456 replies to this topic

#61 jonro

jonro

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 19:00

I haven't heard of any other printing issues, but in the next version, I'll allow you to change the scaling and page orientation when you print. The next version is being tested now and will be released in the near future.

#62 kudzu

kudzu

Having a ball!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 17:04

Yes, I, too, have the problem of the right side of my pages being cut off when printing regardless of whether I print landscape or portrait, or even if I tell my printer Fit to Scale the document. But looks like there's a new version of the data base just around the corner, so I'm anxiously awaiting its release. Thanks every so much. A great boon to our community.
Kudzu

"I am a galley slave to pen and ink." ~Honore de Balzac

Happy Pan Pacific Pen Club Member!

#63 sgireland

sgireland

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:14

What a great job you did on the Mac version of this program. Though I only have 2 pens at the moment I am sure I will be getting a lot of use out of this database in the future. Thanks for sharing your efforts!

Cheers,

Steve

#64 rroossinck

rroossinck

Donor Pen

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:45

Jon, if for some reason I haven't added my "Amen" to this thread, I'll add it now. "Amen, brother!" thumbup.gif

This is an exceptionally nice program, and it's been really nice to be able to categorize my collection (although also a little condemning - God help me if the main squeeze ever takes a gander at it).
Posted Image
Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

#65 alfredop

alfredop

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 June 2007 - 15:47

Hi,

I have realized a version of the jonro database (more or less the same field and structure) for smartlisttogo, a db application running under PalmOS. I do not know how many palm user there are here, but in the case I can share the database (the only problem is that my database is not a standalone applicaiton, you will need smartlisttogo).

An alternative for PalmOS could be to try to use the jonro database with Filemaker mobile, this should also make possibile to synchronize the handheld with a desktop computer; since I never used Filemaker I'm not sure if this is a feasible option.

Ciao

Genny

#66 TrevorML

TrevorML

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:22

Thanks for the excellent database... much appreciated.

would it be possible to make an "advanced" or "vintage" version that has a full breakdown of all details such as the following list (with example data) ripped off from an eBay auction I saw some time back and have since forgotton who the seller was...

GENERAL
Manufacturer: Croxley
Model: The Croxley Pen
Country of Origin: UK
Dating from (Approximately): 1940's
Filler Type: Lever Filler
Finish:  Green Marble
Trim: gold filled trim
Length: 124mm, 148mm with cap posted.
Overall Condition: Very Good.

CAP
Clip: Gold filled clip, tight, excellent condition, brassing to the end.
Cap Rings: single cap ring - slight brassing.
Marks / Damage: Microscopic surface wear marks and scratches.
Lettering: none
Personalised: No.

BODY
Filling Lever:  gold filled, good condition, not bent.
Blind Cap: N/A
Lettering: "The Croxley Pen, A Dickinson Product, Made in Gt Britain"
Marks / Damage: Microscopic surface wear marks and scratches.
Personalised: No.

NIB
Type: 14ct Gold
Size: Fine, very flexible 
Lettering: "A Dickinson Product, 14ct Gold" 
Nib Condition: Superb, nicely flexible, writes beautifullyl.
Feed Type: Original manufacturers.
Writes: Beautifully

FILLING MECHANISM
Type: Lever filler
Filling Mechanism: in excellent condition
Ink Sack: recently replaced
Holds Ink: Perfectly  

Edited by TrevorML, 13 June 2007 - 15:19.

#67 dogdogminnie

dogdogminnie

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 14:47

Thanks so much for the data base. I'm a new user; first time logging in and it just so happens that this is just what i was looking for and figured I'd have to purchase! This is great -- and for a Mac no less! Thanks so much once again. thumbup.gif

#68 AndyHayes

AndyHayes

Too Many Pens

• Member - Gold

• 1,530 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 July 2007 - 16:58

I started building one a couple of days ago using FM7. I then found this and downloaded it. It's a stunning piece of work and I intend to punch in my very small collection this evening.

As a thankyou I am going to donate a little something to FPN. I hope that you approve.

Thanks again

Andy

#69 kudzu

kudzu

Having a ball!

• Member - Gold

• 1,055 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 22:44

QUOTE(jonro @ May 28 2007, 12:00 PM)  
I haven't heard of any other printing issues, but in the next version, I'll allow you to change the scaling and page orientation when you print. The next version is being tested now and will be released in the near future.

