Parker Vector

theblackpen

I saw on the "best inexpensive pens" forum that alot of people like it.Does it write smooth? Does it have a F nib?

Thank you!

NO

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• shea2812

• Mike 59

• El Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The first fountain pens I ever used were Parker Vectors, and over the years I've accumulated over a dozen of them. My sentimental attachment to this pen is great. However, I will try to be objective in evaluating it as a writer.

Pros: The Vector is a reliable writer and a durable object. I have dropped mine, left them inked and unused for weeks, taken them on airplanes, neglected and abused them in various ways -- and the Vectors can withstand all of this just fine. They are solid and reliable, write immediately after long periods of unuse, do not leak or explode on airplanes (and I used to fly a _lot_ when I used these), and are resilient to physical abuse. Also, unlike most of my other, nicer pens acquired since, the Vectors have worked with any and all inks I've tried to use on them, even ones that have been highly problematic for other pens. Finally, I think the Parker Vector is just darn good looking: that slender form, those clean parallel lines, and the seamless transition between cap and barrel -- it simply looks perfect. My favorite Vectors are the classic shiny black, but I also have one each in brushed steel, red and blue.

Cons: Having said all these wonderful things about Vectors, I must confess that I am no longer really able to use mine and my attachment to them is mostly sentimental. When I didn't know any better and had never experienced the likes of Aurora, Sailor and Lamy, the Parker vector seemed just fine. But having gotten accustomed to quality nibs and craftsmanship, the Vector falls short on many accounts. First, if you like fine-nibbed pens, the Vector is definitely not for you. It does come in a Fine nib, but the Fine is harder to find; most Vectors out there are medium. However, if you do get your hands on a fine, you will discover there is actually not much difference between a fine and a medium: both write medium, and I would even say, on the wide side of medium. Now again, before I knew that such a thing as fine nibs existed, this was fine with me. However, when I compare my old notes from grad school taken with a Vector to my current notes, the Vector looks like magic marker. A related, but more overarching issue, is that the Vector is rather crudely made. That accounts both for its durability and for its line insensitivity. The nib is stiff and rigid and feels like a thick hunk of metal. Nuances such as line variation, feedback, etc., are foreign concepts when it comes to the Vector. It basically either writes (when there's ink in it) or doesn't (when it's out of ink), and that's that.

To summarize, I still have most of my original Vectors and they are in good working order. But they are kept in the "family bin" and used mostly for making grocery lists and taking down phone messages when one's regular pen is not at hand. I cannot imagine using a Vector for serious writing. Even if you are looking for an inexpensive starter pen, I would actually recommend the Lamy Safari or the Pelikan Steno, around $25 each; or, if you are looking for a small/pocket pen, the Pilot Birdie for $15 . Keep in mind, however, that my opinion is based on the fact that I am an EF writer. If you like Medium nibs, the Vector may be a feasible option for you.

I would never give up my Vectors, and in fact I almost compulsively buy one whenever I spot one, as they have now been discontinued. If, having read all of this, you are interested in acquiring one, there are some good deals on new ones on ebay, black with F nibs and steel with M nibs.

Hope this helps,

QM2

Concur with previous on describing a Vector. I recently picked up a couple Yellow Bug Bunny Vectors for $3 each, including a converter +shipping. But for $5-10 +shipping you have quite a selection of pens to pick from. I'm most experienced with the Hero pens (616, 329, etc). Most have a fine nib and they write well. isellpens.com and others have a selection of Heros and other inexpensive pens.

My deciding factors would be --- do I want to use cartridges or bottled ink, if bottled, the converter for the Parker is usually $2-4 extra. For pens like a Hero they are bottle only, And then what is the price of shipping. Some shipping is as much as the pen.

I give myself a budget amount and then try to see how many different pens I can get for that amount or less. One time got a 9 pen lot from cutepens.com. I would never have picked, but they were so cheap I took a chance. What a great, fun bunch of pens!.

I am fond of saying that the Parker Vector writes like a fork. It is super rigid, and the fine line is a very fat fine, like the Lamy Safari.

However, I use it every day, and it has never let me down. In fact, I left it inked for 5 years in a box, and after a little cleaning, it wrote like brand new.

I use Vectors more than any other pen when I grade—really it's the only pen I use, despite some much "nicer" pens in my collection, Pelikans, Sailors, Esterbrooks, whatever. I don't like carrying expensive pens around and the cartridges you can use with a Vector make them good to take anywhere. They're smooth writers and reliable.

Over the years, I've owned at least 50-60 Vectors. Of those, I lost at least 20 and gave about 20 away; I have this policy that, when someone says they like my pen, or asks about it, I let them try it, and if they enjoy it, I give it to them. A decade ago, my then girlfriend said she couldn't use them anymore because they "symbolize[d] our relationship," whatever that meant—I think b/c I used them all the time and gave her a few. Weird.

They used to cost $4.99 but now it's more like $12.99, and the plastic isn't as sturdy as it used to be. I got another half dozen off ebay a few months ago, and one just outright chipped and kept on chipping until there was no cap left. The rest are fine. For that reason I don't recommend the translucent colors, which seem to be less durable than the "solid" colors. They make them in stainless steel, too.

