The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Hand position for copperplate.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 antoniosz

antoniosz

ET IN ARCADIA EGO

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 01:33

To begin with, lets see what people did in the past. Here we have a generic quill holding position:

Posted Image
(http://saulwick.alph.../gifs/quill.gif)

and the next one is from Mr. Pickering's site. This position is perfect for italic calligraphy because it places the pen at the 45 degree angle that is suggested for italic.

Posted ImagePosted Image
(http://www.jp29.org/cal104.JPG and http://www.jp29.org/cal107.JPG)

Copperplate(-ish) work is different. As you can see from my suggestion below, to achieve maximum flex with minimum force, the nib slit has to line up with the slope of the letters.

Posted Image

This is "difficult" in the "classic" position because the pen is at a relatively large angle with respect to the slope of the letters:

Posted Image

To avoid this problem the copperplate practitioners employed the oblique holder that was correcting the angle of the nib with respect to the slope of the letters:

Posted Image

One possibility is to rotate further the paper like this:

Posted Image

What I usually like is this one. I like it because: (1) it make the holding position of the pen even lower (and this reduces the force needed for flexing - the lower the easier to flex), and (2) my index finger is quite strong if I really have to press hard. For everyone else - whatever works :)

Posted Image

Edited by antoniosz, 17 February 2007 - 20:16.

Sponsored Content

#2 grasshopper

grasshopper

Inlaid Outlaw

• FPN Hon. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,432 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 12:53

Many thanks, Antonios.

Will try to post my first attempt at flexing my pen soon.

You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes... you just might find... you'll get what you need...

#3 KCat

KCat

Honorary Administrator

• FPN Hon. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,581 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2005 - 21:07

Thanks much antonios - I've been holding my pen (the flex one that is) very close to the position shown in the last picture.

I tried some larger letterforms yesterday and it wasn't bad... i'll never flourish like a pro... but i was able to keep the forms fairly consistent.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

#4 wimg

wimg

Stip Etruria nut :)

• FPN Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,481 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2005 - 21:17

Hi Antonios,

Thank you for sharing that. For some reason I never thought of rotating the paper, while I always have the greatest problems to get maximum flex in the direction of the descenders. I have tried to locate one of those off-set nib holders over here, locally, but not been able to find one yet.

I'll try rotating the paper a little later this coming week.

Thanks again!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

#5 Leslie J.

Leslie J.

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 June 2005 - 21:59

I actually always write with my paper turned that far CCW. :o My only flex nib is a WM Ideal No. 2 on a WM 52V, but what I really can't do is get the extra fine line out of it. Just too wet noodly perhaps? It really doesn't require much pressure at all to get the flex, but the regular line is not fine enough I think.

I think my other flaw is that my natural grip is angled too high. This is not easy stuff!

Edited by Leslie J., 12 June 2005 - 22:01.

Never lie to your dog.

#6 antoniosz

antoniosz

ET IN ARCADIA EGO

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 00:01

To get the fine line you need no pressure at all. Essentially the pen should only have its own weight. If that does not do it could be that the nib is not fine or that it is too wet. The paper also plays a role.

#7 Gran

Gran

U. S. A.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 13:13

Antonio, thanks very much for such a lovely explanation.!
May you have pens you enjoy, with plenty of paper and ink. :)

Please use only my FPN name "Gran" in your posts. Thanks very much!

#8 Ondina

Ondina

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,923 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 14:41

I'll just add to the choir of thank yous, Antoniosz. So very practical and well explained.

#9 Lemonshark

Lemonshark

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:26

I just purchased a Waterman 52 with the Waterman Ideal No. 2 nib. This is my first flex pen and I've searched online but couldn't find anything about the nib. My question is, do flex pens generally lack tipping material? Or is my nib just really worn down?

Sponsored Content

|