Pilot Prera

KCat

Basically, my pen is involuntarily being transformed into an eyedropper pen, and it can't handle it!

It sounds like your converter is not seated well on the feed. The CON-20 should sit VERY securely inside the pen. Here are some pictures. You can see the CON-20 converter and the Prera feed on the top images. That plastic tab on the feed should go into the converter opening. Then, modest pressure should result in a palpable clicking (no sound, but it feels like it's on). Then you're set. There's no tricks to it. Then you use the button on the converter to empty it of air, and while holding the button down, submerge the nib in ink and suck up ink until the bladder fills. This actually takes a while to learn. If you find yourself utterly frustrated, there is the CON-50 which is a twist/piston converter.

The alarming and less likely possibility is that your converter is broken. Good luck. I hope this helps!

Edited by churl

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KCat

• artaddict

• Taki

• liapuyat

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow! Thank you Churl and Artaddict so much for your help--and pictures! I definitely can't get my pen to do the trick in the last picture. How do you get such a tight seal on it? Is that before or after filling? I've tried sticking it in, twirling it about, pressing and depressing the button in all sorts of combinations and the converter just won't stick, either before or after filling it with ink (or water...after the last few big messes!).

Thank you so much for your kindness!

Macrina

last picture. How do you get such a tight seal on it? Is that before or after filling? I've tried sticking it in, twirling it about, pressing and depressing the button in all sorts of combinations and the converter just won't stick, either before or after filling it with ink (or water...after the last few big messes!).

Twisting is not necessary. Straight pressure is enough. Doesn't matter if the converter is filled or not. If your converter isn't sealing, then I'd recommend trying a cartridge or another converter (like the CON-50). Honestly, I'm quite surprised. The Pilot converters are about as simple as they come. It's not like Parkers or Watermans or Crosses. There's no fancy neck or diameter size.

If you can't get another converter or a cartridge to sit, then it may be your pen. I'd take it to a pen shop, etc. and see if they can help.

Thanks, Churl! (It feels odd to write that--you're certainly not churlish!)

The cartridge it came with is working, and I've ordered the CON-50, so hopefully all will be well. I still love the pen, though: it's both elegant and adorable.

Thanks again!

Macrina

I was scanning this thread...nice pen...but is there an online merchant that currently stocks the Prera? I'm unclear.

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

I was scanning this thread...nice pen...but is there an online merchant that currently stocks the Prera? I'm unclear.

Try http://jpens.com/. I bought two from this merchant, a royal blue and an ivory. The pens shipped quite quickly.

I got mine from JPens which was good with quick turnaround.

I hear good things about Ujuku and they offer the full range of colors for a lot of Japanese pens not available in US, but I've never used Ujuku myself. I'm a little wary of ordering from overseas. I'd rather let someone else do the importing.

I got mine from JPens which was good with quick turnaround.

I hear good things about Ujuku and they offer the full range of colors for a lot of Japanese pens not available in US, but I've never used Ujuku myself. I'm a little wary of ordering from overseas. I'd rather let someone else do the importing.

My experience with Ujuku was excellent though I purchased my Prera from cyberpens.com also with excellent service. I have bought Japanese pens from two eBay sellers with outstanding results as well. There are others that many of us would highly recommend. I would only see a risk in the shipping and that would be true anywhere including through the USPS.

Back to the ivory Prera. What ink colors do you think suit it best? I am enjoying Diamine Dark Brown and Sepia. The combination of the ink and vanilla colored barrel remind me of a caramel sundae or ripple ice cream. Now there's a low calorie treat!

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

The combination of the ink and vanilla colored barrel remind me of a caramel sundae or ripple ice cream.

Yum! You're making me hungry... :drool:

Watermans Flex Club & Sheaffer Lifetime Society Member

Hope Pilot will ship the Prera to Europe. I like the way the Prera looks and, seen the review, the quality of the nib must be very good. ...

Here you go: :happyberet:

http://www.cyberpens.co.uk/Pilot-Prera-Fou...-Pen_ABT8S.aspx

Except it looks like the Pilot pens have been pulled altogether from this site (that link gives page not found, and Pilot no longer is in the index).

B*gger, I was just waiting till pay day before ordering one as well. Is there now no European source at all?

Just as a postscript I ended up ordering a Prera fine in ivory and a Lucina in yellow from Tadashi Yamada at Ujuku. Shipping to Europe for one pen was $15 but only $16.50 for the two. So the Prera effectively is costing me 28 +8.25 or about 18 GBP.

Hi everyone!