"Inside his cardboard box, Greg heated a dented can of Spaghetti-O's over a small fire made from discarded newspapers, then cracked open his last can of shoplifted generic beer to celebrate the 10th anniversary of his embarkation on a career as a freelance writer." --Lawrence Person

I've owned a few and agree with the other posts thus far. For just a hair more you can get a Parker 45 which is a much better writer with more nib options.

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

I saw on the "best inexpensive pens" forum that alot of people like it.Does it write smooth? Does it have a F nib?

Thank you!

Only the so called 'flighter' Vectors are in my opinion worth buying. The barrels and caps of plastic Vectors crack quite easy (plastic Vectors are not made to last). The nibs on the Vector are the same as on the Reflex and are ok (the F-nib is the best). The Parker 45 is a better choice.

I also agree with the other posts; the Vector isn't a bad pen. If you find one in a desk drawer or something, or can buy one for less than $5 or so, it's worth it. With the availability of inexpensive Chinese pens though, you can get a much better pen in every respect in the same price range. Some of the Chinese pens are cartridge/converter types as well, giving you the same flexibility as you have with the Vector.

Over the years I have had probably a dozen Vectors (lost, thrown or given away).

Now I have just a single black one with a slide converter. Why have I kept it ? Because it has one of the smoothest nibs I own - yes it is broad even though it is labelled a medium. Quality control is obviously an issue at the end of the price range.

When you get one hope its a good one... if its a good one then it will be a great addition.

Does it write smooth?

For me it feels quite smooth. Vector is okay. I have Parker Vector Stainless Steel. It was my only fountain pen many years. I became a little bit tired of that gripping section, because even that part is made of steel. Sometimes Parker Vector feels like some kind cylinder with ability to write. Now I have other fountain pens, too and it feels good to write with Vector sometimes. But I could not stand Parker Vector if it was my only fountain pen. Nib of Parker Vector is not flexy at all.

Does it have a F nib?

It is available with M and F nib. If you buy it M nib, you can get F nib in Parker Nib Exchange. Ask from Parker-importer of your country for further details. Even F nib of Parker writes quite wide line. Hence, you may need to send it to some ”nibmeister” for grinding. Also converter might be good thing to have, because Parker uses proprietary cartridges.

If you want some cheap but good fountain pen, there are other alternatives. Lamy Safari or Vista with XF nib is good choice, it you don't need flexy nib. Please remeber to buy some converter, because those proprietary cartridges of Lamy are not very common in stationery shops.

Pelikan Steno is good, too: It has very narrow nib with some flexiness. It is ugly, but it just works. It uses short or long international cartridges or corresponding converter.

Juhapekka “naula” TOLVANEN * The Nerd in Black * http://iki.fi/juhtolv

ユハペッカ・「ナウラ」・トルワネン

黒服のナード

About that metal grip of the Vector, doesn't that hinder the grip? Seems to me that smooth plastic or resin feels less slippery than brushed steel.

.... A decade ago, my then girlfriend said she couldn't use them anymore because they "symbolize[d] our relationship," whatever that meant—I think b/c I used them all the time and gave her a few. Weird.

With this Vector I thee begirlfriend.

:D

• 2 years later...

I had about 20-30 Vectors and I hope I'll never have to use one again. They are very sensitive and have almost no flexibility - If you, by mistake, press too hard or write on bad paper etc they start scratching and so on and never return to their original shape. I now have a little more expensive Inoxcrom and wouldnt replace even for 10 Vectors.

-sorry for my English, I'm from a non English speaking country :P-

Edited by sicro

It is a great workhorse pen. It is smooth for what it is: an inexpensive pen with a steel nib. It was my first pleasurable fountain pen and was my everyday pen in highschool.

Long live the Empire!

Wow, I am reading my response from 2007 at the start of this thread. How cute and how young I was back then! How lacking in FP knowledge!

I still have over a dozen of those Vectors today and would recommend them to beginners. An uncomplicated pen without luxury or exquisite beauty, but also without problems. Just keep switching the cartridges out, and it's good to go for hours of note taking.

Fond memories of the Parker Vector from my school days where it was easily (and with good reason given its price) the most popular fountain pen. From what I remember, it was a really good writer. I had no problems with the nib.

Best to use it with cartridges as Parker converters, the standard non-deluxe one, used to be rubbish. It doesn't look as though they've changed it much over the years.

My only quibbles would be the smooth metal grip. It wasn't good for me as long bouts of writing led to my fingers slipping down little by little. The other gripe was about the plastic bits. As others have noted, they weren't built to last. You could almost break the plastic barrel between your fingers. A similar problem in Parker Jotters has kept me away from them for years. In contrast, the plastic on a Lamy Safari feels really solid.

I own 4 vectors - 3 with 'M' nib and one with 'F' nib. Somewhat amazingly judging by other comments here, my 3 'M' nibs write a Medium line and my lone 'F' nib writes a Fine line.

My vectors only last 6 months before the cap-click wears the section to the point that the cap falls off so easily it's unusable. Same happened with my Rialto. Bit annoying really. Otherwise they are non-entities of a pen. No character to love or hate.

Regards,

Richard.

Ah, the brushed metal Vector - the one fine looking instrument (at least to my young and inexperienced eyes!) back in 1991 or 1992 that got me into this mess...

I received it as a birthday present from my Mother after asking for it. For the longest time that was my only FP though I from time to time admired others.

But, looking back on it now, it was a very expensive present in the end! I haven't used it for some time but still hold on to it. And for sentimental reasons will not part with it.

/Tojusi