Hi, Jonro - I'm holding off adding to the original database, waiting for the new version. How close are you, or should I go ahead and use the older version, even if I can't print things out now without losing the right side of the page? Will the two versions be compatible, or will I have to reenter all my data? (That's why I've been holding off - I don't want to do that twice!) Again, what a great asset to FPN.

Thanks, Kudzu

Kudzu

#70 jonro

jonro

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,528 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:17

The new database is ready to go. I just need to do a little additional testing on the routines that import data from the old version. I hope to post the new version by the end of the week.

#71 jonro

jonro

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,528 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:18

QUOTE(AndyHayes @ Jul 10 2007, 04:58 PM)  
I started building one a couple of days ago using FM7. I then found this and downloaded it. It's a stunning piece of work and I intend to punch in my very small collection this evening.

As a thankyou I am going to donate a little something to FPN. I hope that you approve.

Thanks again

Andy

That's a nice thought Andy. I'm sure that FPN can use the additional funds.

Regards,

Jon

#72 jicaino

jicaino

lost cause

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:23

downloaded, thanks for you sharing your creatin.
Please don't send PM's, use my e-mail instead. Thanks!

#73 TrevorML

TrevorML

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:28

QUOTE(jonro @ Jul 17 2007, 12:47 PM)  
The new database is ready to go. I just need to do a little additional testing on the routines that import data from the old version. I hope to post the new version by the end of the week.

that is excellent news indeed... any chance of seeing the new features list wink.gif rolleyes.gif

Edited by TrevorML, 17 July 2007 - 03:29.

#74 jonro

jonro

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,528 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:45

QUOTE(TrevorML @ Jul 17 2007, 03:28 AM)  
QUOTE(jonro @ Jul 17 2007, 12:47 PM)  

that is excellent news indeed... any chance of seeing the new features list wink.gif rolleyes.gif

Sure. I'll post it with the new version. smile.gif

#75 TrevorML

TrevorML

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:03

biggrin.gif

I assume lotsa "pretty please" won't help laugh.gif

#76 jonro

jonro

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,528 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:21

QUOTE(TrevorML @ Jul 17 2007, 04:03 AM)  
biggrin.gif

I assume lotsa "pretty please" won't help laugh.gif

I will say this much: After the next release, you won't have any trouble tracking your inks and ink recipes. You will also be able to pay for your pens in Dollar, Euros, Shekels, or any other currency.

#77 TrevorML

TrevorML

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:40

that is great to hear... any word on the extra data fields for us with a vintage pen addiction blush.gif

#78 jonro

jonro

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,528 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 06:06

I've posted a new version of the Fountain Pen Inventory database that includes nearly every request I received that I fellt would improve the database. The biggest changes are the inclusion of a section for inks and ink recipes. Because of the large number of international users, i included two currency fields. One is for the buyer's native currency. The other is for the currency used to purchase the pen, if different. There is a currency table that includes nearly every country on the planet. But, if your's isn't on the list, you can add it.

Nearly everyone is going to want to import their data from the previous version of the database. The new version has an item under the Fountain Pens menu for importing data. Make sure the old version of the database is closed before you start the import. The database will ask if you are running the original version or a more recent version. Unless you are one of a handful of beta testers, select the original version. Select the old version when asked and the data will be transferred to the new version.

The URL of the download page is http://www.jonro.com/downloads/. As before, there is no charge, and you are welcome to share it with your friends. I hope you like the new features and enjoy using the new version.

Jon

Some of the changes in the new version:
Added Year of Manufacture to main screen, allowing for freeform text entry (i.e., Circa 1937)
Subtotal for Purchase Price on Listview
Added FPN Username field
Added Print icon to tableview
Added Sort icon to Listview
Increased size of Description and Miscellaneous
Added slideshow arrows to “big photo” view
Sort in Listview by clicking on column titles
Added Show Unsold Pens to menu
Added Navigation menu and improved navigation with keyboard shortcuts
Fixed caption to display correctly on main page
Fixed issue where generating review would send you to main tab
Added Inks to the database with a bunch of fields and ink samples
Added Ink Recipes in a portal in a tab on the Inks layout
Changed Design in Reviews to Desgin/Size/Weight
Changed Reviews to include rating, if there is a value
Changed layout of Reviews page to move button to left side of screen for visual appeal
Added localized price field with international currencies
Fixed error of Conclusion field on table view and replaced it with Miscellaneous

#79 Margana

Margana

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,927 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2007 - 06:40

Cool! Can't wait to try it out!
A certified Inkophile

#80 AndyHayes

AndyHayes

Too Many Pens

• Member - Gold

• 1,530 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2007 - 06:56

Downloading now!

