Fountain Pen Database Available for Download

jonro

Earlier, I thanked you for this wonderful contribution to the community.

Sadly, I made the mistake of inputting the price I paid for these pens in the field provided.

Tragically, I made the mistake of looking at the total amount that summed up on the list view. :yikes:

Stunned, I'm no longer sure I should thank you. :unsure:

Oh well, Vincit omnia veritas. :roflmho:

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jonro

• TrevorML

• Bisquitlips

• Deirdre

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jon:

Thanks! What a wonderfully generous contribution to the pen collecting

community.

Best,

Gary K.

I totally agree with Gary!

Alfio

post-24335-1241092646.jpg

69 th D a n i t r i o F e l l o w s h i p p e r - Montblanc WE Lover - NAMIKI addicted

http://www.pennamagazine.com

Thanks for the software. My 2 pens are now entered.

Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right

to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers,

and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie. Revelation 22:14-15

I can't find this. Do I have to buy Winzip?

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

I can't find this. Do I have to buy Winzip?

Rufus,

You will need to find a way to unzip the downloaded file. There are lots of free utilities to do that available for Windows computers.

Jon

Sounds like a very nice database. Unfortunately I have never been able to open it. Any special requirements? I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2. Unzipped and double-clicked the .exe file but no joy. If this is supposed to be self-loading - I mean no other program needs to be installed - then it must be something about my system configuration here.

Thanks!

Jim

I am using a MacBook Pro 15" 2.6GHz 512Mb VRAM latest multi-touch version with all system updates... a fresh copy of the database... and still the same thing... as per the pic

it opens as the pic shows... and within about 5 secs or so drops out completely

:hmm1:

post-3441-1208013402.png

Having exactly the same problem here. Did you find any fix yet?

Geth: Blog | Twitter

I don't know what the problem is; I can't duplicate it here. I could try compiling a new version of the database. Maybe that will make a difference.

jonro, what a wonderful program! Thank you so very much. I'm so glad this thread got bumped while I happened to be looking.

Somebody, please instruct the dummy here who apparently knows even less about her Mac (10.4.11) than she thought. My download was just today and identifies itself as Version 1.5. It opened up just fine and seems to have save the data for the one pen I entered so far just fine. When I click on the User Guide, I just get a page with a cute little house for "return" which takes it away. When I click on Help, I get nothing. (Yeah, I really was going to RTFM, but couldn't find it!) At the moment, I still have the folder sitting on my desktop but did use "keep in doc" for the button to run the software. Do I need to move the folder to Applications or is it more likely there was a glitch in my download or what am I probably doing wrong? Thanks to anyone who can help me.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

Woo-hoo! Got it working this time. I am now pretty sure what happened the last time I tried to use this database: After double-clicking the .exe file nothing seemed to happen. After trying that on several separate occasions I just gave up. No errors in the Event Viewer I could find.

Now I see that after opening the .exe the first thing that happens is a small dialog pops up asking for your name. Actually I should say that the dialog pops "under", at least on my machine. The name dialog opens under any/all open windows and it was probably there the other times I tried this app, but I never found that dialog - never realized it was even there - and just ended the task after a while. BTW, I am running it on Windows XP Pro SP2.

Now that I found that it is working nicely! Thank you for this nice database!!

Jim

I don't know what the problem is; I can't duplicate it here. I could try compiling a new version of the database. Maybe that will make a difference.

Hmm, I googled around but couldn't find anything. The errors I got in my console were the same as posted earlier here. Let me know if you recompile it, I'll be sure to try it out.

Geth: Blog | Twitter

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I could have just missed this but is there a way to add a column in the list view showing how much you sold the pen for? There is a column for the date you sold it but I would like to see how much I paid for the pen then how much I sold it for. It would also be nice to have the sum for pens sold like there is for pens purchased. When do you think the next version will be available? If you need testers I'd be more than happy to give it a go. Thanks for all your hard work!

The coffee database is awesome too!!

I am using a MacBook Pro 15" 2.6GHz 512Mb VRAM latest multi-touch version with all system updates... a fresh copy of the database... and still the same thing... as per the pic

it opens as the pic shows... and within about 5 secs or so drops out completely

:hmm1:

post-3441-1208013402.png

Having exactly the same problem here. Did you find any fix yet?

Me too-- new iMac using OS X 10.5.6. I could run the windows version via boot camp, but... well, you know.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just want to say I have had this for a while now but only started using it for real today. I have nearly all of my pens in now. It is wonderful, easy, and I thank you, truly, for offering this to the community.

"In this world... you must be oh, so smart, or oh, so pleasant. Well for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."

Thanks for sharing this great lil' app!

Looks great too on my MacBook C2D, running OSX 10.5.7...

:thumbup:

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Jon Thanks,

I downloaded the database to my Mac but it starts up and then shuts down immediately, can you help. thanks and regards

Ashish Wakhlu

My fountain pen inventory database is ready to download. There is a version for both Mac and PC users. The database maintains a lot of useful information about your fountain pen collection, including basic descriptive info, prices paid, repairs made and unlimited photographs. It also makes it very easy to post reviews to FPN. This database isn't associated with FPN, but I did add a couple of features that plays nicely with FPN.

As I mentioned, there's a Mac and a PC version. I ran into some font issues on the PC and had to make a a couple of small changes to the PC version in order to get it posted without delay. There isn't a large difference, but the Mac version looks a little nicer.

When you download it and unzip it, you will see a file and a folder named Fountain Pen Inventory. The file is an alias to the main program file in the folder. I don't usually distribute my solutions as standalone runtime databases. I've tested it as carefully as I could, but let me know if you have any issues. Even better, let me know if you like it, too. There is no charge for Fountain Pen Inventory. It's my gift to the FPN fountain pen community. You can redistribute it to someone else, but are not allowed to charge for it, modify it or present it as your own work.

Enough of the intro, you can download it at: http://www.jonro.com/downloads/

Regards,

Jon