very unique, individual pieces. Add to this their wonderful, tactile, springy nibs, and it makes for a gutsy, buoyant, artsy statement, both when writing or admiring. It just feels right, somehow. But never a workhorse, always a thoroughbred.

edit:  why can't I find a picture of the Stipula 991 unposted, with the cap next to it and not covering the nib?  I can only find pictures that show the pen either posted or closed.

I have noticed that too :D. Well, I faked one :D. Here it is:

http://fp.vandebilt.net/pics/stips/composite04.jpg

Wam regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Oooh Oooh... what about the one on the end...

Pens

$225 for sterling silver. The black one is made by Pelikan (800 size) so the others may be too.

J

Etrurias are in my opinion a totally different breed. They are all hand turned and assembled, therefore very unique, individual pieces. Add to this their wonderful, tactile, springy nibs, and it makes for a gutsy, buoyant, artsy statement, both when writing or admiring. It just feels right, somehow. But never a workhorse, always a thoroughbred.

Tell us how you really feel, Wim. :lol:

Thank you for your thoughtful and passionate reply - quite obvious that you love these pens. I'm sure that they are wonderful, but I am still not sure that they are a good choice for me, just based on what you said: a dry writer would probably be a good thing for me - and I'm sure you wouldn't need three tries to guess why. You say that the Etrurias are medium to medium wet. Have you ever tried a fine nib with these? That's probably what I would need to get. Also, while it might be fun to have an interesting, responsive nib, I am kind of looking for the workhorse rather than the thoroughbred. Heck - where's my mule? :lol: I want something that can tolerate being used extensively and being put through its paces, and by someone who knows NOTHING about maintenance issues such as nib alignment.

edit: thanks also for the picture with the cap unposted! It does look very enticing...

James, thank you for the link. One thing I know I'm not going for, though, is silver. I've actually never been very fond of that look for some reason. :ph34r:

Edited by smudgy

Vanessa

So, having said all that about why I shouldn't order that Stipula...

I am female, and therefore entitled to change my mind on a regular basis.

(I ordered it!) :ph34r:

It's a good deal, I'll probably never have this much money to spend on a pen again unless I do some serious saving, I like the way it looks, and come to think of it, I already have a couple of work horses in my stable... so why not have a thoroughbred? Worst case scenario, I don't like it and sell it on the green board...

I also (gasp!) replaced my Delta with a Signum Orione! Pam Braun has them for the same price for which I sold the Delta, and my husband was okay with an exchange - he said it will be my congratulations-for-getting-the-new-job pen, and I ordered it in teal, which is my new school's color.

As long as I don't get any more for a while. I'm okay with that. :)

Vanessa