FPN Board software upgrade, part deux

Admin

Well, that particular option is actually switched off, so either it is faulty, or doesn't work too well, considering some of the reactions I have had from people.

You may have to clear your browser caches and everything (history, temp files, cookies) in order for it to work the way it should, but it was switched off about 1 day after the software update (yes, there is such an option :) ).

If it persists after clearing, there may be one other thing we can do, but I am afraid it won't help a lot. We can force a reset of your cookie from inside the board, if need be. But please clear everything in your browser first, if you don't mind, and let us know if it has helped or not.

I'll contact IPB about this as well.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• Viseguy

• Margana

• Larry T

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wim,

After deleting all the FPN cookies I have changed my IP address a couple of times and I didn't get prompted to log in again. So either that wasn't the problem, or clearing the cookies fixed it!

Thanks,

--

NdP

Hi Kcat,

No I don't have my system set up to dump cookies automatically. I am not having the same problems on any of the other forums. I have visited FPN three times since 3pm today, and I have had to log in every time. I don't type very well, so logging in every time is time consuming, as well as frustating.

Larry

Larry,

Could you please log out, clear your cookies and log in again?

TIA, warm regards, Wim

P.S.: If you're running Google Web Accelerator, deinstall it, please. It causes similar problems, we found.

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Does anyone know what the "Friends" feature is for?

A fellow FPNer added me as a "Friend" (thanks!) but neither of us are really sure what that function is all about....

Thanks in advance,

~Maja

Hi Maja,

I think it is the old buddy system or something like that. The new thing is that it notifies whoever is added. It may well be used for hooking into the separately available chat room. Just a wild guess, though :) .

Warm regards, Wim

Thanks, Wim! Didn't know about the chat room :mellow: ....

Best wishes,

~Maja :)

Hi Maja,

Hey, don't thank me, we don't have that software (yet) :).

Warm regards, Wim

:embarrassed_smile: :embarrassed_smile:

Which tells you how often I go into chat rooms... :lol:

Hi Kcat,

No I don't have my system set up to dump cookies automatically. I am not having the same problems on any of the other forums. I have visited FPN three times since 3pm today, and I have had to log in every time. I don't type very well, so logging in every time is time consuming, as well as frustating.

Larry

yeah - i thought it was a stretch as soon as I typed it.

hopefully the fix that worked for Nom de Plume will work for you.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

It turns out that it didn't even work for me! This evening I have been prompted to log in twice -- apparently it is more random than I thought.

This time I watched the HTTP headers, and it seems that the server is (sometimes) resetting my "member_id" and "pass_hash" cookies to "0" in response to a request for the "/forum" URL. I have saved a copy of the request and response headers if they would be of any use to the admins in working out what is going on.

Log in problem hasn't gone away, but I need the typing practice, so I'll just deal with it.

Kcat, I have been meaning to email you, the Estie desk pen is great! I have used it daily, with no problems. It is amazing how smooth some of these old pens are. I also looked through my parts bin, and found a near-mint taper to replace the scored one. Thanks again.

Larry

Why are my pictures being resized? I save all of my pictures 800 max x 640 max, but I am now finding them shrinked down 80%!! FPN isn't hosting my pictures, Photobucket is, so I'm not using up any FPN resources with 800 wide pics-can somebody throw me a bone here?

Andy

"We certainly hope you all enjoy the show. And remember,

people, that no matter who you are and what you do to live,

thrive and survive, there're still some things that makes us all

the same. You. Me. Them. Everybody. Everybody."

-Elwood Blues, "The Blues Brothers"

Why are my pictures being resized? I save all of my pictures 800 max x 640 max, but I am now finding them shrinked down 80%!! FPN isn't hosting my pictures, Photobucket is, so I'm not using up any FPN resources with 800 wide pics-can somebody throw me a bone here?

Andy

That is a little weird, as the settings are about 1024 X 768 currently. I'll check again.