But, as I said, I'm a newbie, and I can't seem to figure out the Pilot converter CON-20. (My other pens are the twistie kind of cartridge converter.) I can successfully get ink into the pen, but then as I'm writing ink eventually starts seeping out of the connection between the barrel and the nib. It's like the converter goes flying around inside the pen when I pick up the pen or put it down, and eventually ink makes its way down the threads and out onto my hand. Basically, my pen is involuntarily being transformed into an eyedropper pen, and it can't handle it!

What am I missing? Is there a way to fasten the converter near the nib? I must be doing something wrong.

Any help is much appreciated!

Macrina

Macrina,

I just opened one of my Pilots and found that the converter is leaking - it is an aerometric/squeeze type converter, and the sac must have a hole in it. Could that be what's happening to your Prera?

Watermans Flex Club & Sheaffer Lifetime Society Member

• 2 weeks later...

Artaddict,

Thanks very much--this seems entirely possible! I've given up on my CON-20 and am using the CON-50 instead, which is working nicely and has the benefit of allowing me to see how much ink I have left.

Thanks again!

Macrina

• 2 weeks later...

Arrived my slate grey Prera from Cyberpens, in addition with 2 packets of cartridges as a jeisture of good, because they've forgotten my order. Another nice pen, as always, from Pilot.

Thanks to Richie of Cyberpens.

http://www.webalice.it/charlize/foto/Pilot%20Prera05.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh20/tipstricks_photo/31032009052_cr.jpg - My albums

• 2 months later...

Another fantastic KCat review that is going to end up costing me money...I'm a sucker for good writing. Remarkable, really, that KCat's descriptions made the photos, good as they are, redundant! So, off to JPens to seek out one of these Prera pens. I am hoping that the Medium is a little less fine than on the 78G, a pen that really didn't work out for me, being so needle-thin. . The Prera sounds closer to the VP Medium, which I like. I will also make sure to use the piston-converter---I don't like aerometrics and am never sure if I have filled them to capacity. KCat, I hope that your tortoise has recovered completely since its accident!

I got my Prera today (Lime Green, F nib)! It came from the Ujuku Shop along with a delicious Pilot Legno 89s - lovely service from Mr Yamada as usual. :D

Edited by Phthalo

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

Well, I was spared today: JPens is out of Mediums, and Fine in Japanese nibs is far too narrow for me. This is only temporary respite, as KCat will surely review something else soon and make it seem so good that I'll just absolutely have to have it...

For today, though, I am safe. A good tactic against buying more pens, actually, is to review those that you already have. When I see my Pelikans all lined up, with a couple of Sheaffers and a VP thrown in, I realize that the last thing I need is another fountain pen...

KCat, have mercy!

For today, though, I am safe. A good tactic against buying more pens, actually, is to review those that you already have. When I see my Pelikans all lined up, with a couple of Sheaffers and a VP thrown in, I realize that the last thing I need is another fountain pen...

KCat, have mercy!

I think you're safe for a while. I expect to deplete my checking account significantly with the coming holiday season. Taki already did a great review of another favorite - the Sapporo Slim Mini.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Whatever you do, KCat, don't review the Visconti Wall Street in green...It is tempting enough as it is without your gift of language to make it a must purchase...Have you seen that thing? "Awesome," to borrow the favorite word of young people these days.

The squeeze (bladder) converter fits. I'm using the one from my Pilot 78G. Speaking of 78G, the nib and feed on Prera is identical to that on 78G except for the color :)

KCat, I like the Purple Martin/Black mix :eureka:

Your post about the nib/feed looking the same as 78G got me curious, and looking at my 78G, it actually looks a little different from your Prera pic. Immediately apparent (apart from the color difference) is that the 78G nib does not have brackets around the F. I assume you have both pens, so my real question is, how does the writing compare between the pens? The Prera is shorter, but possibly heavier. Does the Prera weigh around the same as the M400? I have an M200, which is slightly heavier than my 78G, and writes more smoothly, primarily, I think, because of its wider nib. I don't want to even consider spending the money if it is so similar to the 78G that I would not notice any difference, as I already have two 78Gs.

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

The Prera nib and feed is the same as that on the 78G - the difference in the stamp is because the Prera is newer, I think.

I find the Prera nib to be stiffer than the 78G nibs, probably because of the Rhodium plating, and my Prera nib is drier/finer than all four 78G F nibs I have. The Prera is an excellent XXF.

The Prera is slightly heavier than the M400 White Honey, and also slightly shorter - 5mm or so. The Prera is about 15mm shorter than the 78G.

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection