462 replies to this topic

#281 Scrog

Scrog

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 16:00

What a beautiful gift to all of us. Thank you. I too am grateful and will use this with my new collection. Many thanks!

#282 dejinshathe

dejinshathe

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 21:05

I've come to FPN looking for information upon which to base purchasing decisions for fountain pens: I plan to build a collection, over the coming years.

I have intermittently desired written records of the multivarious accretions of "stuff" that I have accumulated over time, but have never been able to overcome the seemingly mountainous task of databasing an existing collection (perhaps "pile" or "heap" would be more accurate words).

To be at the beginning of a fountain pen collection, and to have such a fine tool as this inventory at my disposal; this is a good thing that you have done, sir.

I thank you kindly.
-DJ-
In the last week, I've managed to acquire most of the working parts of four fountain pens ... but not one of them is yet going.
Posted Image

#283 wfaulk

wfaulk

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 19:42

Can you tell me what format it is please?
I'm on Linux and may be able to import it, then provide a mysql version?

It's just a database application, not a database. The only data in it is the schema, no records. You have to add your own data. So there's not really anything to import.

That said, does anyone know of a database that tries to be a complete listing of fountain pens in some manner?

Alternately, it would be very cool if this application could be extended to access a remote database instead of the local one, and we could search and investigate each others' pens.

#284 riff raff

riff raff

It's astounding...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2010 - 17:51

I've played around with the OpenOffice.org Base, but I'm not very good at creating usable interfaces. Still, Base looks like a usable application, if anyone wants to try their hand.
-mike

"...Madness takes its toll."

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." – J.R.R. Tolkien

#285 nkk

nkk

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:11

There's always one!
Firstly thanks for this. Can you tell me what format it is please?
I'm on Linux and may be able to import it, then provide a mysql version?

Dave

I would be very appreciative for a Linux version. I currently use OO.org database, but the inability for it to make a freestanding database that can be run anywhere is very annoying.

-Nkk

EDIT: Somehow I managed to break these up into two posts and no one multiquote post. Odd.

Edited by nkk, 31 October 2010 - 07:13.

#286 nkk

nkk

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:13

I've played around with the OpenOffice.org Base, but I'm not very good at creating usable interfaces. Still, Base looks like a usable application, if anyone wants to try their hand.

Base cannot make a databse application that runs alone. Office access and filemaker can do this, but OO.org base is not that far into its development. It is a relatively new addition to the OOo suite. That being said, if one only has one computer, then using base is fine.

-Nkk

#287 riff raff

riff raff

It's astounding...

• Member - Gold

• 978 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 November 2010 - 23:26

Base cannot make a databse application that runs alone. Office access and filemaker can do this, but OO.org base is not that far into its development. It is a relatively new addition to the OOo suite. That being said, if one only has one computer, then using base is fine.

-Nkk

I guess I'm confused, then. To wit:

"When a personal use database is all you need, BASE offers the full HSQL relational database engine, configured for single user, with the data stored right in the BASE file, as well as native support for dBase flat files.

"For power users in the enterprise, BASE delivers native support drivers for a variety of multi-user database engines: MySQL, Adabas D, MS Access and PostgreSQL. In addition, support for JDBC and ODBC standard drivers allows you to connect to virtually any existing database."

Besides, I'd hazard a guess that most people are running this FileMaker database on "only one" computer. :glare:
-mike

"...Madness takes its toll."

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." – J.R.R. Tolkien

#288 knitknitfrog

knitknitfrog

Fibre & Ink junkie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:22

I have read so many positive things about this database ... and I'd love to try it. I have downloaded it a few times over the past month but it only ever opens up the first time and then an Alert dialog box opens (its blank with no details) then it all freezes and a few minutes latter it quits and I get the option to send a report to Mac.
I'm running an Imac OSX version 10.5.8, with a 2.66 Ghz Core 2 Duo and 2Gb 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAm
I've downloaded it a few times and restarted and had the usual Mac updates .. but still can't run the fountain pen data base

any one else with a similarly configured mac having any success?
Please?

Stella

#289 tomagig

tomagig

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:30

Hello,
I downloaded it, was it supposed to come with pens in the DB or for our personal use? What would be nice is say you had it in PHP it could be web based and work on every OS. You could then have shared pens, and maybe interface directly with IPBoard.3(FPN). I may use it tho, but if I ever need a pen DB I will make it in PHP and allow user sign ups, and of course open source it.
Just a thought.
Thanks,
-tomagig

#290 Sagar_C

Sagar_C

Animalia Chordata Mammalia Primates Hominidae Homo S. Sapiens

• Member - Gold

• 1,050 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2010 - 22:47

:bawl: Doesn't work for me. I am using Mac with Snow Leopard 10.6.5.

#291 knitknitfrog

knitknitfrog

Fibre & Ink junkie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2010 - 23:41

that is two of us with mac installation problems then ... will any one help us?
please?

#292 Sagar_C

Sagar_C

Animalia Chordata Mammalia Primates Hominidae Homo S. Sapiens

• Member - Gold

• 1,050 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2010 - 23:46

please?

Not two, actually three: my friend with Mac/Tiger cannot get it to work as well The software never starts!

Edited by Sagar_C, 23 November 2010 - 08:30.

#293 jonro

jonro

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 19:12

please?

Not two, actually three: my friend with Mac/Tiger cannot get it to work as well The software never starts!

What computers and versions of the OS are you using? Are these PPC or Intel-processor Macs?

Edited by jonro, 23 November 2010 - 19:12.

#294 ArchiMark

ArchiMark

Pen Nut & Pretty Good Guy

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 2,309 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2010 - 21:28

FWIW, I've been using the database on my trusty ol' MacBook C2D for over a year with no problems...first with Tiger and then Leopard, and now Snow Leopard, latest version....

All this app is a FileMaker database...those of you with problems with this should see if you can download, install, and run either a demo version of Filemaker or a free runtime version if one's available...if it runs, then the pen database should run I think....

Anyway, very odd....
Digerati & FP Addict
Diplomat #055, Vacumaniac, & Nozacerati

*** Please check my for sale posts in Classifieds ***

#295 jonro

jonro

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,531 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 03:42

Thousands of people have downloaded the database, and I've only received a small handful of people who said they had trouble running it. I may release a new version soon, but I haven't decided how to handle the issue of upgrading people to the newer version.

#296 stylogos

stylogos

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:35

Just downloaded the database on a Mac, and it works fine with with Snow Leopard. Great work for you to build this for the fountain pen collector community. --Rocky

#297 knitknitfrog

knitknitfrog

Fibre & Ink junkie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:28

Good to know I will try it again tomorrow and hope it works for me to
Stella

#298 newgold

newgold

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:37

I hadn't gotten far enough along to make any comments about currency etc. but your attitude to suggestions is a joy.

#299 Robert Alan

Robert Alan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 December 2010 - 00:28

Thousands of people have downloaded the database, and I've only received a small handful of people who said they had trouble running it. I may release a new version soon, but I haven't decided how to handle the issue of upgrading people to the newer version.

Hello! I want to personally thank you for sharing your program. It is so helpful! The only question I have is how do I make a back-up copy. I have Norton software on my PC (Vista), and it's set to automatically back-up my hard-drive to an outboard drive, but I would like to have the inventory on a CD/DVD disk to put in a safe place. I cannot figure out how to do it. Must I have the actual software on the disk, too?

Thanks for any suggestions you could offer.

Best of luck and good health in the New Year. i hope you have a wonderful holiday season!

Cheers, Robert
No matter where you go, there you are.

#300 WontonST

WontonST

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:12

Hello! I want to personally thank you for sharing your program. It is so helpful! The only question I have is how do I make a back-up copy. I have Norton software on my PC (Vista), and it's set to automatically back-up my hard-drive to an outboard drive, but I would like to have the inventory on a CD/DVD disk to put in a safe place. I cannot figure out how to do it. Must I have the actual software on the disk, too?

Thanks for any suggestions you could offer.

Best of luck and good health in the New Year. i hope you have a wonderful holiday season!

Cheers, Robert

If you intend on backing it up onto a CD/DVD, you should just drag the entire folder (with the software) onto the disk. This is because once you burn a disk, you can't add anything else onto it. Therefore, no harm in having a little extra. You can also copy the entire thing from the disk onto another computer without having to get the software all over again; it's convenient.

However, keep in mind that files on a disk are not modifiable. Don't run the software off the disk and modify things because it won't save.

Hope that was of some use.

Regards,
Wonton
-WontonST
www.sanjosecalligraphy.com
www.wontonst.info

[Sponsored Content]