BTW, this automatic resizing with the option to still see the full image is a new feature in the current version of the board software.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

It turns out that it didn't even work for me! This evening I have been prompted to log in twice -- apparently it is more random than I thought.

This time I watched the HTTP headers, and it seems that the server is (sometimes) resetting my "member_id" and "pass_hash" cookies to "0" in response to a request for the "/forum" URL. I have saved a copy of the request and response headers if they would be of any use to the admins in working out what is going on.

Yes, please pass them on to me, by email or PM. It is very useful for our communication with Invision, so I'd really appreciate it if you could send them along.

In the mean time, I'll do a cookie reset from within the board here. It does mean you will have to login anew, but that may get rid of the problem.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Follow-up:

The picture size is indeed set to 1024 X 768, and the cookie settings are changed to try and fix the current log-in problems some people have.

Still looking for the individual resetting of cookies. Later - need to run now.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Andy

It does make it easier to scroll through picture-laden threads. Like my Prera review. I recommended people click on the picture title (the black bar saying how much it has been resized) to see the full-size image. Mine are usually 600 pixels wide at most. I guess there's still some setting. Maybe it's in our personal settings instead of in the board settings? Dunno but I'll look around. I don't mind it because I don't always want to have to scroll over to view a large image but if I decide I *do* want to see it at it's full size and in greater detail, it's a single click away.

Larry - Glad the pen is working out. Those little 2668s are very smooth for such "cheapie" nibs. Estie did great stuff and I wish other companies would do the same. Pelikan comes close but their standard nibs are rather unimaginative. Dillon tried to get them interested in manufacturing a flex nib I think. Don't think that went anywhere - anyway - not to cause thread drift just glad you're getting some use out of it. Excellent on the taper!

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

No problems so far, other than that I couldn't log in for a while when the upgrade was being done and I didn't know until later....

Only comment I have is that I do not particularly care for the search function so far. I've not been able to figure out how to search only a single forum yet (and this may be that I haven't looked enough). I liked the old search function at the bottom of the page better.

Otherwise, qutie stable and nice for me.

Thanks for all the hard work!

Peter

Only comment I have is that I do not particularly care for the search function so far. I've not been able to figure out how to search only a single forum yet (and this may be that I haven't looked enough). I liked the old search function at the bottom of the page better.

Otherwise, qutie stable and nice for me.

Thanks for all the hard work!

Peter

just click on 'search' at the top of the page and click 'more search options'. you can then choose which forum to search just like the old search function.

-Nick

you have to go down two levels of options and then more options to get to the advanced search.

K

Hmmmmm... I must be missing something. I went to the "Options" menu that appears on the upper right, and I don't see any drill down to another set of options to select Advanced Search. I went through the "Board Settings" in my control panel and didn't find anything there either. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks!

~Gary

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

you have to go down two levels of options and then more options to get to the advanced search.

K

Hmmmmm... I must be missing something. I went to the "Options" menu that appears on the upper right, and I don't see any drill down to another set of options to select Advanced Search. I went through the "Board Settings" in my control panel and didn't find anything there either. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks!

~Gary

click on 'search' in the top right of the screen, then click 'more search options' and it takes you right to where you want to go.

-Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Why do we have to log in to see an "attachment"? I tried to view the image at https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=31352 without logging in but couldn't. This started happening with the upgrade and doesn't affect all images. Are we now a semi-closed community?

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

Hi Margana,

Why do we have to log in to see an "attachment"? I tried to view the image at https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=31352 without logging in but couldn't. This started happening with the upgrade and doesn't affect all images. Are we now a semi-closed community?

Really weird, I can't find anything relating to this. The only settings we have are to show images or not for guests, and they are set to yes, which is the default. I'll dig around a little more this weekend.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

P.S.: Margana, can you maybe post a mesage url here, so I have something to work from? Just click on the post number on the right hand side of the screen, and copy the url, than paste it into a message, please.

TIA, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman