Favorite ballpoint...

Zebra F301s are my favorite, especially when waterproofness is necessary. Works better than a Parker gel, only SLIGHTLY less smooth

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gregoron

• Apollo

• dapv

• MicheleB

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Parker Sonnet Cisele with gel refill

Rotring Newton with gel refill

Mont Blanc Meistertuck with medium refill

Lamy Safari

Cross Century II with fine refill

........the list could go on and on......one favourite - not sure that's possible.......

I've liked pens for a long time, but it was only about a year ago that I really switched over to FPs, so I do have a number of refillable BPs.

Like some of the posters above, I really do like the blue Parker Gels. I've got a lot of nice pens that take this refill, but I think my favorite is the Caran d'Ache Ecridor Retro. The Ecridor was my daily carry for about four years...it's all dinged up, but I still really like it.

I've also got a Meisterstuck BP (everyone on Wall Street had one back in the day...) I'm not so crazy about the MB BP refills, though. I picked up a couple of the Yafa gel refills for the MB, but I haven't gotten around to trying them yet.

I've accumulated three Cross Century BP and pencil sets over the years...I recently tried a new Cross BP refill and was pleasantly surprised...much more free-flowing and smoother than I remembered in the past. Have they improved their refills recently?

As a backup/pocket pen, I recently got a Lamy pico, which I love. I also like the Fisher bullet pens...a design classic with a great refill.

On the expendable/disposable side, I like the metal Zebra F-301s and the Pilot G-2s. I usually keep a couple in my bag as spares/loaners. If I could find a classic lacquer or resin pen that took the G-2 refill, that would be great.

Pelikan Belle and Waterman Expert II. I expect I'll like Parker Urban when I get my hands on one...

If I could find a classic lacquer or resin pen that took the G-2 refill, that would be great.

I use G2 refills in my Pelikan Pharo roller (the one I carry in my pocket for signing credit card slips and such), so I assume they should fit into other Pelikan rollers as well.

The pen is only mightier than the sword if people can read, write and think – and there are no swords in reach.

- Julian Smith

If I could find a classic lacquer or resin pen that took the G-2 refill, that would be great.

Although not really a classic, an aluminum Lamy Tipo is a nice casing for Pilot G-2 refills. It's retractable and shorter than the G-2.

You are what you write

More than you are what you say

But, do more than write

(my haiku)

-----------------------------------

- No affiliation with any vendors or manufacturers mentioned above.

- Edits done for grammatical purposes only.

Although not really a classic, an aluminum Lamy Tipo is a nice casing for Pilot G-2 refills. It's retractable and shorter than the G-2.

I have a Lamy Swift which uses the same M66 refill as the Tipo, but G2 refills are much easier to find in a pinch. What kind of modifications did you do to make the G2 refill fit your Lamy Tipo?

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

I have a Parker Urban and while I like it overall, it is not made with the solid precision that some pens in it's price bracket have. Sometimes the twist mechanism does not grab for instance and you have to twist it back and slowly engage to get it to work. It has nice heft and feels comfortable when you get into the writing mode. I know it is a lot more expensive, but I think the Parker Sonnet Ciscele ball point, has just the right heft, balance, precision and good looks. I get a lot of compliments on that pen especially when I let someone use it. I have a couple Scheaffers that write well, but do not look quite as nice. A Sensa that wrote great till I lost it.

Poxy

Life is like a 10 speed bike, Most of us have gears we never use. Charles Schulz

Since a ballpoint pen is part of my daily standard FP/BP/MP carry, I either have pens that come as a threesome, or in the case of older pens, pens that closely match.

Of the vintage BPs, one of my favorties is a converted Eversharp Skyline CA that now takes Parker refills. I recently got a Sheaffer Crest BP that goes well with a goldplated Touchdown FP/MP set -- the widgets do work well. The Parker 17 BP fits well with a Vac or a English Duofold.

The Balance II BPs harmonize nicely with the original Balance pens, and the stainless steel Parker Jotters go good with a "51." I sometimes use a 45 MP/BP set with my "51s" also.

For writing comfort, the Rotring Core BP is the best, with Sheaffer No Nonsense Pens a close second. If you like big pens, these are it.

If I had to carry only one BP, it would be a Jotter with a Parker or Itoya gel refill.

And if anyone knows where some Esterbrook BP refills can be found, send that person my way!

I was given the Eversharp Skyline ballboint to match my FP.....Gold Cap, black bottom. Love that pen, but refill ran out and I didn't know which to buy.

Please explain my options for this pen!

Well, I have an Eversharp CA ballpoint and I use a cheap Bic disposable ballpoint refill in it. The original Evesharp refills for the CA and Skyline are no longer made and I doubt they would still work after 60+ years, even if you found some new old stock (due to drying out...but you never know)...

There is a way of drilling a hole through the old Evesharp refill and converting it to fit a modern Parker Gel refill, but I don't have the guts to try it at home :lol:

Link to Eversharp CA ballpoint refill query on FPN: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...?showtopic=4741

I have a Lamy Swift which uses the same M66 refill as the Tipo, but G2 refills are much easier to find in a pinch. What kind of modifications did you do to make the G2 refill fit your Lamy Tipo?

None whatsoever Black Adder (nice avatar).

The G2 refills fit inside the Tipo right off the package. I noticed more tension in the springs though, but not much. Just make sure that your Lamy Swift's section (where the refill tip comes out) is the same width as the Tipo's. I tried using Uniball and Zebra refills, which I prefer to the Pilot's because they are more waterproof, but they wouldn't go through the hole in the section. I could also fit Hauser refills in my Lamy Tipo.

Yes, G2 refills are cheap and more readily available. They come in Navy Blue too, which I like. As an aside, I've also opened an empty Lamy M66 refill and filled it with bottled ink. It works. It just writes a little broader than the original.

You are what you write

But, do more than write

(my haiku)

The Zebra pocket pen rates high as well, but I cannot find refills so I've taken to carrying the F-301 Compact as a pocket pen.

As a pocket pen, I prefer the latter anyways as you are less likely to stab yourself with the Compact Pen in your pocket than, ironically, the Pocket Pen.

You are what you write

But, do more than write

(my haiku)

The G2 refills fit inside the Tipo right off the package. I noticed more tension in the springs though, but not much. Just make sure that your Lamy Swift's section (where the refill tip comes out) is the same width as the Tipo's. I tried using Uniball and Zebra refills, which I prefer to the Pilot's because they are more waterproof, but they wouldn't go through the hole in the section. I could also fit Hauser refills in my Lamy Tipo.

Yes, G2 refills are cheap and more readily available. They come in Navy Blue too, which I like. As an aside, I've also opened an empty Lamy M66 refill and filled it with bottled ink. It works. It just writes a little broader than the original.

Thanks for the info. I tried a G2 refill in the Swift and while it does fit, it doesn't retract. It's probably because of the pocket clip mechanism on the pen. Incidentally, I tried a Uniball 207 gel refill and it also fits, but doesn't click into place. I suppose with a slight modification to the refill, I can get them to work in the Lamy Swift. I'm also wondering if a Parker gel refill can be modified to replace the M16 refill in my Lamy Safari ballpoint.

Edited by Apollo
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

Thanks for the info. I tried a G2 refill in the Swift and while it does fit, it doesn't retract. It's probably because of the pocket clip mechanism on the pen. Incidentally, I tried a Uniball 207 gel refill and it also fits, but doesn't click into place. I suppose with a slight modification to the refill, I can get them to work in the Lamy Swift. I'm also wondering if a Parker gel refill can be modified to replace the M16 refill in my Lamy Safari ballpoint.

Hmmm, when you say it doesn't retract, does the ballpoint tip still protrude even though the clicking mechanism is already retracted? It may be that the G2 refill's tip is too thick for the Swift.

I asked about Parker Refills to replace Lamy ballpoint refills and someone said it wouldn't work off the box. Let me know if you find a way to modify it.

You are what you write

But, do more than write

(my haiku)

Hmmm, when you say it doesn't retract, does the ballpoint tip still protrude even though the clicking mechanism is already retracted? It may be that the G2 refill's tip is too thick for the Swift.

I asked about Parker Refills to replace Lamy ballpoint refills and someone said it wouldn't work off the box. Let me know if you find a way to modify it.