Thanks a lot

#81 halljer

halljer

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 14:20

Like others here, I cannot express my appreciation enough.

I do have one question--

If I install this to a thumb drive or portable hard drive, will it find my database appropriately if I connect the drive to various computers? I am using the PC version of the database.

Thanks again!

Best regards,

Jerry

#82 jonro

jonro

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,528 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 15:20

I don't see any reason that it wouldn't work, but have not tested that configuration. I'll be interested to know how it works.

QUOTE(halljer @ Jul 23 2007, 02:20 PM)  
Like others here, I cannot express my appreciation enough.

I do have one question--

If I install this to a thumb drive or portable hard drive, will it find my database appropriately if I connect the drive to various computers? I am using the PC version of the database.

Thanks again!

Best regards,

Jerry

#83 kudzu

kudzu

Having a ball!

• Member - Gold

• 1,055 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 00:12

jonro - those of us who have been using and will continue to use your new and improved version of your fantasticallly useful pen database owe you a huge THANK YOU. Wow...and double Wow! Can hardly wait to use the import function. Many thanks.
Kudzu
Kudzu

#84 jonro

jonro

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,528 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 00:53

QUOTE(kudzu @ Jul 24 2007, 12:12 AM)  
jonro - those of us who have been using and will continue to use your new and improved version of your fantasticallly useful pen database owe you a huge THANK YOU. Wow...and double Wow! Can hardly wait to use the import function. Many thanks.
Kudzu

Please let me know if the instructions for importing from the old database were okay or if I need to give a more detailed explanation.

#85 kudzu

kudzu

Having a ball!

• Member - Gold

• 1,055 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 20:14

Hi, Jonro - I just downloaded the new database and checked it out. The strange news is that I didn't have to use the import function at all. I have a folder set up labeled Fountain Pens. Both the original data base and your new 1.5 version were downloaded to it. When I opened the new 1.5 version, all my old pen inventory data were there. Great! Then I printed my inventory out and found that the righthand side still cuts off. It will print through the Date Purchased column, but cuts off the Purchase Price and Date Sold columns. Any fix for that? However, all the other new features you've added are a complete WOW. Thanks so much. Ok, time to go update my inventory!
Kudzu

#86 Isaias

Isaias

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 20:11

I would love to import other member's data base... anyone wanting to share? How can I do that?

#87 jonro

jonro

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,528 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:28

QUOTE(Isaias @ Aug 1 2007, 08:11 PM)  
I would love to import other member's data base... anyone wanting to share? How can I do that?

I was considering something along those lines or an online searchable database. I might add a feature to the next release that would allow everyone to export their records into separate files. These files could be imported into a communal or online version of the database.

Jon

#88 Margana

Margana

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,927 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2007 - 03:34

QUOTE(jonro @ Jul 23 2007, 05:53 PM)  
QUOTE(kudzu @ Jul 24 2007, 12:12 AM)  
Kudzu

Please let me know if the instructions for importing from the old database were okay or if I need to give a more detailed explanation.

I was unable to make it work so more detailed instructions would be appreciated. Thanks! smile.gif
A certified Inkophile

#89 Isaias

Isaias

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:13

QUOTE(jonro @ Aug 1 2007, 10:28 PM)  
QUOTE(Isaias @ Aug 1 2007, 08:11 PM)  

I was considering something along those lines or an online searchable database. I might add a feature to the next release that would allow everyone to export their records into separate files. These files could be imported into a communal or online version of the database.

Jon

That would be more than great. an excelent resource for newbies like me biggrin.gif

#90 deepocean

deepocean

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:24

Hi there,

I just downloaded the program. Very nicely done. Thank you.

But I wonder do you have to fill the database your self or does it come with a database? Because if it comes with a database I cant find it.