My mistake. What I meant to say is that the Pilot G2 refill fits inside the Lamy Swift, but doesn't "click" into place. Now, if I remove the little plastic tab at the end of the G2 refill, it will click into place and retract, but the point doesn't stick out far enough. I may have to experiment with different springs. I figure a Uniball 207 refill may also work with a little trimming. I did examine a couple of Parker and Fisher refills to see if there's a way to modify them to fit the Lamy Safari ballpoint, but it seems unless you can extend the refill with some plastic end cap they won't work. Besides, the Lamy M16 ballpoint has a small black tab toward the front with notches that won't fit on the Parker-type refills should you try and slip it on, but I'll still keep at it to see if there if I can get one modified. I haven't checked out any Zebra refills yet, but I'll probably look into modifying those as well. Obviously, one could always keep a stockpile of Lamy refills, but it would be nice to be able to use other refills as a last resort.

Edited by Apollo

• 2 months later...

I actually have a few ball points.

My favorite ballpoint right now is a Cross Merlot Verve but...

I work for the NYC Fire Department and my fountain pens are just not practical for use while working so I've come to rely on a Cross Vapor Ballpoint and mecanical pencil set that I purchased on Ebay for $20.00 with the intent of reselling. After the pda stylus tip came off of my Cross Morph (which by the way is a great work horse pen) and I found myself too pen snobbish to carry it anymore I started using the Vapor. For work purposes I love it!

NightWriter

Carandache Metwood, and one of the older OMAS Arte Italiana with the older style cartridge. I rarely use a ballpoint, but when I do, it is one of these.

the Danitrio Fellowship

Parker Jotter loaded with Schmidt Super Bowl refills. These refills make an already excellent ball pen even better.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional and illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Can anyone tell me what other manufacturers use standard parker refills in their ballpoints?

... Parker refills can also be used in Ballograf pens.

I just bought a Ballograf Epoca and have been happy with it. It has a wider barrel, which makes it easier to hold and the quality of the plastic is better than a Parker Jotter. All that for less than $8 bucks.

I was surprised to find that the blue Ballograf refill it came with is archival with the DIN 16554-2 rating, which is similar to Parker's ISO 12757-2 rating. I just did not like the blue color. So, I tried to fit a standard Parker refill in this pen but it is too long and it protrudes from the section. I then disassembled the advancing mechanism by pushing it out the barrel with the clicker. Next, I cut off the small plastic notch that goes into the Ballograf refill's cylindrical end. I also had to trim the Parker refill so it fits nicely. Finally, my Ballograf takes Parker refills. It could also now take Caran D'Ache refills and still take the original Ballograf refill it came with.

Do you know which Ballograf pens (other than the gel version) takes Parker refills right off the box?

Never had a problem using Parker style refills (from Schneider) in the Ballograf pens I use (and never modified anything on them). Just checked it with a Ballograf Rondo and a Parker branded refill (and it did fit correctly). There are even some Bic branded Rondo's and Epoca's that are identical pens and were fitted by Bic with Parker style refills. The Bic Rondo is still available. Ballograf has even a Parker style refill in it's range (see this link) but on it's website it does claim that it fits Rondo, Opus and the Opus2 pens.

Now there's a difficult one! I have (and do use) several ballpoint pens. Here are a few of my favourites:

Lamy Twin Pen: stainless steel finish and fitted with a black bp refill and a 0.5mm pencil. The pencil is pocket safe, as the mechanism retracts without having to push the lead back into the sleeve.

Rotring 600: Chunky and tool like. A fantastic durable ballpoint suitable for use in any environment. Can use Parker gel refills without modification.

Rotring 900: The famous 'Side-Knock' ballpoint, featuring a unique retractor mechanism where the pen bends in the middle to activate the mechanism. Sounds wacky, but it makes perfect sense when you use it. Fantastic!

Lamy Swift: Another vote here for Lamy's great capless rollerball pen. The retractable clip makes for comfortable gripping, and the clip itself will grip onto any material, no matter how thick.

Lamy Spirit: Another Lamy pen makes the list, although this one is not for everyone due to the extreme slimness of the barrel. A polished stainless steel beauty, this little pen. Unique in the respect that the entire pen body and clip is folded from a single piece of steel. You can see this on Lamy's website. A wonderful attention grabbing design.